For those in retirement age and who splurged or was over conservative in your youth....

DH is retired and I'm getting close.

I don't regret a dime that we spent on vacations. We economized in other areas and made travel a priority, while fully funding our retirement accounts. We also made some lucky decisions on real estate (our home tripled in value in a very short period of time). We drove older cars, bought second hand, brown bagged it for lunches, didn't spend much on entertainment, birthday/Christmas gifts, etc., in order to be able to fund travel. In the early years we stayed at budget places wherever we went. Once we had more money, we went more toward the mid-range prices. The first time we did a deluxe resort was in 2017 when DH and I stayed at AKL for 3 nights.

Life is short.

I lost both of my parents to cancer. My sister is brain-damaged from being in a coma for several months last summer. My brother is battling cancer and is currently in the hospital with Legionnaires Disease.

My only regret is that I didn't discover the magic of WDW sooner. We go every couple of years, and after years of staying Value, we only stay Deluxe. We have fallen in love with the Polynesian. In April, we are flying first class to Arizona to see family and then on to California to Disneyland for six days.

We are living now and making the most of every single day that we are alive.
I am so so sorry for your misfortune. Enjoy your life and live it to the fullest!

When the kids were at home and I was a single mom, I took them to Disney every year. More often than not, it was going to Anaheim,staying in a nearby hotel and eating dinner offsite. That was probably more than I could afford, but it was important to us. Now that I'm nearing retirement age, I'm playing catch up with my retirement savings and I'm perfectly ok with that. It's just money and I'm so glad for the special trips I had with the kids. Life is short.
This exactly

Within reason, I'd rather spend the money NOW, instead of spending the money during my retirement. Today, my kids are young, and my wife and I are healthy and enjoy walking around Disney 10 miles per day. Tomorrow, I could drop dead with a brain aneurysm.

Within reason, I'd rather spend the money NOW, instead of spending the money during my retirement. Today, my kids are young, and my wife and I are healthy and enjoy walking around Disney 10 miles per day. Tomorrow, I could drop dead with a brain aneurysm.

It's a guessing game. You may be right. Or you may live to 100 and be in perfect health until you just don't wake up one day, but run out of money at 90.

I read this entire post thread during my lunch hour. Husband and I are in our 40's so the title really intrigued me. You guys are always a wealth of information...

Then... as I'm working feverishly (like every other day) I look out of the window from my 58th floor office I see that the traffic has stopped, in all of the lanes, on one of the the highways. I know from Houston traffic experience that this can't be good. I then suddenly realize that it has been stopped for about an hour. I mention it to my coworkers and decide to look on the local news. Sadly, I am right. There's a fatality. Someone in the middle of his day has died in Houston traffic and unfortunately, it happens every single day. Could've been me, could've been you.

So I've decided to post this -- I feel that we should live, save and spend how we're most comfortable. Live today like it's our last day on this Earth...

I read this entire post thread during my lunch hour. Husband and I are in our 40's so the title really intrigued me. You guys are always a wealth of information...

Then... as I'm working feverishly (like every other day) I look out of the window from my 58th floor office I see that the traffic has stopped, in all of the lanes, on one of the the highways. I know from Houston traffic experience that this can't be good. I then suddenly realize that it has been stopped for about an hour. I mention it to my coworkers and decide to look on the local news. Sadly, I am right. There's a fatality. Someone in the middle of his day has died in Houston traffic and unfortunately, it happens every single day. Could've been me, could've been you.

So I've decided to post this -- I feel that we should live, save and spend how we're most comfortable. Live today like it's our last day on this Earth...
Amen.

Responding to several thoughts on this thread, which are only loosely related:

1. As for "you might drop dead" tomorrow -- yeah, that's true, but statistically you're likely to live about 78 years. Sure, someone's going to die in his 40s, and that's terribly sad, but it's also terribly sad to be 75 and need to work as a Walmart greeter. I feel sure the Walmart greeters outnumber the "he was too young" tragedies.

2. A very good reason to save aggressively from a young age: We all assume that we have plenty of years ahead of us, but not all of us do. I'm in my 50s, and I know a number of people who've been laid off shortly after 50. I know a couple people who've died too young, but I know more people who've been forced to end their careers earlier than expected -- and it's tough both emotionally and financially not to be able to retire "on your own terms".

This seems to be particularly true of men in tech-y jobs; it's like companies think these workers have an "expiration date". Seriously though, part of it is that these tech-y types earn big paychecks, and (shortly after age 50) companies realize they can ditch the "old guy" and hire two just-out-of-college guys -- and they do it! If this happens to you, it's very hard to get another job -- age-ism is very real. Keep in mind, too, that someone's going to be disabled and unable to work. So many things can happen to cut short your working years, and the best way to protect yourself against that difficulty is to start saving while you're young.

3. As for helping your parents -- you owe it to them. They raised you, and unless you're in the unfortunate position of having a genuinely toxic family, you should be there for them in their elderly years. Hopefully they have money to cover their expense, but you owe it to them to help them when they slow down and need help with driving to appointments, heavy cleaning, and so forth.

4. Finally, to those of you who lament the "demise" of pensions, three points:

- At no point in American history have most Americans had pensions.

- Pensions really are a double-edged sword. Earning a pension typically requires 20-30 years, and most people today don't stay in the same job that many years ... or their spouse is offered a job in another state ... or they are laid off before they can complete those years (again, age-ism). I don't think it's lack of loyalty so much as a shift in societal thinking and the possibility of making more money by moving to another job. Keep in mind, too, that it's impossible to gauge how much your pension will be worth because none of us know how many years we'll live. Someone's going to live to be 102 and squeeze that pension for all it's worth, but someone else is going to start drawing a pension at 65 and die at 67, having only received a pittance of what he paid into the system -- a person who has roughly the same amount in a 401K at least has the solace of knowing he can leave that money to his kids, but a pensioner who dies "young" loses that investment.

- Pensions tend to be offered in jobs that offer a lower paycheck. Government jobs such as teaching, military, etc. The pension is a trade-off for the lower pay; it gives a person the opportunity for a comfortable /modest retirement IF those 20-30 years are completed.

- Pensions tend to be offered in jobs that offer a lower paycheck. Government jobs such as teaching, military, etc. The pension is a trade-off for the lower pay; it gives a person the opportunity for a comfortable /modest retirement IF those 20-30 years are completed.
Well, according to a Pew Study done in 2013 the average public sector non-military job pays 27% more than a comparable job in the private sector. And they have pensions.
Teaching, as I have learned on the DIS boards, can have pay that can vary wildly. $45,738 starting pay right out of college to $92,353 after 20 years in the district I live in for a 9 month contract. Entry level teaching pay is frighteningly close to what I make with 40 years experience in a job that required a college degree. https://www.sanjuan.edu/cms/lib/CA0...18-19 K-12 Regular Salary Schedule Ver1.0.pdf

Well, according to a Pew Study done in 2013 the average public sector non-military job pays 27% more than a comparable job in the private sector. And they have pensions.
Teaching, as I have learned on the DIS boards, can have pay that can vary wildly. $45,738 starting pay right out of college to $92,353 after 20 years in the district I live in for a 9 month contract. Entry level teaching pay is frighteningly close to what I make with 40 years experience in a job that required a college degree. https://www.sanjuan.edu/cms/lib/CA01902727/Centricity/domain/116/documents/salary schedules/certificated salaries/2018-19 K-12 Regular Salary Schedule Ver1.0.pdf
As with many things, that varies greatly from state to state and district to district.

I guess I'm ready to attemp to construct an intelligent response. I did not have a "typical" adult life. It started out pretty ordinary. I went to college for 5 years, got married at 23, bought a house, then went back to get my required masters degree. After 2 years of marriage I ended up divorced. I had a car payment and my ex signed a quit claim deed on the house but I had to refinance it. The only way to do that was to pay the car off, so my brother paid it off for me and I made payments to him, along with my house payment to the bank. So things suddenly got tough. Not to mention I was paying for my masters classes.

A couple years later I got engaged to my husband. He was also divorced but he had kids and child support. When we got married I took on that responsibility. After we got married my husband was sued because the house he and his ex sold in their divorce had termites. He ended up losing the suit and had to file bankruptcy. It was devastating. The lawyer recommended chapter 11. I would never suggest that. He paid over $500 a month for 40 months before it was discharged. This was in addition to child support payments.

I don't think it is surprising to know there wasn't much saving going on during those years. And it wasn't all about finances. It really tested our relationship.

We made it through that and then we weathered a couple job changes/losses. We managed to take a few nice vacations even when things were lean. We also managed to send our son to private schools.

If I didn't have a pension we would be in a world of hurt right now. We were never able to build our dream house and pay it off like "normal" people. But we have done the best we could with the hand we were dealt. I can't say that I am happy with every decision we have made but we continue to look ahead and strike a balance in our lives. Many people would say we haven't saved enough, but we have several pieces of property that are assets for us. That's the way it is and we will make do.

Responding to several thoughts on this thread, which are only loosely related:

1. As for "you might drop dead" tomorrow -- yeah, that's true, but statistically you're likely to live about 78 years. Sure, someone's going to die in his 40s, and that's terribly sad, but it's also terribly sad to be 75 and need to work as a Walmart greeter. I feel sure the Walmart greeters outnumber the "he was too young" tragedies.

2. A very good reason to save aggressively from a young age: We all assume that we have plenty of years ahead of us, but not all of us do. I'm in my 50s, and I know a number of people who've been laid off shortly after 50. I know a couple people who've died too young, but I know more people who've been forced to end their careers earlier than expected -- and it's tough both emotionally and financially not to be able to retire "on your own terms".

This seems to be particularly true of men in tech-y jobs; it's like companies think these workers have an "expiration date". Seriously though, part of it is that these tech-y types earn big paychecks, and (shortly after age 50) companies realize they can ditch the "old guy" and hire two just-out-of-college guys -- and they do it! If this happens to you, it's very hard to get another job -- age-ism is very real. Keep in mind, too, that someone's going to be disabled and unable to work. So many things can happen to cut short your working years, and the best way to protect yourself against that difficulty is to start saving while you're young.

3. As for helping your parents -- you owe it to them. They raised you, and unless you're in the unfortunate position of having a genuinely toxic family, you should be there for them in their elderly years. Hopefully they have money to cover their expense, but you owe it to them to help them when they slow down and need help with driving to appointments, heavy cleaning, and so forth.

4. Finally, to those of you who lament the "demise" of pensions, three points:

- At no point in American history have most Americans had pensions.

- Pensions really are a double-edged sword. Earning a pension typically requires 20-30 years, and most people today don't stay in the same job that many years ... or their spouse is offered a job in another state ... or they are laid off before they can complete those years (again, age-ism). I don't think it's lack of loyalty so much as a shift in societal thinking and the possibility of making more money by moving to another job. Keep in mind, too, that it's impossible to gauge how much your pension will be worth because none of us know how many years we'll live. Someone's going to live to be 102 and squeeze that pension for all it's worth, but someone else is going to start drawing a pension at 65 and die at 67, having only received a pittance of what he paid into the system -- a person who has roughly the same amount in a 401K at least has the solace of knowing he can leave that money to his kids, but a pensioner who dies "young" loses that investment.

My dad worked in a techy job. He worked for several different companies as a quality assurance manager/director. He never got laid off, but was instead lured away from all his jobs by headhunters who presented better and better offers. In tech jobs, at management level and above, people are valued for their talent, regardless of age. He started his final "new job" at the age of 62 and worked until he turned 68. If you are good at what you do, age isn't a factor.

On the subject of pensions, almost every one offers a type of insurance that you can purchase that will continue to extend a portion of your pension payment to a surviving beneficiary for the remainder of his or her life. My MIL collects 50% of my late FILs postal jobs pension, after he died young. She has been collecting it since 2009 and it will continue for the rest of her life. Military pensions also provide up to 55% payments to a designated beneficiary upon death. It's not like once a pensioner dies, the money is lost forever. Even 55% of my husband's military pension is worth about $2.5M if I live to be just 80, more if I live longer.

Wi
My dad worked in a techy job. He worked for several different companies as a quality assurance manager/director. He never got laid off, but was instead lured away from all his jobs by headhunters who presented better and better offers. In tech jobs, at management level and above, people are valued for their talent, regardless of age. He started his final "new job" at the age of 62 and worked until he turned 68. If you are good at what you do, age isn't a factor.

On the subject of pensions, almost every one offers a type of insurance that you can purchase that will continue to extend a portion of your pension payment to a surviving beneficiary for the remainder of his or her life. My MIL collects 50% of my late FILs postal jobs pension, after he died young. She has been collecting it since 2009 and it will continue for the rest of her life. Military pensions also provide up to 55% payments to a designated beneficiary upon death. It's not like once a pensioner dies, the money is lost forever. Even 55% of my husband's military pension is worth about $2.5M if I live to be just 80, more if I live longer.
With my teaching pension I had the option to give a benefit to my husband if I predeceased him and collect a smaller amount per month or collect the maximum and if I die it's gone. I chose the max. I got advice both ways and decided this was the best risk for my situation.

There is a saying I love that balances the need to splurge and enjoy life, without YOLOing one's way to becoming broke and dependent upon others for even daily necessities.

"You can do anything, but you can't do everything"
I like that. Do you know what it is from?

i haven't read that particular study but most recent ones i've see show this kind of disparity to largely only exist in entry level positions that require a high school diploma or less with the disparity decreasing or the opposite with positions that require higher level education.

makes sense-an entry level job in the public sector is going to come w/a benefits package that no private employer would dream of offering for a comparable job (med/dental/vision w/ lower premiums, 2-3 weeks paid vacation your first year, pensions/life insurance/ltd....) all that puts those positions WAY above the private sector compensation. then you start getting into the ones that require a bachelors, masters or higher and the numbers take a down turn-it's not like the benefits packages improve, unless you're doing upper level management it's pretty much the identical benefits package your high school educated subordinate is getting. more recent wage studies show those with a professional degree or higher earn on average 18% LESS than their private sector counterparts. so why do they stay? where i retired from it was simple-most didn't come in with those higher level degrees and by the time they had them they had built up enough time with the public sector that a private sector's benefit package/pension (if offered) wasn't worth jumping ship for.

saying this-public sector jobs aren't what they once were. the benefits that enticed allot of us into going in and kept us around have been greatly reduced or entirely eliminated. when i hired in the 80's we had guaranteed access to health insurance upon retirement-NO MORE. my former employer stopped that with new hires years ago so they better plan to stay around until they qualify for medicare and can afford a supplement on their own. pensions are still there but they've been reformed (some for the good imho, some not so much) and many pensioners are facing much lower pensions than they anticipated b/c the concessions they made during the recession to retain their jobs have not been caught up with-so they earn less than they did over a decade ago and they will never earn what they anticipated their pension would be based on.

There is a saying I love that balances the need to splurge and enjoy life, without YOLOing one's way to becoming broke and dependent upon others for even daily necessities.

"You can do anything, but you can't do everything"

I think this is probably the best way to put it. I can name several things that we can convince ourselves to splurge on since we both work hard and do pretty well. However, if we had done that, we would not be where we are financially. As long as a family prioritizes their spending and make sure their needs/savings are covered first, I don't see a problem with that.

Travel is definitely something we prioritize in our lives. With that said, I do not regret not spending more money on vacation with my family. If I were to drop dead tomorrow, I would regret working too much and not having enough time doing little things like dropping off/picking up my kids from school, watching them during their dance class/gymnastics practice, or hanging out with them during school breaks. It's definitely not the amount spent that creates the memories. Memories can be created by just doing everyday things.

i haven't read that particular study but most recent ones i've see show this kind of disparity to largely only exist in entry level positions that require a high school diploma or less with the disparity decreasing or the opposite with positions that require higher level education.

makes sense-an entry level job in the public sector is going to come w/a benefits package that no private employer would dream of offering for a comparable job (med/dental/vision w/ lower premiums, 2-3 weeks paid vacation your first year, pensions/life insurance/ltd....) all that puts those positions WAY above the private sector compensation. then you start getting into the ones that require a bachelors, masters or higher and the numbers take a down turn-it's not like the benefits packages improve, unless you're doing upper level management it's pretty much the identical benefits package your high school educated subordinate is getting. more recent wage studies show those with a professional degree or higher earn on average 18% LESS than their private sector counterparts. so why do they stay? where i retired from it was simple-most didn't come in with those higher level degrees and by the time they had them they had built up enough time with the public sector that a private sector's benefit package/pension (if offered) wasn't worth jumping ship for.

saying this-public sector jobs aren't what they once were. the benefits that enticed allot of us into going in and kept us around have been greatly reduced or entirely eliminated. when i hired in the 80's we had guaranteed access to health insurance upon retirement-NO MORE. my former employer stopped that with new hires years ago so they better plan to stay around until they qualify for medicare and can afford a supplement on their own. pensions are still there but they've been reformed (some for the good imho, some not so much) and many pensioners are facing much lower pensions than they anticipated b/c the concessions they made during the recession to retain their jobs have not been caught up with-so they earn less than they did over a decade ago and they will never earn what they anticipated their pension would be based on.
Very well explained. Our pension is a constant battle. And my husband actually has better insurance with his job at a public university in building services with a high school diploma. My pension is also the reason I stayed in education when I felt burn out. It's hard to walk away from that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter