"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

We leave on the 8th for our drive. We'll leave on the 7th if snow is predicted. We plan to stay in Valdosta on the 8th and pull into Pop around noon on the 9th. I long for the days when we would drive through the night, but we just can't do it anymore.

38 days till the next trip. Stop over in Bradenton Fl. for a visit with the in-laws and off to the Poly. for our 33rd anniversary. Hopefully the weather cooperates this trip. Out running a hurricane this past September was enough for me for a while.
Looking forward to our usual restaurant stops, Narcoossee, Cali Grill.
Only made a few fast pass, our anniversary trips we don't plan much.
We a looking forward to hanging out with Walter at the Tambu again!

Last edited:

38 days until we leave and I'm already obsessing over long-range weather forecasts! :rotfl:

I've finalized my itinerary and we're going straight through, Detroit to Daytona, on the way down unless weather forces us to stop. I'll have two other drivers but they're pretty new to it, so they'll be taking the Ohio and Georgia stretches, where the roads are flatter and straighter, and I'll take the mountains. Coming back, I dropped the Weeki Wachee side trip because we flew down to spend a few days there earlier this month, so we'll just have the stop in Rock City/Chattanooga and an extra day if we want to break the drive up even more.

On way home now. Fwiw there's a great counter service Mexican grill off 75 in Georgia exit 255 called Willys. Large portions, fresh food, made to order burritos, friendly service and cheap!
Is there a spot on this thread to post things like that? We come from the Midwest and it seems most are east coast travelers.
And if anyone is coming down 95 be careful and safe!

Thanks for the tip. We love Mexican so we may have to try to hit that one.

Has anyone tried the Atlanta Food Truck Park? It looks like it would be pretty easy on/off but it is only open on the weekends so we've never lined up a trip quite right to stop. Our next one might, though.

What's parking like at Disney Springs now? Last time we were there the orange garage was just opening and there was tons of construction.

It was super easy when we were there a couple of weeks ago. We came in off of I-4 from the airport and had no problem getting to the Orange garage. I almost didn't stop because it was so crazy the last time I had a car down there, but I'm glad we did. It was a nice little Disney fix on a non-Disney trip.

Leaving March 23 for our drive down from Chicago. After 2 years of flying, going back to driving is going to be tough (drove for about 10 years). I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for construction info.

been back home for a couple days now. Some minor issues, but all in all a great trip.

We hit the snow in KY on on the way down on 1/12 - not fun. Took almost 4 hours to get from Paducah to Ashland City, TN (normally under 2 hours).
We left TN by 10 on Saturday morning and decided to go all the way through to WDW instead of stopping in Valdosta - got a room at Pop and we were there by 10pm.
Coming home on 1/20-1/21 was foggy. Left WDW at about 11 on Saturday, stopped in Nashville by 10pm, headed out after breakfast and hit the fog all the way through IL. Still got home by about 5.

Future trips from now on will include a planned stop over in each direction. We're getting too old for the marathon drives and arriving exhausted.

It was super easy when we were there a couple of weeks ago. We came in off of I-4 from the airport and had no problem getting to the Orange garage. I almost didn't stop because it was so crazy the last time I had a car down there, but I'm glad we did. It was a nice little Disney fix on a non-Disney trip.

Awesome, thanks. Two years ago it was a cluster of traffic, no turning here or there - DH was definitely frustrated, and then it poured. I am hoping to redeem that trip this year ;)

Awesome, thanks. Two years ago it was a cluster of traffic, no turning here or there - DH was definitely frustrated, and then it poured. I am hoping to redeem that trip this year ;)
Disney Springs is super nice now. Personally, except for a few shops at the Marketplace, there is little of interest to us there. My family doesn't even want to wander through the rest of it anymore. We do World of Disney, Art of Disney, and a few other things on that end and that's about it. We also hit Uniqlo this time where my wife got a couple of shirts.

The rest of it is just high end stores that we can find at our local mall.

We did try to go to the Edison for a drink but they were rather snooty. We took a seat at a little bar table only to have several servers ignore us until one finally came over and said we couldn't sit there unless we had been seated by the hostess. Those tables were reserved. We could only sit at the bar itself, which was packed at that time, so we left.

Disney Springs is super nice now. Personally, except for a few shops at the Marketplace, there is little of interest to us there. My family doesn't even want to wander through the rest of it anymore. We do World of Disney, Art of Disney, and a few other things on that end and that's about it. We also hit Uniqlo this time where my wife got a couple of shirts.

The rest of it is just high end stores that we can find at our local mall.

We did try to go to the Edison for a drink but they were rather snooty. We took a seat at a little bar table only to have several servers ignore us until one finally came over and said we couldn't sit there unless we had been seated by the hostess. Those tables were reserved. We could only sit at the bar itself, which was packed at that time, so we left.

Yeah, we're not shoppers so there's not a ton there for us either, but we hit Jock Lindsay's for a late lunch and stopped in at Goofy's for dessert, just to get a little Disney flavor on our way to the Gulf, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much easier the driving was than last time (June 2015).

I've heard good things about the Edison's food but yours isn't the first complaint I've read about the service. I'm torn on whether I'm going to pop over there in March to try it. I'm not sure it is worth braving the new-attraction crowds, especially if the service is less than welcoming.

I've heard good things about the Edison's food but yours isn't the first complaint I've read about the service. I'm torn on whether I'm going to pop over there in March to try it. I'm not sure it is worth braving the new-attraction crowds, especially if the service is less than welcoming.
We didn't go to eat. We just wanted to check it out and have a drink. The hostess was nice and said we could just go to the bar (as opposed to waiting for a table). She pointed out the 3 bars they have and we headed downstairs to the "main" bar. There weren't 3 seats at the bar so we sat at a little high top cocktail table a couple of feet from the bar. Apparently, those tables are for people who are dining. They aren't bar tables as we assumed. They were almost all empty so there was really nothing to indicate that to us. It was an honest mistake. And there were lots of open tables throughout the restaurant so I'm not sure why we couldn't have stayed there even if we were only having drinks. I suppose if too many people did that it would be a problem, so I guess I understand that, but at that moment, the place wasn't that busy. We just didn't feel comfortable so we left.

We usually head over there early in the morning, around 7am. Parking garage is empty.DW has to get her walking miles in.lol We stop at Earl of Sandwich for breakfast and hit all the old down town Disney stores. We walk through the "new" area. She stops at a few places but it does, looks like the local mall. We stop at the new burger joint that opened. The coordinator there was dd trainer when she worked in the magic kingdom. Have to stop to say hi to Darius.lol
Usually walk from one end to the other a few times. Just enjoying the morning. Before we leave, we always have to hit the poutine stand. Lol Maybe dw is on a health kick but that doesn't mean I am. Lol
This September we are planning on trying paddle fish. It's the first restaurant in the Disney springs area we ever at.
Just trying something a little different.
Looking forward to another road trip. I'm backwards. In my younger days, I had to stop. Now in my old age, I drive straight through. Lol 15 hours, most of it at night. Past September I woke up 2am to go to work, worked to 10:30am, picked up dw at work at 11am and headed south. Pulled into Boardwalk around 3am. Couldn't fall asleep till 7am.
I just can't sleep when I know I have a drive to do. Lol

Heading south from Ohio Friday and Saturday morning with the fam. Taking I-75 all the way to the Florida Turnpike. Will be stopping overnight in Georgia Friday night, and looking for Kroger Fuel stations along the way to finish using my fuel points for January! Wish me luck dealing with traffic and construction and overzealous Georgia highway patrol! Lol

When I drove down and back up from Atlanta yesterday, patrols with radar were heavy at Marietta, dalton and Ringgold on 75

Saw at least 9 vehicles pulled over and sure tickets were issued

When I drove down and back up from Atlanta yesterday, patrols with radar were heavy at Marietta, dalton and Ringgold on 75

Saw at least 9 vehicles pulled over and sure tickets were issued
I have only driven a few time on I75. I catch it near Tampa and take it to Bradenton, so I'm not on it real long but man, last time I was heading south I was going 80 mph and I was getting passed like I was standing still.lol
Coming north around 4am on a Wednesday, same way just less cars. Is it that way up through Georgia or is it just that corridor that moves like that?

I have only driven a few time on I75. I catch it near Tampa and take it to Bradenton, so I'm not on it real long but man, last time I was heading south I was going 80 mph and I was getting passed like I was standing still.lol
Coming north around 4am on a Wednesday, same way just less cars. Is it that way up through Georgia or is it just that corridor that moves like that?

I think all the flat/straight parts are like that. Michigan, Ohio, Georgia, Florida. Speed enforcement varies from place to place, though, so the trick is to know where you can get away with it and where you can't.

I think all the flat/straight parts are like that. Michigan, Ohio, Georgia, Florida. Speed enforcement varies from place to place, though, so the trick is to know where you can get away with it and where you can't.
For those coming in from the West on I10 my DH got two tickets in Florida between Pensacola and Tallahassee a few years ago. Flat and open - but not a good place to speed. He was not driving that fast, but we really lucked out on one.

I could not find the current insurance card (had the recently expired one) and the young policewoman just let that go. I found out a few days later that due to a miscommunication on my auto billpay my insurance had been cancelled!!!!! That would have been a huge ticket. I now go online every month to make sure that none of my policies are delinquent. I have about 6 different policies for various properties, etc.

I75 in Michigan (north of Flint) is fast. Same with most of Georgia and northern Florida. Our route puts us on 75 at Chattanooga. I can usually set the cruise at 84-86 and be about 50/50 passing/getting passed.

I75 in Michigan (north of Flint) is fast. Same with most of Georgia and northern Florida. Our route puts us on 75 at Chattanooga. I can usually set the cruise at 84-86 and be about 50/50 passing/getting passed.
Speed limit for the most part 70?

Speed limit for the most part 70?

Hmmm, have any other states upped their speed limits to 75mph yet? I75 north of Flint is posted at 75mph as of this summer, but I didn't even think about whether other states might have done the same since we last did the drive south on 75.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter