Foot pain - which dr?

luvmyfam444

DIS Veteran
I've had pain on the top of my foot off and on for a couple of years...,just attributed to the kind of shoe I was wearing - if I put on laced tennis shoes the pain went away until I wore Birks or flip flops or cheap slip on flats.
I finally went to urgent care because something panful was on the side of my foot - wasn't sure what it was - that dr felt like it is a cyst...also said Xray seemed to look like I had a fracture at one point . He put me in a boot. I have no pain wearing the boot but barefoot I do. He told me to go to a podiatrist.

My question is who should I see? my mom says an ortho . Friends say podiatrist.
if you've used one of the other why did you choose the one you did?

I saw a podiatrist for persistent pain on the top of my foot. He did X-rays and thought it was tendinitis. Gave me a short-term prescription for meloxicam for swelling/pain, told me to try wearing a lace-up ankle brace, which actually worked to get rid of it. An elastic ankle brace also seems to work if it occasionally flares up.

I would say podiatrist. They specifically focus on foot/ankle issues. An ortho does work on feet, but they normally deal with a range of muskoskelatal stuff like hips, shoulders, back, etc.

When I had a foot injury a few years ago (ended up being a small fracture), I went to a podiatrist. I figure if their focus is all foot/ankle they may have the deeper knowledge, compared to an ortho who also has to know/deal with a lot of other skeletal parts.

I vote Podiatrist. They would be the EXPERT on feet. If they feel that the scope is better treated by an Orthopedic then they can refer you to one who specializes in the foot or your condition. My gut is their specialty better equips them to get a good diagnosis.

My kids saw plenty of Orthos and Sports doctors over many years. Many Orthos specialize in specific areas of the skeleton and we went to the ones who specialized in the area of the body where the issue was, and the issues (skeletal vs muscular). When DH needed knee work he went to a knee ortho, when he needed foot work (was already diagnosed as broken) he went to a foot ortho. Same practice, different specialties.

DS is a running coach. He was having issue with his foot. He went to Podiatrist who was able to diagnose and treat the issue.

I would say podiatrist. They specifically focus on foot/ankle issues. An ortho does work on feet, but they normally deal with a range of muskoskelatal stuff like hips, shoulders, back, etc.

When I had a foot injury a few years ago (ended up being a small fracture), I went to a podiatrist. I figure if their focus is all foot/ankle they may have the deeper knowledge, compared to an ortho who also has to know/deal with a lot of other skeletal parts.
thanks - that's was my exact thoughts - ortho knows 206 bones the podiatrist only knows 20 something

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest