Food, desserts and Lactaid

dtkids

Mouseketeer
I'm a tad lactose intolerant. Ice cream, heavy cream...that's what gets me. Especially if I don't have enough "regular" food in my stomach before I indulge.

I gotta remember to pack (and actually use) the Lactaid.

Any other lactose intolerants have any helpful hints for navigating dessert parties and abundance of food at WDW?

I am not so bad that I can't have anything, but I definitely don't want to be miserable.

Looking at dessert party, buffet desserts...is there any good way to do these things without making myself sick?

I didn't find Lactaid milk on property, only offsite in grocery stores, but they have Silk soymilk available. The vanilla one's not bad as a drink if you're so inclined, but probably not so nice in coffee!

And I didn't use the lactose pills either, I added my allergy to the ADRs so at every meal I got an allergy menu and the chef come out. The milk free options are good and leaves you with a bit of leeway to enjoy the odd ice cream. I can at least tolerate the odd Mickey bar or two, I don't know how bad your intolerance is. All QS places have them too, ask a CM. I didn't mind having to go milk free as much because it meant my stomach was a lot happier by the end of the holiday as before.

In terms of desserts at meals I ended up with Tofutti and Enjoy Life(?) cookies for most of them. Olivia's gave me a lovely chocolate cake and Crystal Palace brought me out a plate of goodies including a delicious chocolate brownie. The dessert party, when I did the Wishes one they brought me out a platter of various dairy free stuff and fruit.

My husband can’t have dairy as well as any slice that is hot like black pepper a few and we can eat at any TS including buffets and dinner shows. Disney is so great handling it!

My son and I can't even eat a grilled cheese or a slice of pizza without getting a stomach ache so we take those Lactaid pills for any small amount of milk and avoid the large dairy foods (ice cream, yogurt, etc) altogether. I'm looking forward to maybe trying some of the milk-free options that people here have talked about.

We plan to bring cartons of UHT lactose-free milk with us so we can have cereal in the mornings. Not sure if you are familiar with that type of milk, but it is pasteurized at an ultra-high temperature which makes it shelf-stable, so it doesn't need to be refrigerated. Great for traveling...you just have to find a lactose free version. I have my parents buy some where they live and save it for me. You might be able to find it online. It does taste a little different but it's still just milk. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter