Fly on Friday the 13th?? Yep, we`ll turn superstition into 23 nights of fun!! A Sept/Oct 2024 TR

schumigirl

It's a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts

1720879344904.gif

One and all to another of our Trip Report`s, this one starts in September and runs into October and as always we`ll be staying completely at Universal Orlando Resort, our favourite place on earth!!

i-79nKQPv-S.gif

And if you`re new to Universal orlando.....❤️

i-3hQWn7p-S.gif

I wasn`t sure this might be a little too early to start this one as it`s a little way off yet, however, that date of travel is creeping closer everyday and I`m not really sure where this year has gone as it has passed like a flash!

cv171-S.jpg

But, having a little encouragement from certain ladies :flower3: I thought, oh why not!

Who are we first and foremost. We are Carole`n`Tom, we are from the UK and completely love Florida, we love everything about it especially the weather which believe me I know they are being roasted right now in Florida, but we have winter like weather right now and it is not nice, I`d swap in a heartbeat!

I do like to put a face to a name, so this was us in December last year with the squirrel dude.

i-ScBJ6WC-L.jpg

We have been married, very happily for 32 years come Sept 5th this year and we have our son Kyle who turned 30 this year, he loves Orlando too and has visited with us several times as an adult, but now he has other plans in life. He is the most amazing son and we are so very proud of him and how he has turned out in life.

But, just the two of us again for this one which is also lovely, it`s always nice to just be a couple once again on our trips.

This will be I think, our 27th trip to Orlando with our first visit being way back in 2007, that does seem a lifetime ago now, but we were hooked immediately on all things Florida.

Usually this time of year we are getting excited for HHN but this year we are passing on the whole event. I`m sure it`ll still be fun, but I think we have become jaded on the event and probably a bit bored with it all now, especially as it just keeps getting busier and busier and the subtle cost effective procedures in place now are a little obvious to us as long time visitors. It`s a very different event from what it was way back in 2007, some good things of course, but it doesn`t seem we enjoy it as much as we used to. So this will be our first September without going to HHN. I don`t think we`ll be stuck for things to do elsewhere!!!

This may be a more relaxing type of trip for us, we`ve had a very busy year with Kyle moving homes and we of course got stuck in and for most of May we helped clean, decorate and help with the move in, he wanted to do most of it himself, which meant we`d of course help too ::yes:: I don`t think I`ve worked so hard in years, but we loved every second of it and that was the reason we missed our usual May trip this year, to be there for Kyle and it was worth it, everyone loves this new place.

So, with December being our last trip there it does feel a long time since we were there!!

Once we got Christmas and New Year over we immediately contacted Virgin Atlantic to get these September flights booked and this one was a little different due to our last May visit.

To go back slightly to a few days into our May 2023 trip, we got an email asking if we would return home in economy instead of our pre-booked premium seats as the flight was overbooked and in return if we did agree they would give us 3 free return Premium flights travelling anywhere to be used within the next three years, an offer we did take them up on of course. I admit flying home in economy wasn`t that bad, it wasn`t great, but, we knew there was a nice benefit coming in the future.

Contacting them was easy and we got flights booked, not originally on the day we wanted to fly as they were already sold out, so we chose to fly on what is for some a complete no-no... 🐈‍⬛

i-fbSTWmD-S.gif

I do laugh as I am not superstitious at all, well, maybe a little, but 13 has always been a lucky number for me in many ways, not least of all I was born on the 13th, I met Tom on the 13th and he lived at number 13 and a hundred other lucky 13th tales, so I didn`t even give it a thought except to recognise it was my birthday and I didn`t think we`ve ever flown on that before except once apparently to somewhere in Europe many moons ago, I had forgotten about that flight.

Virgin Atlantic are without doubt our favourite airline, we have always had positive experiences with them, even during the pandemic, for us they were excellent in how they were with us, it was very easy to defer each set of flights as five trips over that time were cancelled, they were brilliant, certainly for us. So, we never really consider another carrier and the bonus is they fly direct to Orlando from Manchester or Heathrow, either airport works for us, but we do like going up to Manchester to fly with them.

cv167-S.jpg

They do have very nice planes and all with their own individual names, but I honestly miss flying on the huge Jumbo Jets, the 747 was in a league of their own and were so impressive to see and of course they have four engines, four is always better than two when it comes to flying for almost 10 hours, but it seems to work ok, so maybe I need to let the 747`s go, they are never coming back.

On speaking to the agent when booking the flights, he told us the seats we usually booked were gone which is fine as all the premium seats are very comfortable, but he told us although we wouldn`t be paying for the flights, Virgin now charged for what they call Preferred seats and we were in two of them. I said I hadn`t heard of that and it seems these preferred seats are towards the front of the Premium cabin which wouldn`t be our first choice, but this was new as you never used to pay for seat allocation in Premium. However the lovely agent said he would give them to us complimentary which was very nice of him, I think it was around $65 each on top of what you would pay for the flight, of course it all used to be free to choose any seat there. I believe the seats coming home are to the rear of the cabin so wouldn`t have this charge either. But, we were just happy to be booked, sitting together and glad we could use two of the three free return flights issued to us.

After I gave him the codes for the flights, I asked him about the third one and could we transfer Kyle`s name for one of us to use on another trip, he said he had used Kyle`s code for this trip, so we still had Tom`s to use in the future. Nice!!

Premium seats are very nice indeed, they have a nice recline, plenty of legroom and plenty of room for one`s ample derrier`s in the seats themselves which is always nice if one has extra padding in that region.....guilty 😉 We also get a larger luggage allowance of two suitcases each up to 23kg which is around 50lbs each, not too bad and you of course get one piece of hand luggage up to 10kg each. You have your own decent sized tv screen on which you can choose from hundreds of movies, tv shows and music channels, so the time passes easily on even the longest of flights.

They also of course have the skymap in which you can follow your route from take off to landing which some folks don`t like but we love it!!! It gives you height, speed and things like local time, time flying and distance and time to destination as well as outside temperature which scares the living daylights out of me!!! That is cold.

cv165-X2.jpg

The food is nicer, no doubt and you do get proper cutlery, glasses and a real mug with tea or coffee, the food still comes in the tray but it just has a slightly nicer feel about it. A few years ago Virgin started sending out emails where you can pre-order the meal you would like which is also nice as some folks could be left with the veggie dish not many folks wanted!!! You also get unlimited drinks service, they are generous with the wines and other options and afterwards you can go up and ask for anything you like, anyone who appears to be inebriated will be refused anymore which is good to know.

I don`t think we`ve ever gone up to ask for more as they do give you plenty during their service. They also have a Wander Wall where you can help yourself to various sweet and savoury snacks to the front of the cabin all laid out in little trays for most of the flight, ideal for passing some time if you get bored or get a little peckish.

Our outbound flight on Friday the 13th is around 9hrs 30 minutes, so we`ll take off hopefully at 11am UK time and arrive around 15.25 Orlando time. Even when we take off a little late, they usually make up time, although that is more common on the way home. That flight time is usually around 8 hours but they can make it in a lot less time than that if we have a good tail wind behind us.

So,with the flights booked, we can then go to get everything else organised......the fun begins!!!!

I`m looking forward to this trip as is Tom, it`ll be different with no HHN but hopefully very relaxing and hope to have some company along the way, it`s always so much nicer to have folks to chat to and we have lovely posters that always makes the TR as much fun as it is!!!

Here`s to Friday the 13th!!!!

cv160-X2.jpg

Woohoo, have been looking forward to the next TR! Always such an engaging read.

We've flown on the 13th a couple of times, as I tend to favor odd numbers in general. In my mind any day is a good one to start a vacation!

Can't say I've ever experienced such top notch amenities in any flight. Wow.

Such a complicated series of events to book, glad to hear you it's got it settled and have another flight credit left in your pocket.

Hi Carole:
I'm #1, LOL, and as always, enjoy your fun trip reports. Just sorry that we will miss you this time.

:welcome: Ruth and yes, you made it first!!!

Thank you, and yes, I`m sorry we`re not there at the same time again, we had so much fun meeting you and your lovely daughter. I`m sure we`ll be there at the same time on another trip one day.

Looking forward to having you along for this one too, I`m so glad you enjoy them :goodvibes

We haven’t been to Universal in about 10 years. I love your trip reports and you have made me want to go back! Can’t wait to follow along!

:welcome: along LoveDaisy, glad to have you along!!!!

Wow, there have been so many changes since you were last there, it`ll be like a new set of parks for you when you do go back!!

I`m happy to hear you`ve enjoyed the others I do hope you enjoy this Trip Report and it`ll be lovely to have you comment along the way too :wave2:

Woohoo, have been looking forward to the next TR! Always such an engaging read.

We've flown on the 13th a couple of times, as I tend to favor odd numbers in general. In my mind any day is a good one to start a vacation!

Can't say I've ever experienced such top notch amenities in any flight. Wow.

Such a complicated series of events to book, glad to hear you it's got it settled and have another flight credit left in your pocket.

:welcome: to you too Janet!!! Always glad to see you here.....

I agree, any day is a good day to start a trip, I never really gave it a thought till others expressed surprise at us flying on that date lol, they know us so I`m not sure why they`re surprised! I`d fly any day for sure.

Premium is nice, Upper even better, but I will say even economy is fairly decent with VA. We flew exit row seats last year on the way out as Premium was full, it was fine. I`d definitely recommend VA as an airline to anyone.

It`s so much easier speaking to someone than trying to do things over an email, the third flight has been complicated but thankfully a lovely woman from VA called me up as we were emailing each other, I was delighted to hear from her!!! In the end we didn`t use that flight for April/May next year (that was complicated) so we still have it for next Sept.

Hope you enjoy this one Janet, always nice to see your comments along the way too :wave2:

Woohoo! I am ready to travel along on your TR; thank You for having us! :dogdance:
Flying on the 13th -- I'd probably think it once and then not give it another thought.
I agree with the consensus that flying any day is good!

I love that photo of you guys with Earl! We didn't do Christmas last year, and I missed him.

Let all the fun begin, it's TR Time in July!! :jumping1:

Woohoo! I am ready to travel along on your TR; thank You for having us! :dogdance:
Flying on the 13th -- I'd probably think it once and then not give it another thought.
I agree with the consensus that flying any day is good!

I love that photo of you guys with Earl! We didn't do Christmas last year, and I missed him.

Let all the fun begin, it's TR Time in July!! :jumping1:

You made it!!!! :welcome: Glad to see you Maria!!

Yes, it`s one of those dates that can freak some folks out, doesn`t bother me at all, I`ll fly anyday!!

Oh I was thinking you and Mr Worfie were there? Was it really the year before we met up then!!!! Holy smokes I didn`t think it was as long ago! Yes, Earl was fun to meet with.

Thanks, yes it might be a little early, but it`ll go in quickly I`m sure :wave2:

Most of you know we plan very little if anything on our trips, but once we have the flights in the bag, it`s time to think about hotels and our overnight hotel too. This is usually between two hotels who both offer an Executive lounge for us to enjoy, one is the Marriott about twenty minutes from the airport via mini bus and the other which is our personal preference, Radisson Blu.

We much prefer to travel up the day before and enjoy a nice evening in a lovely hotel than get up in the middle of the night and make the journey then, it`s less stressful and it adds a day to the trip which is always rather lovely.

We book a car service to take us and bring us back, we used to take the car and leave it there for the duration, but so many reports of cars being used or being left abandoned anywhere made us rethink our plans, however our car was always fine and we never had any issues, but it does make one worry a little. We did take the train a couple of times, but this is far more convenient, door to door and it means Tom can sleep on the way home too as well as me!

i-3GdTzxw-X2.jpg

The Radisson is attached to the airport through the Skywalk which means you don`t need to venture outside at all in the morning no matter which of the terminals you`re using. It is ideal as sometimes in the UK, our weather is not what it`s supposed to be!!!! I think that might be an understatement as we can get nicer weather, just not to be relied upon!

Once we are dropped off at the hotel, we don`t go back outside until we exit MCO, the hotel has everything we need for our short but very comfortable stay here.

i-xVnwLmL-X2.jpg

Our car service picks us up early enough generally so we arrive at lunchtime, we know our room probably won`t be ready, but we drop our suitcases off and go sit in their Little M Bar which serves both food and drinks from 11am every day and we really like it. We started a tradition many years ago that whenever we arrive, we start the trip off with a bottle of sparkly, then we feel as though our vacation has started properly.

i-Vsc2bTh-S.gif

It is usually fairly busy even at lunchtimes, but it is very nice and any food we`ve ever had has always been lovely.

i-7H7SQXD-X2.jpg

IMG_9622%20%282%29-X2.jpg

The rooms in the Radisson are much the same as they have been for several years now, but the place is immaculately clean and it does have very comfy beds and spacious too.

We don`t pay extra for an airport view with having the lounge, it used to be a request you could put in when you booked your room, but of course then they realised they could charge folks for it they did, we don`t mind either way as we can sit in the lounge and watch the airport do it`s thing while we are there.

i-39bDS83-X2.jpg

We do however always try and book the room with Executive Lounge access, it is very nice and something we have enjoyed since we began staying here many years ago, sometimes it`s not available, but if it is, we make sure we book it.

There is so much space and it overlooks the runways and airport itself, I am a little pathetic in that I could watch aircraft take off all day, it`s just nice especially the huge planes that we sometimes catch, but it`s a nice space to relax in for the evening.

i-F9DhhSr-X2.jpg

i-xWh6X8N-X2.jpg

There are soft drinks and tea, coffee and so on available all day, alcohol is not usually put out till 5pm, but last time we were there there was wine sitting out where you could just help yourself, so I`m not sure if that`s still going to be the same this visit, it does change ever so often how they serve it.

Children under 12 I think aren`t allowed in after 5pm which is nice to have an adults only space for a change.

i-9hLxx3h-X2.jpg

Usually, they start with hot and cold snacks at 5pm, and it is quite nice items they offer, if you`re looking for a proper sit down meal, it might not be for you, but as we do like snacky type food, we enjoy it but we have heard folks complaining they thought there would be more choice served up.

i-9tjJ74p-X2.jpg

These tend to be staples of what they serve, so we`re very happy with the choices available, it is more than enough for us.

i-Ph3wnp7-X2.jpg

i-D9ZkRZf-X2.jpg

I`m not sure if wine will be available during the day on this trip, to be honest we prefer a cup of tea after our bottle of sparkly at lunch, but it`s a nice option for those who would wish a glass of wine or a beer in the afternoon.

Hard liquor is kept till 5pm before the staff bring it out and even that is help yourself. We have seen folks take a very generous pour, but we`ve never seen anyone intoxicated in all the times we`ve stayed there, but the staff do watch people when they are in and out.

i-qFQSpp3-X2.jpg

i-jqdMMgJ-X2.jpg

On our last visit in November last year, the staff very proudly displayed a cocktail tree, I think there were three different types, one was an espresso martini which is not for me, but the others were very fruity and very nice.

When they had brought out the third tree and that was done, the staff kindly offered to make us up one if we wanted, not that we had drank them all lol.....the staff are incredibly nice and so helpful in there. We felt bad for them as we noticed that not many people tipped them which was a shame as they do work very hard keeping everything replenished for guests.

i-WD9Kdq3-X2.jpg

As well as the little M Bar, the hotel offers a full room service menu and it has a full service restaurant called Collage, it is nice, but it`s been several years since we ate in there. Since Covid they shrunk their menu and we just never felt the need to go back when it is so nice in the lounge upstairs.

People often ask me if we "get our money`s worth" out of booking a room with the lounge access. The answer is most definitely no, but we don`t think on it like that, we love the room and even if we just had two glasses of wine and a snack, it doesn`t matter, we like the space, convenience and the convivial atmosphere in there. We can chat to folks and pass the time, it`s just very pleasant and a lovely way to start our trip off.

It never really gets completely dark when we`re usually there in September, but we have seen some lovely sunsets from here.

i-gXqrpZD-X2.jpg

More plans to come ☺️

Yay...another trip report!!!! I am glad I'm along for the ride ::yes::

The time will count down fast now for you.

It sounds like it will be a relaxing trip for you and Tom - which is what we need sometimes.

Wow, that cocktail tree looks amazing! That is so much fun, it would be hard to say no. 🍸

I love that you use the car service, so convenient and nice for Tom to be able to rest after a long trip as well.

I'm all for adding more days to your trip, especially if you are able to relax earlier and kick it off with some bubbly! 🍾

Yay...another trip report!!!! I am glad I'm along for the ride ::yes::

The time will count down fast now for you.

It sounds like it will be a relaxing trip for you and Tom - which is what we need sometimes.

:welcome: Pumpkin, glad to see you and happy to have you along!

I`m always amazed how fast the time goes once it gets this close, I always think there`s nothing left to do but wait, but about now we start seriously thinking about restaurants and places we want to visit this time around, and yes, we do plan a very relaxing trip and maybe even more than one or two pool nights that we usually manage.

But, lovely to see you and look forward to your comments along the way :wave2:

Wow, that cocktail tree looks amazing! That is so much fun, it would be hard to say no. 🍸

I love that you use the car service, so convenient and nice for Tom to be able to rest after a long trip as well.

I'm all for adding more days to your trip, especially if you are able to relax earlier and kick it off with some bubbly! 🍾

Oh they were very nice, and very popular, not sure they still do them, but will find out soon, yup, I certainly enjoy the odd cocktail or two lol.....

It`s ideal really Maria, I always marvelled how he could stay awake driving home way back when we did that, but something always did, whereas I was 30 seconds in the car and I was out for the count......not much use there!! Now, we chat with our driver for maybe 15-20 miniutes, then we`re both dropping off and sleep most of the way home which is nice.

I`m all for extending trips for sure and we sure do enjoy that first bottle of sparkly

Woot! Another awesome schumigirl trip report :)!
Just booked our fall UO trip for 09/22-27/2024 at Cabana Bay today, so we'll be waving at you from across the street :love: We're not doing HHN either - neither one of us have the "Halloween gene", LOL! But this timimg works best for us this year for other reasons :thumbsup2.

:welcome: back DoryGirl.......and thank you!!!!!

Oh I do hope we can get to say hello this time around, we`ll be at Sapphire by then, so yes, we`ll literally be right across the street from each other ::yes::

It`s a fabulous time to visit the parks, we are looking forward to not doing HHN this year, it frees up more nights to do something else....anything really. I never, ever thought we`d get fed up or disillusioned with it, but we have reached that point.

Glad to see you along for this one too and yes, we need your people to speak to our people and get a quick hello planned at some point!!! :wave2:

Woohoo! 🎉 Thrilled to see another pre-trip report from Carole. Love all the details you include especially the pictures.
:flower1: Brenda

:welcome: back Brenda, so good to see you :)

Thank you, you`re too kind!! I was thinking of you a few days ago, I was chatting to a friend from the hotel and we mentioned Aspen, and thought of you!!

I`m so glad you`re along for this one too, always a pleasure to see you and read your posts along the way too....:wave2:

:welcome: back Brenda, so good to see you :)

Thank you, you`re too kind!! I was thinking of you a few days ago, I was chatting to a friend from the hotel and we mentioned Aspen, and thought of you!!

I`m so glad you`re along for this one too, always a pleasure to see you and read your posts along the way too....:wave2:
Thank you for the kind words Carole! 🤗 Aspen was such a superstar in the Club Level lounge. She not only said the lovelies things about you and Tom but she went above and beyond with all the guests she came in contact with.
Can’t wait to read more of your upcoming trip.
Brenda:flower:

Thank you for the kind words Carole! 🤗 Aspen was such a superstar in the Club Level lounge. She not only said the lovelies things about you and Tom but she went above and beyond with all the guests she came in contact with.
Can’t wait to read more of your upcoming trip.
Brenda:flower:

Aspen is amazing, and yes they look after everyone so well, they truly want guests to have the best time and will do all they can to make sure you do and agree, we have seen them go above and beyond many times for guests.

And on a personal level, one of the things we`ve always adored about the lounge is getting to know so many of the staff over the years and many we still keep in contact with despite them moving on whether it be within Loews or outwith the company, lovely people 🥰

More coming up soon Brenda, I`m so looking forward to writing this one up 😊

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest