Flooded room at Art of Animation this weekend

NashvilleMama

DIS Veteran
We weren't back from the parks yet on Saturday night around 10pm (eating at Beaches & Cream) when my phone rang and it just said "Disney" so I answered...our wing on the 2nd floor of Art of Animation had flooded from a room *across the hall* whose toilet pipe had burst at the wall and was gushing water full blast. We returned to find it was actually worse than we'd thought from the intial call...anything on the ground was literally sopping wet including bags, suitcases, etc.

The front desk management was really awesome in what was a horrible situation and massive kudos to how they handled what could have been a trip-ruining disaster. We had an easy room move to another building and a fully comped stay, plus all waterlogged clothes laundered overnight. I submitted a short itemized list today via phone of what was damaged (ironically by the laundering as the commercial laundry shrunk a bunch of stuff) and they're already sending me a check, no questions asked.

All this to say as my lesson learned to share: If you're staying at one of the resorts where the floor isn't carpeted and is tiled/hard, etc. the water in these situations just runs like crazy throughout the rooms. Never again will we be leaving anything on the floors. We're usually pretty good about using luggage racks or chairs but had 5 of us in a suite (on a last minute stay and needed that full-size 5th sleeper spot for a teenage boy) so a few people had their bags lying around, including my husband's laptop bag which got super wet but somehow his actual contents were spared (good job Tumi?)

A lot of airline people Never leave anything on the floor - more due to bedbug concerns, but that would have helped here too. Glad they comped you, that's a nice vacation cost adjustment :)

Oh man, I’m so sorry. How did you handle your suitcases being wet? Did they provide new luggage? We actually had an incident earlier this month at YC but not nearly as bad. There was a torrential rain one evening & it hit straight onto our balcony. The next evening, I noticed water on the floor about 8-10, inches from the door. As I walked over to check it out, more water came up from around the flooring planks as I stepped on it. Apparently water from the balcony was going into the room but under the flooring. Thankfully it wasn’t much yet & was not near our suitcase. I reported it immediately, we also had to move & were given a half night’s credit to our bill. Good point about the water spreading on the hard surface flooring.

Oh man, I’m so sorry. How did you handle your suitcases being wet? Did they provide new luggage? We actually had an incident earlier this month at YC but not nearly as bad. There was a torrential rain one evening & it hit straight onto our balcony. The next evening, I noticed water on the floor about 8-10, inches from the door. As I walked over to check it out, more water came up from around the flooring planks as I stepped on it. Apparently water from the balcony was going into the room but under the flooring. Thankfully it wasn’t much yet & was not near our suitcase. I reported it immediately, we also had to move & were given a half night’s credit to our bill. Good point about the water spreading on the hard surface flooring.
The suitcases were still damp and we're airing them out at home now - it was "clean" water but still kinda ew at the whole thing. We flew home the next afternoon so just had everything inside them wrapped in the Disney laundry plastic bags to transport. Memories for sure!

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest