Flights canceled / getting there a day early but no park tickets - what to do?

koquinn

DIS Veteran
Our SW flights got canceled for Saturday afternoon, so now we're getting there super late Friday night (on 3 separate flights for the 6 of us, and 2 different arrival airports - not cool...). We don't have park tickets for Saturday. Staying at GCA, plus now I had to book a room for Friday night at Residence Inn Anaheim. We don't have a car, so we'll be SuperShuttling or Ubering around. Any recommendations on stuff to do around those 2 hotels? We'll be exhausted as we're coming from Milwaukee (2hrs later), but I'd still like not to waste the day entirely. Seems like it'll be too cold even for our Midwestern selves to swim. Any cheesy tourist traps around there we should hit? Stuff to do at the hotel(s)?

Walking around the Disney hotels are always fun and exciting. There's the Anaheim Gardenwalk is also nearby and has shops/restaurants/entertainment. I'd honestly see how much it would be to add a day to your tickets. It's probably not that much more money and you'd get an extra park day out of it.

Assuming you are staying Saturday night, you can check in early Saturday morning (like, 6am early if you want). You can give your bags to the bell desk to hold for the day. You will get a text when your room is ready (probably closer to regular check-in time of 4pm, but could be earlier) and they will deliver your bags to your room.

During the day, you'll have access to the pool and other facilities at the hotel if you do decide to swim. You can hang out in DTD. There are lots of shops to browse and restaurants for meals. It's a perfect time to shop in the World of Disney store. There's also bowling at Splitsville (it's not like a regular bowling alley, you'll get a table and a lane all to yourself). There's The VOID virtual reality experience, if that's your thing. And you can spend a lot of time just wandering the grounds of GCH and DLH. Visit Trader Sam's & Tangaroa Terrace.

If you're feeling crazy, you could even book a character breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe or Goofy's Kitchen Saturday morning (or add a day to your park ticket as previous poster said). Plenty of things to fill your Saturday until your room is ready in the afternoon and then you can resume whatever your original plans were.

I'd add the Saturday to your tickets. For us going from 2 day PH to 3 day PH was really cheap. Like $20 each I think

We actually already have 5d park hoppers, so adding another day isn't an option unless we want to pay full price for a 1d ticket, so that's out! Plus we have 5 days in the parks already planned so we really don't need a 6th. :) I like all the other suggestions though, thanks!! :)

I think there’s a chance it could be nice enough to swim.... if it’s not windy or totally overcast, it looks like it’s supppsed to be right about 70 for the high.

I think its supposed to rain on Saturday.

Partake in the resort activities.
Rest in front of fireplace at GCH.
DTD doesn't have a lot to do.

Our SW flights got canceled for Saturday afternoon, so now we're getting there super late Friday night (on 3 separate flights for the 6 of us, and 2 different arrival airports - not cool...). We don't have park tickets for Saturday. Staying at GCA, plus now I had to book a room for Friday night at Residence Inn Anaheim. We don't have a car, so we'll be SuperShuttling or Ubering around. Any recommendations on stuff to do around those 2 hotels? We'll be exhausted as we're coming from Milwaukee (2hrs later), but I'd still like not to waste the day entirely. Seems like it'll be too cold even for our Midwestern selves to swim. Any cheesy tourist traps around there we should hit? Stuff to do at the hotel(s)?
You can do boring but practical stuff like picking up supplies at Target. How far are you willing to Uber? Buena Park has Portos Bakery, Knotts, Pirates Dinner Adventure, and Medieval Times. They used to have the wax museum but that is long gone.

Look over the ideas listed here: DAY SIX Podcasts of Things to Do Around Disneyland
Also: if you are into shopping, South Coast Plaza (high end mall, one of the nicest in Southern California) has a free shuttle that stops at several DLR area hotels. I think the DLH is one of the stops. The Block at Orange has outlet stores, restaurants, movie theaters -- about 10 minutes from DLR, an easy Uber/Lyft ride.
How about The Void in DTD? Bowling at Splitsville? In the evening, you'll be able to watch fireworks (weather permitting) from the esplanade or from DTD.

Our flights from Portland were also cancelled and had a hard time finding another flight. Just curious were you were flying from?

Garden walk is nice, house of blues

If you're feeling crazy, you could even book a character breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe or Goofy's Kitchen Saturday morning (or add a day to your park ticket as previous poster said). Plenty[/QUOTE]

Just saw this so too late, but for me, Knotts is a great choice for a 1 day (or even partial day) filler.

When I was a kid, we drove down and after checking into the hotel, we’d go to Knotts and spend a few hours there. We’d then finish up at their fried chicken restaurant.

I had an extra day prior to our trip in 2017 so we went to Knotts for the first time since I was a kid and it worked out great as a fun warm up experience to DL.

Tickets to Knotts are fairly inexpensive and it’s a quick drive or Lyft ride from the DLR area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter