Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

. The list was 10 things I wasn't allowed to eat until I lost 50 lbs. After that I was allowed to eat what I wanted on Sunday only. He called it reward day
Congratulations Jimmy! A great success story. May I ask what the 10 items were/are?

Congratulations Jimmy! A great success story. May I ask what the 10 items were/are?
Thank you and yes you may. Bread, sweet tea, potato chips, cookies, snack cakes, processed cheese, soda (including diet), 1000 island dressing, pop tarts and any kind of candy. The list was based off what I wrote on the meal form of things I would eat. Not on what everyone eats. She also said no fast food period. That would eliminate the occasional blizzard or milkshakes I would consume at least twice a week. So if I eat lunch at home and have a sandwich it will have real cheese, not kraft singles and it will be a roll up on a tortilla instead of bread. My salad will have ranch. No more little Debbie’s lol. If I have to snack at night, it’s a single serving of smart food popcorn or boom chicka pop. It’s just a lifestyle change and I actually eat more. Now when we were at Disney all bets were off. I think I had at least 10 dole whips :) I do count colories 1800-2000 a Day. It’s really not hard once you fall into a routine. Had to edit... now that I am closer to my goal weight I did introduce bread into my diet. Very seldom. Maybe “a” sandwich or burger here or there and just one instead of 3 lol.

Last edited:
I've been doing a similar thing to Jimmy Mouse--counting calories, watching what I eat...I was 305 and now I'm at 286, in about 6 weeks. I recommend a food scale if anyone is doing the same--super helpful! Hopefully by the time we go to Disney next (Sept 2018 woot!) I'll be down far enough that I won't have to worry about fitting on FoP! :)

I've been doing a similar thing to Jimmy Mouse--counting calories, watching what I eat...I was 305 and now I'm at 286, in about 6 weeks. I recommend a food scale if anyone is doing the same--super helpful! Hopefully by the time we go to Disney next (Sept 2018 woot!) I'll be down far enough that I won't have to worry about fitting on FoP! :)

Get the My Fitness Pal app. You can scan the bar code of anything you eat or just use the search feature. Even all the food at Disney is on there, but I wouldn’t dare use it on vacation.

Attachments

• image1.png
    image1.png
    193 KB · Views: 23

Get the My Fitness Pal app. You can scan the bar code of anything you eat or just use the search feature. Even all the food at Disney is on there, but I wouldn’t dare use it on vacation.

Yep! I use it and love it. Using the app in conjunction with a food scale has been great--I had no idea how far off my estimates were of the portion sizes.

i'm now tempted to look up the food at Disney, but that sounds more depressing than anything else.... :)

Yep! I use it and love it. Using the app in conjunction with a food scale has been great--I had no idea how far off my estimates were of the portion sizes.

i'm now tempted to look up the food at Disney, but that sounds more depressing than anything else.... :)
I just posted a screen shot above lol. One Mickey bar = 350 calories.

Thank you and yes you may. Bread, sweet tea, potato chips, cookies, snack cakes, processed cheese, soda (including diet), 1000 island dressing, pop tarts and any kind of candy. The list was based off what I wrote on the meal form of things I would eat. Not on what everyone eats. She also said no fast food period. That would eliminate the occasional blizzard or milkshakes I would consume at least twice a week. So if I eat lunch at home and have a sandwich it will have real cheese, not kraft singles and it will be a roll up on a tortilla instead of bread. My salad will have ranch. No more little Debbie’s lol. If I have to snack at night, it’s a single serving of smart food popcorn or boom chicka pop. It’s just a lifestyle change and I actually eat more. Now when we were at Disney all bets were off. I think I had at least 10 dole whips :) I do count colories 1800-2000 a Day. It’s really not hard once you fall into a routine. Had to edit... now that I am closer to my goal weight I did introduce bread into my diet. Very seldom. Maybe “a” sandwich or burger here or there and just one instead of 3 lol.
Thanks much, Jimmy. Sounds like a plan. And sounds like it is working for you.

I have been overweight most of my life. I'm 6'1" and my Heaviest was 269, wore XXL shirts with a 42" waist. I have never encountered anyone being rude or commenting on my weight. In January 2016 I had chest pains and thought I was having a heart attack. After spending 2 days in the hospital I was released with a clean bill of health. Ended up being a pulled muscle but being 50 and over weight I guess I panicked and worried myself to the hospital. The doctor told me I had to lose weight but told me not to go on a diet. He simply gave me a list based on what I told them I eat. The list was 10 things I wasn't allowed to eat until I lost 50 lbs. After that I was allowed to eat what I wanted on Sunday only. He called it reward day. I have maintained 205 for almost 2 years with a 36" waist and wear a large shirt now. The best part is I got to the point where I am able to jump on the trampoline and swing on the swing set with my daughters. Our 2 last Disney trips have been the best because I didn't have to worry about fitting on rides. I did gain 10 lbs last month on our 12 day vacation. I ate a lot! but just by going back to my good habits, I have already lost 6 lbs of that gained weight. We just got back 4 weeks ago and rode FOP no problem. I did see 2 people having a hard time getting the restraints to lock. Now I am by no means downing any person that is overweight. It has been my life for most of my life. I have always avoided going swimming but this year I actually took off my shirt and got in the pool at the Contemporary with my 2 girls. It was the most memorable part of our vacation. Disney builds rides for the majority of people, not all people. We all make choices and anyone can lose weight if they want to. Blaming Disney may not be the answer.

I'm glad that you feel good and that you enjoyed your vacation. But I must disagree with your conclusion that because you have had some short-term success in losing weight, everyone else who has a different experience must just not be trying hard enough (and that it's their own fault that Disney decided to build restraints that exclude a significant portion of their customers). Besides being judgmental, your conclusion is factually incorrect: studies have shown that not only don't diets work for long-term weight loss in the majority of people, but dieting may actually harm the human body (http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/Dieting-Does-Not-Work-UCLA-Researchers-7832, for one example).

That's not to say your own personal experience is invalid, or that you (or anyone else) shouldn't diet if it makes you happy. But maybe think a little harder before deciding that everyone who isn't you is just choosing to be fat?

Disney builds rides for the majority of people, not all people. We all make choices and anyone can lose weight if they want to.

Well hell, man, I didn't realize it was so easy. I guess I've just been stupid the last 42 years and didn't follow your brilliant doctor's miracle weight-loss plan. Why isn't she a billionaire with all this wonderful wisdom and half the country overweight? If it's so easy -- if anyone can use weight if they want to -- hell, we must all be choosing to be overweight! We're all just big ol' pigs who can't follow the insightful brilliance of Jimmy's doctor! Thanks for setting us straight!

I'm glad you were able to lose the relatively small amount of weight you waned to lose, and you were able to do so without a lot of difficulty. I assure you that's not the case for everyone, and if you think that being overweight is just about choices, you're flat out wrong. After four decades of dealing with weight loss -- of losing 100+ pounds twice, 75 three others, 50 two beyond that and 30 more times than I can count and then gaining it back, of trying very diet system and plan you've ever heard of short of surgery -- it ain't nearly as easy for most people as it's been for you. I won't convince you of that, because those who are not fat carry their own preconceptions of those who are fat, but I will let you know that it's not a matter of choice, or at least not a matter of the kind of easy choice you've described. For some of us, losing weight requires Draconian measures well beyond your doctor's simplistic and, for most people, inaccurate suggestions. While many may not be willing or able to do what their body requires to lose weight, for most of us it's not a matter of will power and it's not a matter of bad choices. it's a matter of body chemistry. If you're going to suggest that being overweight is just a matter of better food choices or being tough enough to give up candy and thousand island dressing -- which you clearly did -- it's not going to go unchallenged. At least not by me.

I have been overweight most of my life. I'm 6'1" and my Heaviest was 269, wore XXL shirts with a 42" waist. I have never encountered anyone being rude or commenting on my weight. In January 2016 I had chest pains and thought I was having a heart attack. After spending 2 days in the hospital I was released with a clean bill of health. Ended up being a pulled muscle but being 50 and over weight I guess I panicked and worried myself to the hospital. The doctor told me I had to lose weight but told me not to go on a diet. He simply gave me a list based on what I told them I eat. The list was 10 things I wasn't allowed to eat until I lost 50 lbs. After that I was allowed to eat what I wanted on Sunday only. He called it reward day. I have maintained 205 for almost 2 years with a 36" waist and wear a large shirt now. The best part is I got to the point where I am able to jump on the trampoline and swing on the swing set with my daughters. Our 2 last Disney trips have been the best because I didn't have to worry about fitting on rides. I did gain 10 lbs last month on our 12 day vacation. I ate a lot! but just by going back to my good habits, I have already lost 6 lbs of that gained weight. We just got back 4 weeks ago and rode FOP no problem. I did see 2 people having a hard time getting the restraints to lock. Now I am by no means downing any person that is overweight. It has been my life for most of my life. I have always avoided going swimming but this year I actually took off my shirt and got in the pool at the Contemporary with my 2 girls. It was the most memorable part of our vacation. Disney builds rides for the majority of people, not all people. We all make choices and anyone can lose weight if they want to. Blaming Disney may not be the answer.

Good job Jimmy Mouse! :) Glad to see you found something that works for you.

While I was never considered obese (at least I don't think?) - I did gain close to 40lbs after I quit smoking cold turkey. Now I used Weight Watchers and I'll swear by it. I know it's cliche, but it really taught me how to eat, not diet. I still use it online even though I don't need to. I've kept the weight off over two years now I think?
Anyways, long story short, I lost the weight and here I am 5 years later - a happy with my size, non-smoker! I NEVER thought I could quit smoking - I am most proud of myself.

I love success stories! :)

Good job Jimmy Mouse! :) Glad to see you found something that works for you.

While I was never considered obese (at least I don't think?) - I did gain close to 40lbs after I quit smoking cold turkey. Now I used Weight Watchers and I'll swear by it. I know it's cliche, but it really taught me how to eat, not diet. I still use it online even though I don't need to. I've kept the weight off over two years now I think?
Anyways, long story short, I lost the weight and here I am 5 years later - a happy with my size, non-smoker! I NEVER thought I could quit smoking - I am most proud of myself.

I love success stories! :)
Good for you! I love success stories too! I quit dipping after 30 plus years. Nicotine is the devil.

I'm glad that you feel good and that you enjoyed your vacation. But I must disagree with your conclusion that because you have had some short-term success in losing weight, everyone else who has a different experience must just not be trying hard enough (and that it's their own fault that Disney decided to build restraints that exclude a significant portion of their customers). Besides being judgmental, your conclusion is factually incorrect: studies have shown that not only don't diets work for long-term weight loss in the majority of people, but dieting may actually harm the human body (http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/Dieting-Does-Not-Work-UCLA-Researchers-7832, for one example).

That's not to say your own personal experience is invalid, or that you (or anyone else) shouldn't diet if it makes you happy. But maybe think a little harder before deciding that everyone who isn't you is just choosing to be fat?
I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else. that was not my intentions. I guess what I wrote can be taken a few ways including the offensive way. That was not my goal.

Last edited:
Well hell, man, I didn't realize it was so easy. I guess I've just been stupid the last 42 years and didn't follow your brilliant doctor's miracle weight-loss plan. Why isn't she a billionaire with all this wonderful wisdom and half the country overweight? If it's so easy -- if anyone can use weight if they want to -- hell, we must all be choosing to be overweight! We're all just big ol' pigs who can't follow the insightful brilliance of Jimmy's doctor! Thanks for setting us straight!

I'm glad you were able to lose the relatively small amount of weight you waned to lose, and you were able to do so without a lot of difficulty. I assure you that's not the case for everyone, and if you think that being overweight is just about choices, you're flat out wrong. After four decades of dealing with weight loss -- of losing 100+ pounds twice, 75 three others, 50 two beyond that and 30 more times than I can count and then gaining it back, of trying very diet system and plan you've ever heard of short of surgery -- it ain't nearly as easy for most people as it's been for you. I won't convince you of that, because those who are not fat carry their own preconceptions of those who are fat, but I will let you know that it's not a matter of choice, or at least not a matter of the kind of easy choice you've described. For some of us, losing weight requires Draconian measures well beyond your doctor's simplistic and, for most people, inaccurate suggestions. While many may not be willing or able to do what their body requires to lose weight, for most of us it's not a matter of will power and it's not a matter of bad choices. it's a matter of body chemistry. If you're going to suggest that being overweight is just a matter of better food choices or being tough enough to give up candy and thousand island dressing -- which you clearly did -- it's not going to go unchallenged. At least not by me.
Sorry if I offended you. Not what I intended to do.

Just here at Disney. Rode yesterday. First...Amazing!! Second, I have been watching these boards afraid I might not fit and have found lots of comfort from people posting their size. So here's mine. 5'7 299 top heavy, pooh stomach. I just sat up really straight and the back came up and needed no help from CM. Now when it was over it did not automatically release, but I didn't even care at that point! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter