Flight attendant strike

mmouse50

DIS Veteran
If United Airlines Flight Attendants actually walk off their jobs, how will that impact
United flights? News says it wouldn’t impact anything for Labor Day and nothing would happen for about 30 days which is great. I fly October 2nd.

Should I book a Southwest flight as a back up in case anything happens and I have to ditch my current United flight?

If United Airlines Flight Attendants actually walk off their jobs, how will that impact
United flights? News says it wouldn’t impact anything for Labor Day and nothing would happen for about 30 days which is great. I fly October 2nd.

Should I book a Southwest flight as a back up in case anything happens and I have to ditch my current United flight?
Not sure but if you do make sure it is an Anytime so that it is fully refundable.

I looked last night when I first heard about the possiblity of the strike and the cheapest was only $188.00 one way - now those are totally gone and the anytime fares are 388. one way

SW seems to pull WGA fares at times for different routes, there’s no rhyme or reason. Since that’s not a holiday time, the fares will most certainly come back. It’s been happening for years.

Wow one more thing worry about since we leave for Hawaii on 10/8
Any words of encouragement

I put the chance of a strike happening this year at less than 1%. Politically, the NLRB isn't going to release the flight attendants from mediation until after the election at the earliest. Immediately after the election would put the strike during the holiday season, which would probably kill United as we know it. I could see them being released in early december for a possible strike date in January, but AA FAs have been trying for almost a year to get released from mediation so they can strike and it still hasn't happened.

If you have the ability to secure a backup flight with no real liability, I would probably do it. Last year I held Delta flights on points when SW pilots were trying to strike. Cancelled and got all my points back when it became evident that my SW flight was going to go.

ETA: I have a business trip scheduled the last week in October and will not be booking a back up flight for that one. If I had United tickets in January, I probably would.

Last edited:
Wow one more thing worry about since we leave for Hawaii on 10/8
Any words of encouragement
My post right above yours…

And if that’s not good enough @EACarlson reminds us it’s an election year, meaning the government ain’t gonna let the first strike in 20 years happen right before a presidential election.

I put the chance of a strike happening this year at less than 1%. Politically, the NLRB isn't going to release the flight attendants from mediation until after the election at the earliest. Immediately after the election would put the strike during the holiday season, which would probably kill United as we know it. I could see them being released in early december for a possible strike date in January, but AA FAs have been trying for almost a year to get released from mediation so they can strike and it still hasn't happened.

If you have the ability to secure a backup flight with no real liability, I would probably do it. Last year I held Delta flights on points when SW pilots were trying to strike. Cancelled and got all my points back when it became evident that my SW flight was going to go.

ETA: I have a business trip scheduled the last week in October and will not be booking a back up flight for that one. If I had United tickets in January, I probably would.
My odds are also 1% or less. You're right, it won't happen regardless of the public posturing. It is extremely challenging for FA unions to go on strike and lots of steps that need to be met. AA finally negotiated a deal and that union was making serious strike threats for months. They were never released from mediation and a deal was reached.

We go in early December. Flying United. I wasn't even thinking about securing a back up flight though.

Do you think we should? I though maybe we'd just switch closer to trip if it really happens. Our flight now isn't even 1/4 full.

We go in early December. Flying United. I wasn't even thinking about securing a back up flight though.

Do you think we should? I though maybe we'd just switch closer to trip if it really happens. Our flight now isn't even 1/4 full.
My recommendation would be to wait and see what happens. A strike authorization vote is the first step towards a strike, not the last. No matter what, you will have 30 days notice to make a back up plan. If it makes you feel better and you've got the points or cash sitting around to book a fully refundable back up, then go for it. I personally wouldn't, but that's me and my risk tolerance profile.

My recommendation would be to wait and see what happens. A strike authorization vote is the first step towards a strike, not the last. No matter what, you will have 30 days notice to make a back up plan. If it makes you feel better and you've got the points or cash sitting around to book a fully refundable back up, then go for it. I personally wouldn't, but that's me and my risk tolerance profile.

I booked a fully refundable back up on American. We chose the cheapest seats because hoping we won't need this flight. I booked with an agent directly to be sure tickets are refundable to original form of payment, which they are.

My husband thinks I'm crazy, but that's fine. 😂

I booked a fully refundable back up on American. We chose the cheapest seats because hoping we won't need this flight. I booked with an agent directly to be sure tickets are refundable to original form of payment, which they are.

To each their own, but that's a lot of extra money out of pocket for something that's not going to be an issue (even if you cancel and get a refund). Fully refundable tickets cost more than regular tickets. American allows non-refundable tickets to be cancelled for a 100% flight credit so long as they're not basic economy. That might be a better route if you have the occasion to fly American within any given 12 month period.

I am a worrier and over planner by nature and even I would not go so far as booking an extra set of airline tickets. That's like $1,000 out of pocket extra. Even if it's eventually refunded you still have to pay for it initially.

To each their own, but that's a lot of extra money out of pocket for something that's not going to be an issue (even if you cancel and get a refund). Fully refundable tickets cost more than regular tickets. American allows non-refundable tickets to be cancelled for a 100% flight credit so long as they're not basic economy. That might be a better route if you have the occasion to fly American within any given 12 month period.

I am a worrier and over planner by nature and even I would not go so far as booking an extra set of airline tickets. That's like $1,000 out of pocket extra. Even if it's eventually refunded you still have to pay for it initially.

As you said, to each their own.😊

I don't think it's crazy, but it wouldn't have been my personal choice. As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. After the new year, I'd be a little more concerned.

This is only a problem if you don't have $1,000 in cash sitting around--and, granted, many people don't. But some people do. And for those folks, the lost interest on the money is maybe a cup of (bad) coffee.

A cup of (bad) coffee is a good insurance policy for a lot of folks.

This is only a problem if you don't have $1,000 in cash sitting around--and, granted, many people don't. But some people do. And for those folks, the lost interest on the money is maybe a cup of (bad) coffee.

A cup of (bad) coffee is a good insurance policy for a lot of folks.

Yep. It wasn't a $1000, and worth it for my peace of mind. I'm a nervous flyer already. Now it's out of my mind and if it so happens they are striking in December, I'm covered. And if they aren't, then I get my money back.

Yep. It wasn't a $1000, and worth it for my peace of mind. I'm a nervous flyer already. Now it's out of my mind and if it so happens they are striking in December, I'm covered. And if they aren't, then I get my money back.
Good! You are are going to have a great time. My post wasn't intended to be critical. I do not care what other people do, and you shouldn't (and don't) care about the opinion of a random stranger on the internet.

It's worth it for you, and that's what matters.

My post was intended for the countless people reading this thread, most of whom will not post, trying to make an informed decision because of the scary sounding news surrounding a strike. The media narrative surrounding the possibility of a strike is much different than the practical likelihood of it actually happening.

I went through this exact thing with American in June and learned a lot, so trying to share some of that knowledge with those who may not be familiar with the complex rules of airline strikes!

Have a wonderful trip thanks for sharing with everyone - it's a great idea and makes perfect sense. It will definitely be helpful for others trying to avoid this same issue.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest