First Time Rental Car Questions/Car vs. WDW Transportation

dtuleya

DIS Veteran
We will be renting a full-sized guaranteed on National's Emerald Aisle. Since this is our first trip to WDW and the fact that we have never rented a car before, I have some questions hopefully some of you seasoned veterans can help me with.

* Does anybody know if side A or B has a more extensive selection of cars? I'm not sure which side we'll be on, but we'll be flying on USAir.

* I've read some posts that say there are some better grocery stores to shop at for selection and price. Any recommendations?

* We are staying at the WL. What (from past expereniences) are the destinations you would drive to vs. WDW transportation. I guess I'm asking specifically other resorts, parks, etc. We do have PS's for Hoop De Doo and plan on making some at the Contemporary. What other areas are difficult to get to from WL using their transportation?

* Our flight lands at MCO at 9:30 AM. We will be using our Emerald Club card at National for speedy checkout and after we make a quick (1/2 hour) stop at the grocery store, what time can we expect to arrive at the WL?

* We will be flying back on Friday, November 29 (Black Friday). Traditionally, is this a busy travel date, or do most people fly on the weekend?

Thanks in advance, I know you regulars will be able to answer some of my questions.

I am not sure about A or B...You shouldn't have a problem with a full size car on either side.

We have never stopped for groceries, but I understand the SuperWalmart would be good due to their prices.

We found that it was very nice to be able to drive to DD and AKL. We were staying at the BWV, so I don't know about MGM or EPCOT. We always take the bus to MK, since you have to take the Monorail or boat over anyway. If you plan on going to a resort, I would recommend driving.

If you arrive at 9:30, I see no reason you won't be at WDW by 11:30 or 12:00.

Can't help you on the 29th, but I have to believe that most people fly on Sunday.

1. I really don't know about A or B either, but if you don't find any full-size you like, just go to the full-size aisle, since that's what you've reserved.

2. We usually go to Publix and we think it's the closest to WL. Take the south exit out of the airport to 417. Get off at the Osceola Parkway exit. At the first light (Gaylord Palms Hotel on left) make a left this is International Drive. Publix will be down the road approx 3/4 mile of left. To go back to Disney, get back on Osceola Parkway, make a left off International Drive, and Osceola Parkway takes you right onto Disney property. Follow signs to MK.

3. We usually use the buses, because we're on vacation, and don't want to worry. We also have small children and the trek back to our car is so long, and we've had good luck with the busses. I use my car to go to DD, other resorts, and the grocery store.

4. If you land at 9:30, figure for at least 1/2 hour to get off the plane and get your luggage, it's approx a 1/2 hour drive to WDW and 1/2 hour for your grocery stop. I think it's safe to say you'll be there by 11:30 at the latest.

5. Usually most people fly on the Wed before and the Sun after Thanksgiving. I'm sure people will be flying on Friday, so don't think it will be a mob scene, but still plan on arriving at the airport 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours before.

Hi there, we always rent a vehicle and drive the rental to all parks. After our first trip, no matter how efficient and wonderful the bus system is.......I HATE BUSES:mad: I like the convenience of driving my car and not having to wait for other people and the people in my party agree. Here's also a big "+" of driving the rental to the parks......shh...no matter what resort we have stayed at (moderate to deluxe) our car ride never was more than 7 minutes (yes we timed it) When we stayed at the SWAN you would have thought that downtown Disney was in the next county. We then realized it was less than 5 minutes away. So my point is ( and i do have one) drive your rental to all the parks. When you check in your resort you will recieve a parking pass and you don't have to pay the daily rate at the parks. Have lots of fun and make sure you have dinner at BOMA at the Animal Kingdom Lodge ( make priority seating arrangements) :jester: :jester:

1 point to make here...

If you stop for groceries on the way to WL, what are you going to do with perishables if your room isn't ready?

Herc.

We are bringing along a collapsible cooler on wheels. We figure we will buy some milk and oj (they should be the only perishables) and a couple of bags of ice. We can leave it in the car if we have to. Just used it in our hotel room on a recent trip. We put the ice in ziploc bags and even though we found a little bit of water on the bottom of the cooler, it didn't make the outside of the cooler wet (over a 3 day span). I figure we'll keep the ice in the original bags and change it when we get settled in our room.

It's a really neat little thing. It holds 56 cans and folds pretty flat. Just figured we'd pack it on the top of one of the suitcases so that it is easily accessible. I found it at Walmart for about $20.

USAir is on B side. I've found that it usually takes between 1:00 to 1:30 from the time we get off the plane until we get to the resort, using EA, without stopping for groceries. Baggage claim is the big variable, sometimes the luggage comes quick, sometimes it takes forever. Last December 3 flights came in at the same time and luggage took forever. Baggage Claim is on level 2, take the elevator down to level one, go down the corridor and make a right out the doors across from the National desk. Go across the street to the garage and the EA is the first row, full size is next to it. Pick your car and drive to the checkout booth. I recommend taking the south exit out of the airport to 417 south.

The DVC resorts offer refrigerator storage for groceries, the bellman will take them. Be sure to separate out the stuff that needs refrigeration.

We used to go to the Super Walmart on 192, but liked the new Winn-Dixie the last time (close to OKW). We always check-in first and then go for groceries. We check-in between 1:00 and 3:00 depending on the flight, sometimes our room is ready and sometimes not. But by the time we have lunch and get the groceries it will be ready. Last time we arrived at 3:00 and it was ready, so we dropped off our luggage in the room and then went for the groceries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter