First Time I Ever Felt That WDW Wasn't Worth The Time and Money

I didn't read every response, so forgive me if this was already suggested. September 20-22 was was a Jewish holiday that a majority of U.S schools are off for. Since it took up Thursday and Friday, I'd imagine some families took the liberty of also taking off Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. In addition, as some people suggested, people rescheduled from Irma. Perhaps it was a combination of the both?

It’s just the way everything today is. Get less for more. Disney is a business and they are noticeably cutting back on most things. But if people are still going, they’ll keep on cutting back to improve the bottom line.

After going in 2009, 2013, and 2014 (and they were AWESOME trips), we decided we wanted to spend our vacations experiencing other adventures. Are we done with Disney? Probably not, but instead of a week at WDW on-site, we get 5 days at UO in November and a week at Playa del Carmen in February for about the same price! To OP, maybe it is time to enjoy other experiences and adventures.

September 20-22 was was a Jewish holiday that a majority of U.S schools are off for.

Whereabouts is this "majority of U.S. Schools" that were out September 20-22 for a Jewish holiday? I've never heard of such a thing. Certainly, none of the schools anywhere around here were out.

Maybe in pockets of the northeast, but certainly not a majority of the U.S.

IMHO food is rarely worth the price anywhere you eat out, especially Disney. It's as close as you can get to flushing your money down the toilet, without literally doing just that. And, in a sense, you are kind of doing that regardless.

I completely agree with the wait for the bus ride back to resorts being ridiculous. There need to be more buses running, especially towards the end of the days. Interesting that buses are free and now they have started with the Minnie Vans, that cost, rather than getting more buses running.

After reading this post I am so glad we didn't change our vacation! We stayed Sept. 7-18th. Crowds Thursday -Saturday were so low it was scary. After our 2 days in the Contemporary riding out Irma, the rest of the week was very slow. Only busy time was Saturday the 16th and Sunday the 17th at the party. Our 2 girls, 6 and 4 actually had the best time in our resort. They set free play at the arcade and it was never really crowded. We had the best trip ever! Sorry OP that you had a bad time. Check out the empty MK, HS and Epcot. Creepy. 2017-31.jpg .... creepy.

Rising crowds has been my biggest peeve, especially at MK. It's always mobbed. Another thing is the rising cost of ADR's. They have risen significantly. Nevertheless, joining DVC did make annual WDW trips a lot more tolerable for us. Plus we always drive everywhere so we have no busing issues. The cost is definitely rising, yet the thought of skipping a trip makes me sad, so I guess it's still worth it to me.

I see that some other people have mentioned planning a shorter stay and I agree. The last couple of trips we've made have been for four to five days and that's perfect for us. We get to do a lot and yet there's plenty that we don't get around to so that there's much to look forward to for the next trip. I also rent a car and drive everywhere which significantly reduces stress and fatigue. You couldn't pay me to get on one of those buses. In terms of sticker shock for meals, I'm from NYC so you really can't sticker shock me there so I guess that's relative. The thing that I don't like about ADRs is that you're forced to stop everything to sit down and eat. We do one or two ADRs per trip and that's it.

I see that some other people have mentioned planning a shorter stay and I agree. The last couple of trips we've made have been for four to five days and that's perfect for us. We get to do a lot and yet there's plenty that we don't get around to so that there's much to look forward to for the next trip. I also rent a car and drive everywhere which significantly reduces stress and fatigue. You couldn't pay me to get on one of those buses. In terms of sticker shock for meals, I'm from NYC so you really can't sticker shock me there so I guess that's relative. The thing that I don't like about ADRs is that you're forced to stop everything to sit down and eat. We do one or two ADRs per trip and that's it.

For me it's not sticker shock. It's that the food isn't worth the price. I don't mind paying $200 for a great meal but not for just an ok meal.

This next trip we are going to do 2-3 ADR's (tea time, BOG lunch and a dessert party) and then wing it the rest of the trip. It'll be just myself and DD12 so it's easier with just us two since we have similar tastes and it's less people to please. We will either eat QS or use the app to get a same day ADR if we want to. We're looking forward to it.

Whereabouts is this "majority of U.S. Schools" that were out September 20-22 for a Jewish holiday? I've never heard of such a thing. Certainly, none of the schools anywhere around here were out.

Maybe in pockets of the northeast, but certainly not a majority of the U.S.

Almost 20% of the nation's population lives in the Boston to D.C. corridor. Not a majority but more than a pocket :)

The purple are where schools close for the Jewish holidays

https://m.imgur.com/wY0WNlC

Last edited:
Rising crowds has been my biggest peeve, especially at MK. It's always mobbed.

I agree. MK is my favorite park (actually the only park I really like right now) and it's almost hard to enjoy it many days after 11 am or so due to the crowds. At some point I'm sure it will become a deal breaker for us

Apples and kumquats. You both are addressing what people do once they get there. How their movements are monitored. How Disney controls crowds. None of that is relevant to the OPs hypothesis that going to WDW is no longer worth the effort and cost. .
huh?

EMH used to = all e-rides + most FP rides.

August AK P EMH = 2 rides.

It isn't worth going to AK for PM EMH if only two rides are open.

The number of folks at that EMH won't be anywhere near the number of folks who went to EMH in prior years, but it will still look crowded, because only TWO rides are open.

. I think it’s just that nothing will ever be as special as the first time so some people may be lessening the magic by going year after year. Harder to appreciate something if you never have time to miss it.

IMHO, when you spend a lot of money for a vacation, rightly or wrongly you have expectations that everything will be spectacular in order to match the amount you are spending. Unfortunately, by making cut backs and nickle and diming us for everything, that can cause Disney not to live up to our expectations.

I agree, first is often best.

But I also disagree a bit because WDW needs repeat customers to survive. I know a great many amusement parks that have closed since 1973.

Part of what made WDW special for a great many years was that they knew how to keep the experience fresh. We complained about Eisner, but he understood that concept very well. There were always reasons to return including many unexpected little treats that happened every trip. Just for one tiny example, the WDW bus drivers used to tell great jokes, which made the bus rides special.

Year after year, WDW was pretty spectacular.

Many times in past years I posted about the wows we experienced. But I don't think I'm hopelessly jaded. Universal's managed to wow our family very recently.

I've been to Diagon Alley a number of times already, and the level of detail still amazes me every time I visit. A fire breathing dragon is impressive, no matter how many times I've seen it.

Last edited:
huh?

EMH used to = all e-rides + most FP rides.

August AK P EMH = 2 rides.

It isn't worth going to AK for PM EMH if only two rides are open.

The number of folks at that EMH won't be anywhere near the number of folks who went to EMH in prior years, but it will still look crowded, because only TWO rides are open.

I think the disconnect comes from the fact that you did not read the OP's original post. It states:
We just got back from a trip from 9/16-9/27. A nice, long, 12-day trip with 5 park days and a party night. It was way more crowded than I thought it would be in mid-September. Uncomfortably crowded at that.

No mention of EMH.
No mention of August AK P EMH
Just an overview statement that "It" (meaning WDW in general) was way more crowded. The crowding formed part of the basis for the ultimate conclusion that WDW is not worth going to anymore for "most people". I will stick with that apple. I'm not going to wade into kumquats that grow in AK during PM EMH.

Good grief. I'm done trying to explain to help you think a little more on this subject. I don't think you are actually thinking about anything I've said.

But Y'know, I'm okay with that. It has been interesting to have this discussion with everyone else.

@SimonSez The crowds didn't bother me. Hot weather doesn't phase me. My interactions with fellow guests were all pleasant.

The rain I experienced last year before Matthew was horrible. The insane prices for wine samples at the Festival were super annoying.

But the thing that irked me the most are the Halloween parties. It made the Magic Kingdom packed for HEA on the nights it played. It caused Epcot to be packed every night that there was a Halloween party.

My family and I are looking at dates for March now. We'd be there during the Flower and Garden Festival. I just hope Iger won't get around to ruining it like he did F&W.
I would like to do F&G one year...can't imagine it's as hectic as what you experienced, but who knows.

We were there in 2016 in December. The crowds were about a 7/10 and the Christmas party was sold out. Honestly if you go in with the attitude of having fun, the crowds really do not matter. Book 3 FP+ and take your time around the park. See some shows, do some shopping. Sit on a bench for 15 minutes and enjoy a Dole Whip. The fun things to do are endless. My 6 yo has to ride Carousel of Progress 2-3 times and its never crowded. My 4 yo is happy watching Country bears. We enjoy the atmosphere and not having to go to work more than any single ride. Yes it's nice to have a low crowd vacation but the crowds are only as bad as you make it.

I am here right now; in fact we arrived this morning. Fifth trip in five years with my five year old. And this will likely be the last for a looooong time. Every ride my kid has been looking forward to has been broken today. Pirates down all day. Splash mountain down for referb. Both haunted mansion and barnstormer broke while we were in line. Little mermaid stalled 7 times while we were on it. Even the people mover broke down just as my son said he wanted to go on it. He was a good sport about it all until the people mover and he started crying and I'm angry. We spend so much money on this and it's been so much less than magical. The only thing that got his mood up was tomorrow land speedway - go carts that I could have paid $20 for at home. Heartbroken and bank broken.

I am here right now; in fact we arrived this morning. Fifth trip in five years with my five year old. And this will likely be the last for a looooong time. Every ride my kid has been looking forward to has been broken today. Pirates down all day. Splash mountain down for referb. Both haunted mansion and barnstormer broke while we were in line. Little mermaid stalled 7 times while we were on it. Even the people mover broke down just as my son said he wanted to go on it. He was a good sport about it all until the people mover and he started crying and I'm angry. We spend so much money on this and it's been so much less than magical. The only thing that got his mood up was tomorrow land speedway - go carts that I could have paid $20 for at home. Heartbroken and bank broken.
Wow! That is horrible! I can see “a” ride going down. It happens. But that many in one day?? Someone in maintenance needs to be fired. We live in GA about 60 miles from six flags. It’s a sub par park and multiple rides always break down so we quit going. Sorry you had a bad trip so far. Maybe it will get better!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!