First Orlando Trip - help, tips advice ?

beltane

Pluto fan since 1970
Hi, I'm planning an Orlando holiday for my husband's birthday Summer 2019 and I'm looking for advice on accomodation. We (2 adults and 1 teenager) have stayed at the Desert Inn and Suites in Anaheim when we visited California, right opposite one of the Disneyland gates, nice big rooms with 2 queen beds, not overly fancy but a great base with excellent transportation links and several restaurants and supermarkets close by. I'm looking for similar type accomodation in Orlando - as we will be only using the room to sleep. Any recommendations would be very helpful. Thanks in advance

You may want to stay at one of the Disney owned resorts:
  • Free transportation to/from the Orlando International Airport (Disney Magical Express)
  • Additional time at certain parks each day (Extra Magic Hours)
  • Early access to FastPass+ to prebook rides (60 days prior to trip)
  • Free MagicBands
You usually save time using Disney shuttles (compared to offsite complementary shuttles):
  • Disney shuttle pickup locations are closer to the park entrance than offsite shuttles
  • Offsite shuttles tend to have more hotel stops than Disney shuttles
  • Disney resorts are closer to the parks than Orlando hotels
If you are flying into Orlando International and staying at a Disney resort, you do NOT need to rent a car.

Last edited:
If you're looking for just a place to sleep that is good on cost, I recommend any of the Value Resorts. The All-Stars (Movies, Music, and Sports) only have double beds, so I would recommend Pop Century. Pop was just renovated and has queen beds now. You could also do moderate, a little bit more expensive, but a little bit more amenities. And as Owl X stated, you get all those perks from staying at an on-site hotel! Staying off-site can be cheaper, but what you save on room, you end up paying in parking. I 100% recommend on-site to anyone going to WDW.

If you're looking for just a place to sleep that is good on cost, I recommend any of the Value Resorts. The All-Stars (Movies, Music, and Sports) only have double beds, so I would recommend Pop Century. Pop was just renovated and has queen beds now. You could also do moderate, a little bit more expensive, but a little bit more amenities. And as Owl X stated, you get all those perks from staying at an on-site hotel! Staying off-site can be cheaper, but what you save on room, you end up paying in parking. I 100% recommend on-site to anyone going to WDW.
Thank you, I will be having a look at these properties plus the WDW ones as suggested by Owl X - lots to think about but these are a great starting point.

You may want to stay at one of the Disney owned resorts:
  • Free transportation to/from the Orlando International Airport (Disney Magical Express)
  • Additional time at certain parks each day (Extra Magic Hours)
  • Early access to FastPass+ to prebook rides (60 days prior to trip)
  • Free MagicBands
You usually save time using Disney shuttles (compared to offsite complementary shuttles):
  • Disney shuttle pickup locations are closer to the park entrance than offsite shuttles
  • Offsite shuttles tend to have more hotel stops than Disney shuttles
  • Disney resorts are closer to the parks than Orlando hotels
Thank you Owl X, we have stayed in Disney resorts in Paris before so yes, you are probably right that the benefits outweigh the savings - Any particular ones you like / recommend?

Thank you Owl X, we have stayed in Disney resorts in Paris before so yes, you are probably right that the benefits outweigh the savings - Any particular ones you like / recommend?
I prefer Pop Century if I book a Value resort:
  • The All Star Hotels share shuttles so there may be multiple stops to/from a resort
  • Pop Century and Art of Animation have dedicated park shuttles (non-shared)
  • Art of Animation now allows dogs (which may be a concern if you have pet allergies)
If I have more to spend on a trip I stay at either the Swan or Dolphin. These resorts are not owned by Disney but are on property between Hollywood Studios and Epcot. They use Disney park transportation, have access to Extra Magic Hours and grant 60 day access to Fastpass+. They do NOT provide transportation to the airport. They also charge a resort fee. They are nicer than the Disney Value resorts but cost more overall.

Looks like Pop Century is a front runner, Art of Animation's pet policy wouldn't be a problem but that's good to know. Really appreciate your help with this because although we have been to Disney Paris and Disneyland in California the scale of Orlando is mind boggling :-)

Orlando is much more spread out than Anaheim. Even staying on-property, you won't be within walking distance of any of the 4 parks (which aren't in walking distance of each other, except Hollywood Studios and Epcot), unless you are in select hotels (Contemporary is an easy walk to MK, and the Epcot area hotels are between Epcot and Hollywood Studios).

For the cheapest price, I like Pop Century, but I would look at the moderates, too. Sometimes, they aren't much more, and I find the transportation easier since the buses go around the resort and stop several times instead of queuing everyone at the front of the resort.

Below is map to give you an idea how spread out the parks and resorts are:
orlando-walt-disney-world-resort-map.jpg

Thank you, the Disney resorts are looking favourable given the sheer size of the area we will want to cover.
orlando-walt-disney-world-resort-map.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Many thanks for this info, I’m narrowing the list down to a couple of value and the 2 moderates mentioned in the replies. I think getting my head around the size of Orlando will be a major challenge. We have seen Paris and California, both of which will seem tiny in comparison. All of this inside info is helping me massively.

The Orlando metro area is significantly larger and way more spread out than Anaheim, you will immediately notice this when you arrive to the area.. WDW is HUGE but yet is only a small fraction of the Orlando area, I assume that since this is your first visit you will likely be spending the majority of your time on WDW property, but keep in mind that there is also lots to see in other parts of the Orlando area.. Feel free to ask any other questions that you may have..

We are looking at a two week stay, and want to get the most out of every day so I’m thinking that planning will be crucial. I knew I’d get some top notch advice on these boards so thanks for this. By the looks of things two weeks won’t cover it all so I’ll need to find out the must do’s and can’t misses !

We are looking at a two week stay, and want to get the most out of every day so I’m thinking that planning will be crucial. I knew I’d get some top notch advice on these boards so thanks for this. By the looks of things two weeks won’t cover it all so I’ll need to find out the must do’s and can’t misses !
You may want to split your stay between Disney and Orlando.
Spend one week at a Disney resort to visit the Disney parks and the other week at a Orlando hotel that has free shuttles to the Universal and Seaworld parks.

There are a lot of things to do on/around International Drive:
You may want to stay at a hotel near a Trolley stop when in Orlando:

Last edited:
You may want to split your stay between Disney and Orlando.
Spend one week at a Disney resort to visit the Disney parks and the other week at a Orlando hotel that has free shuttles to the Universal and Seaworld parks.

There are a lot of things to do on/around International Drive:
You may want to stay at a hotel near a Trolley stop when in Orlando:

Orlando is more than just International Drive.. If the OP wants to experience the real Orlando then here are my recommendations:

Downtown Orlando (Thornton Park, Lake Eola, etc.)
http://www.downtownorlando.com/

Orlando Science Center
https://www.osc.org/

Orlando Museum of Art
http://www.omart.org

Winter Park - Park Avenue District
http://experienceparkavenue.com/

Morse Museum of American Art (Louis Comfort Tiffany Collection)
http://www.morsemuseum.org/

Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts
https://www.drphillipscenter.org/

Hope this helps!

I think splitting the 2 weeks might be a good idea as we will be wanting to go to the Universal parks (not so much SeaWorld) Thank you for suggesting this. Do you have any hotels to suggest nearer to Universal parks? Again, doesn't need to be very fancy but shuttles to parks would be ideal.

Last edited:
Orlando is more than just International Drive.. If the OP wants to experience the real Orlando then here are my recommendations:

Downtown Orlando (Thornton Park, Lake Eola, etc.)
http://www.downtownorlando.com/

Orlando Science Center
https://www.osc.org/

Orlando Museum of Art
http://www.omart.org

Winter Park - Park Avenue District
http://experienceparkavenue.com/

Morse Museum of American Art (Louis Comfort Tiffany Collection)
http://www.morsemuseum.org/

Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts
https://www.drphillipscenter.org/

Hope this helps!

Thank you, yes this is really useful info (most of us Brits think Orlando is wall to wall theme parks) so having a bit more insight is great.

Thank you, yes this is really useful info (most of us Brits think Orlando is wall to wall theme parks) so having a bit more insight is great.

My pleasure! Please let me know if you have any more questions! :)

I think splitting the 2 weeks might be a good idea as we will be wanting to go to the Universal parks (not so much SeaWorld) Thank you for suggesting this. Do you have any hotels to suggest nearer to Universal parks? Again, doesn't need to be very fancy but shuttles to parks would be ideal.

Hi We have been going to Universal yearly now and really enjoy it. You have a couple of options with Universal. We always stay on site when visiting there.

There are 3 deluxe type resorts that include Express Pass (for Studios and Islands of Adventure) and Early Entry into the parks. This Express Pass covers a check in day and check out day. It allows you to get in a different line from stand-by and merges in at the ride loading. An example is stand-by line is 60 minutes and the express line is about 20 minutes. This is a wonderful perk,( we always have it) to have if you don't have a lot of days there. Universal Orlando is a little different from Universal California because of he multiple parks. If you stay on-site you get transportation to the parks but also are close enough to walk. This takes about 10-15 minutes. The three deluxe are Portofino Bay, Hard Rock and Royal Pacific Resort.

There are 2 right now but as of August there will be a third resort that includes Early Entry but no Express Passes. You could weigh out the price difference. Also you can buy the express pass on a daily basis but usually costs more than getting one of the resorts that include it. These resorts are Cabana Bay, Sapphire Falls and the Adventura. I have stayed at Portofino, Cabana Bay, Hard Rock and Royal Pacific.

You can check the Universal section there are great threads on there and very helpful posters who love Universal.

If you want to stay off-site close to Universal I have stayed at the Double Tree In right outside the Parks. However, it was about a 20 minute walk with no shuttles. There are hotels if you go on the Universal Orlando website they are partner hotels with them. I had family stay at a Hampton Inn at Unviersal and it was nice.

Well good luck and ask any other questions:)

Thanks all for your advice - I booked a hotel in Intl. Drive - sort of half way between Disney and Universal after deciding to split our time between the 2 sets of parks and take some trips out to the space ctr etc. We have the 14 day combo park tickets for both so will have lots of day planning ahead. Thanks again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter