Finding the Silver Lining in All of This

I'm so happy to see this thread. I am definitely NOT one of those Disney-is-perfect-don't-criticize them people, but it's tough to comprehend some of the complaints. This entire situation is unprecedented during the lifetime of the Disney parks. The parks, totally shut down for all that time, all those people not working (with the knowledge that so many non-Disney people are in the same boat, of course). Can you even imagine the moving parts this is taking - to reopen everything in a way that's safe and viewed as responsible? In a way that people will feel secure? There is no blueprint here. As a scientist and someone who firmly believes that this virus needs to be treated with respect and caution, I so appreciate the caution being utilized. They can't communicate what's still being checked and double-checked and triple-checked.

I had a trip booked for MNSSHP with my sister and niece at the CR for August 20-23. We almost cancelled last week, thinking if they opened anything it would be one park at a time. And then we almost cancelled after they made announcements about opening, about park reservations, etc. But we started talking yesterday - and we still want to go. This whole thing feels a little reckless, but -- none of us are in risk categories, I figure I'll get tested before I go and after I return (I have to fly from California), I'm working from home for the rest of 2020 so can self-isolate when I get back, and even if it's miserable in a mask, at least it will be a cute villain-themed one. I'm happy to load up on hand sanitizer. I'm OK with sacrificing parkhopping and long, long days. We can afford it (I had two non-Disney trips cancelled this spring, and goodness knows I have the vacation time!), we don't do parades anyways, and no one had their heart set on any character interactions or anything like that. We just wanted to be together. This may very well be the most relaxed trip to Disney I've taken since November 2011, when everything was empty. Also, I'm looking forward to showing my support for the CMs and Disney as a whole.

Last edited:

My silver lining is WDW is open to public again. I'm grateful that my family are fortunate enough to be able to go to WDW many times in the past and will continue to do so in the future. Ever since they closed the parks in March, I keep thinking how nice would it be just to walk on Main Street and see that castle again. One thing that my husband and I love the most about WDW is how it keeps changing and we can spot these changes (good and bad) every time we go back. We love to see how Disney adjusts and we usually have an interesting conversation about the changes we can spot while walking around. There will be plenty of the changes/adjustments for us to spot and discuss this time. I also think it's a good opportunity to teach my children how to adapt to changes. They have been to WDW more than 10 times already and they're old enough now to remember and think critically. We're going back in December and I plan to ask them if they can spot the changes (which will be very easy to spot) and ask them to think why Disney does certain things and if they can come up with any other idea. This trip will be different than our previous trips but I strongly believe that we can still make the most out of it and have fun at our favorite place.

I'm so happy to see this thread. I am definitely NOT one of those Disney-is-perfect-don't-criticize them people, but it's tough to comprehend some of the complaints. This entire situation is unprecedented during the lifetime of the Disney parks. The parks, totally shut down for all that time, all those people not working (with the knowledge that so many non-Disney people are in the same boat, of course). Can you even imagine the moving parts this is taking - to reopen everything in a way that's safe and viwed as responsible? In a way that people will feel secure? There is no blueprint here. As a scientist and someone who firmly believes that this virus needs to be treated with respect and caution, I so appreciate the caution being utilized. They can't communicate what's still being checked and double-checked and triple-checked.

I had a trip booked for MNSSHP with my sister and niece at the CR for August 20-23. We almost cancelled last week, thinking if they opened anything it would be one park at a time. And then we almost cancelled after they made announcements about opening, about park reservations, etc. But we started talking yesterday - and we still want to go. This whole thing feels a little reckless, but -- none of us are in risk categories, I figure I'll get tested before I go and after I return (I have to fly from California), I'm working from home for the rest of 2020 so can self-isolate when I get back, and even if it's miserable in a mask, at least it will be a cute villain-themed one. I'm happy to load up on hand sanitizer. I'm OK with sacrificing parkhopping and long, long days. We can afford it (I had two non-Disney trips cancelled this spring, and goodness knows I have the vacation time!), we don't do parades anyways, and no one had their heart set on any character interactions or anything like that. We just wanted to be together. This may very well be the most relaxed trip to Disney I've taken since November 2011, when everything was empty. Also, I'm looking forward to showing my support for the CMs and Disney as a whole.

I'm glad that I am not the only one that wonders if going is a little reckless. We are not high risk either. My parents are older, so we decided that our son will visit them before our vacation instead of after. He usually spends 2-3 weeks with them in the summer. We have decided to drive instead of fly, but we are only coming from Texas and love to drive. We are able to work from home for the foreseeable future and will also self-isolate for 14 days once we return. We are going as far as I know. If we are uncomfortable at any moment, then we will stay at the resort or return home. I always think of myself as kind of uptight, but I am realizing that I am just a planner. Planning allows me to several possible options in view, so that when a decision has to be made, I already have a potential solution. So, I think not having the normal planning stuff isn't bothering me, probably because I had already expected 90% of what they decided to do.

May we all have an unforgettable time and be able to enjoy Disney for a long time to come too.

I'm glad that I am not the only one that wonders if going is a little reckless.

I’m sure there are many of us. But at some point, unless we lock ourselves in until there’s a vaccine or knockout treatment, we have to make that leap, right? As long as we do it in a way that demonstrates social responsibility and respect for others, that’s as good as we can do. We have to live, and we have to jump start our economy as best we’re able. Hope you and all of us have a safe and magical trip. It will be one for the record books!

I’m sure there are many of us. But at some point, unless we lock ourselves in until there’s a vaccine or knockout treatment, we have to make that leap, right? As long as we do it in a way that demonstrates social responsibility and respect for others, that’s as good as we can do. We have to live, and we have to jump start our economy as best we’re able. Hope you and all of us have a safe and magical trip. It will be one for the record books!
I’ve been having an internal struggle with this, but you are on point. Everything we do for the next couple years until there is vaccine/herd immunity/effective treatment will be done so by weighing risk vs reward. For some folks the risk is too great and for others the reward will outweigh. Places like Disney putting in the levels of protection that they can helps folks determine their level of risk. Ultimately it is going to come down to personal decisions.

Thank you OP.

it really is okay for people to be disappointed but man it’s really hard to read someone of these posts. What a world we live in that during a world wide pandemic folks have outrage over theme park operations. I’m currently spending hours each day in meeting after meeting trying to figure out how we educate our children going forward so maybe I just have an extra dose of perspective.

I’m excited to go with my husband in October. The rides will still be there. I would encourage anyone to go watch some videos from Shanghai Disney. The magic is still there. I’m looking forward to walking down Main Street and seeing the castle. The music will still be there. The smells still there.

yes to Shanghai Disneyland music and videos, oh my gosh!!! It made my heart so happy to see those videos and hear those sounds on opening day! It was Disney Magic, pure and simple. I don’t think disney magic is dependent on fireworks or parades-it’s so much more than that!

The only Silver Lining I can see is the parks are re-opening but it takes 3 years for me to save the 20K for one of these vacations. G*d willing they will return to some normalcy by next year. The same price for a lot less no way.
$20k?!?! Please list how you spend $20k at Disney. That has to be an amazing trip

Loving this thread! We had a 9-day visit booked starting May 24 that we rescheduled to July 19. We’ve gone to WDW 6 times over the last 10 years and are new DVC owners. This was to be our first big trip as a family (my husband and I plus our 12 yo son and 16 yo daughter). We’ve hemmed and hawed over canceling in July, but we’ve decided to go for it. Here’s what we’re excited about!
  • I recently watched old home movies from Magic Kingdom in the 80s. The crowd back then look like what we may see in July - can’t remember the last time I’ve had room to stretch out on Main St USA.
  • We’re not big parade or firework people - we usually use those times to ride marquee rides.
  • We’re doing a split stay - 4 days at AKL Kidani in a Savannah view 1br. I’ve never stayed at AKL and really looking forward to slower mornings and evenings there. Also hoping our anniversary dinner for 2 at Jiko can still happen!
  • Second half of the week we’re at our home resort in a 1br at Boardwalk. I think strolling along the Boardwalk in the mornings and evenings will be loverly.
  • Masks! I know that they’re not fun to wear, but I also believe the reports that says areas of the world with mask enforcement have almost eliminated Covid. Where I live, 75% of people are going maskless. I think I’ll feel safer at WDW than I do in my local grocery store.
  • Unexpected Disney Magic. I just have a hunch that those of us in the early days back will be treated to special customer experiences. Even if it’s just extra gratitude from the cast members. I look forward to supporting them!

They're not going to bump values to deluxe...at this point it's much more likely they'll just cancel them. They only want the ppl. that will pay the most...especially right now.

I figure that for Disney it is better to get any guests than none, but as someone else said, we´ll see.

We are booked in a Family Suite because we have 3 daughters and really want the 2 bathrooms, so being bumped up to a Deluxe resort and have only one bathroom wouldn´t feel like upgrading for us, especially if we were relocated to a Deluxe with many buildings, like GF, so far from the lobby, transportation, etc. (similar to our value resort) and only 1 bathroom, even if the room is a lot nicer, wouldn´t be the best option, but we would make it work.

Totally agree. I’ve heard value would be moved to a moderate. I guess only time will tell. I was originally booked at Boardwalk but have had to move my trip twice. This third time I threw my hands up and just moved to AOA to save the money and be near the skyliner.

We´ll see what happens. There is 5 of us in a Family Suite at ASMu, so I really hope we are not "upgraded" to a moderate with only one bathroom. The only moderate that I like is POFQ which I don´t think has a 5th bed option, I think POR is the only one and I really wouldn´t like to stay there.

We´ll see what happens. There is 5 of us in a Family Suite at ASMu, so I really hope we are not "upgraded" to a moderate with only one bathroom. The only moderate that I like is POFQ which I don´t think has a 5th bed option, I think POR is the only one and I really wouldn´t like to stay there.

CBR has a 5th bed option but idk about the bathroom situation. I hope you get to keep your preferred accommodations though!

And I agree with the original poster.

We have been going to WDW for years and I always have to plan everything to a T. So not having to think 6 months in advance if I want to go to MK on monday or tuesday because we have to make ADR´s is great. Or going from one side to the park to another because of the timing of a FP+, or waking up super early to be there at rope drop after going to bed super late are advantages.

And the truth is that I will be happy NOT to have to get in line for any character meet and greets.

Will miss the parades and fireworks, but will not miss all the time that we spent saving great spots to watch them.

If my daughters were a lot younger, this was their first trip or a once in a lifetime, I might reconsider booking. The only thing that makes me hesitate is wearing a mask all day, but I still have time to see if neck gaiters are really ok. of find some cool flow or something masks.

But the real problem that we have is that I had made a room only reservation because I am attending a Conference in Orlando and last year they had discounted tickets for attendees, so I was waiting to buy our tickets and now I don´t know if I will be able to add tickets to our reservation. I called earlier today and was told that it needed to be cancelled and then have a new ressie made as a package, so we will have to wait and see 😥

Yes, I can understand the princess thing. My girls are a little older now, so I think they will be ok without it. However, my 5 year old son is insisting he can still meet BB8 because, “he’s not a person, so he can’t spread coronavirus.” He will be ok though!
Love this thread but it is bittersweet. I just cancelled my reservations the beginning of the week after reading about Disney not booking rooms or selling tickets. We had already decided it wasn't for us to go this year, but the lure of smaller crowds is great. However, I was hanging onto the rooms deciding when I wanted to rebook for, but I cancelled so as to give Disney a more true count for the week we had booked (August 23 - 30). Of course, after cancelling (Royal Room at POR) I started thinking about a duo trip with DH and me, and today I read that the estimate of the crowds for the rest of the year was estimated at 25%! (Can I have my reservation back? I was only moving it and accidentally cancelled it, lol.)
You guys go, have a wonderful time, and let us know how it is! I'll live vicariously through the trip reports for this year.

AANAme. Cli

Loving this thread! We had a 9-day visit booked starting May 24 that we rescheduled to July 19. We’ve gone to WDW 6 times over the last 10 years and are new DVC owners. This was to be our first big trip as a family (my husband and I plus our 12 yo son and 16 yo daughter). We’ve hemmed and hawed over canceling in July, but we’ve decided to go for it. Here’s what we’re excited about!
  • I recently watched old home movies from Magic Kingdom in the 80s. The crowd back then look like what we may see in July - can’t remember the last time I’ve had room to stretch out on Main St USA.
  • We’re not big parade or firework people - we usually use those times to ride marquee rides.
  • We’re doing a split stay - 4 days at AKL Kidani in a Savannah view 1br. I’ve never stayed at AKL and really looking forward to slower mornings and evenings there. Also hoping our anniversary dinner for 2 at Jiko can still happen!
  • Second half of the week we’re at our home resort in a 1br at Boardwalk. I think strolling along the Boardwalk in the mornings and evenings will be loverly.
  • Masks! I know that they’re not fun to wear, but I also believe the reports that says areas of the world with mask enforcement have almost eliminated Covid. Where I live, 75% of people are going maskless. I think I’ll feel safer at WDW than I do in my local grocery store.
  • Unexpected Disney Magic. I just have a hunch that those of us in the early days back will be treated to special customer experiences. Even if it’s just extra gratitude from the cast members. I look forward to supporting them!

Congratulations on your DVC purchase. We have a contract for BWV at ROFR. Hoping to hear back soon. Jiko is amazing, so is AKL. That's a great resort for a "resort" trip. We will be staying at BWV in July too. I think it will be nice to be able to walk around in the fresh air and open spaces at night. I know I will feel compelled to thank every CM I see. When we went to Volcano Bay opening weekend, I felt so bad for how the employees were being treated. I said how much we loved the park and were having a good time.

Love this thread. Thanks OP for staying positive right now with all these changes! These have probably been said before (sorry I didn’t read through all the pages) but 1/ I’m excited to experience Disney with much lower crowds, 2/ I’m sure they’ll offer different forms of entertainment that we haven’t seen before to follow guidelines, and 3/ These changes probably won’t last and I’m selfishly excited to try these “limited edition” (🤣🤣🤣) Disney experiences! And tell my grandkids someday all about what I did “back in the first pandemic of 2020.... “

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter