Feeling discouraged about rain

Most of the time when they say its going to rain it just turns out to be partly cloudy. I would not let the possibility of rain discourage you from your trip. The weather man can't get two days out correct much less anything more than that. Go and have a great time.

Just wanted to point out that the forecast has already shifted to show only rain on Friday. I’m sure it’ll change again before next week but in general rain seems to be clearing from the forecast :)

ETA: nevermind :rolleyes1

Last edited:
If it does start raining, take the time to peek inside stores and various covered nooks. We were at DCA once when it started raining. Characters from BVS scattered to shops and other dry places. We got some of the best M&G photos ever! Minnie appeared in the foyer of CCR -- no one saw her relocate, so we had her all to ourselves for at least 20 minutes of fun! Pluto went to the photo shop -- again, no one discovered him there. We had a blast for almost half an hour before someone else finally showed up. :) Do make sure to bring dry shoes and socks (you can keep them in a locker) -- they make all the difference on a wet day! And get as wet as possible before changing. We've ridden the water rides numerous times in a row (CMs will just let you keep going until you ask to stop!) since we knew we were going to change later anyway. Rainy days at DLR are so much fun!

We are from Washington State, so we know rain. I remember when I lived in California, even if it rained,it only rained for a short period of time, it wasn't a full on day of rain.

The only question/concern is how to pack. We weren't planning on bringing much cold weather/rain gear, now we have to make an allowance for that :)

...The only question/concern is how to pack. We weren't planning on bringing much cold weather/rain gear, now we have to make an allowance for that :)

Layers, layers, layers! That way, no matter what the weather -- warm to cold -- you're covered (literally!). Just make sure you have at least one option other than jeans, in case it does get damp/wet. Speaking from experience, wet jeans are no fun in the parks. If you have anything made from quick-dry fabric, that would be great. We usually have t-shirts (long sleeve for me, short sleeve for DH), flannel shirt or light sweater, and jackets. The jackets fold up into a pocket, so they stuff right into the backpack. If the weather warms up, the flannels can be tied around the waist or shoulders or stuffed into the backpack or a locker. And if you decide to splurge, buy a Disney hoodie! Then you'll get souvenirs, too. :)

I have been checking the 10-day forecast for Anaheim on weather.com since I first saw this thread. The forecast changes several times a day. Once I saw a forecast of rain on one day, but when I clicked on that day further details were up to 0.25 inch. Now some days state showers.

We LOVE Disney in the rain. My son is a late December baby and we are always there celebrating his birthday, usually in the rain. It does clear out to a degree but certain rides will have lines regardless from my experience. I was there 2 days ago and it was so cold with rain coming in a points but the ride queues were still in excess of 90+ minutes for the popular ones. New to the board so I haven’t got the hang of all the acronyms yet LOL .

I have pictures going back to last six years of my children from toddlers up with us in jackets enjoying Disney in the rain in January - great memories. 100% recommend extra pair dry socks and pants if possible. I wore a new pair of slip-on Crocs that became filthy from dirty water from a downpour at Disneyland and they were so tight and squishy by end the evening.

I agree our SoCal weather is very unpredictable - there was rain forecasted last night but that has been removed as I’m looking outside at ominous clouds coming in.

It shows rain now for every day of our trip :( over half inch on Thurs/Friday. I am holding out hope it changes for the better before we leave.

Does anyone know what level of rain affects Fantasmic? We have dining reservations with viewing and I’m wondering if it will play at all if the rain is just intermittent at night...

Does anyone know what level of rain affects Fantasmic? We have dining reservations with viewing and I’m wondering if it will play at all if the rain is just intermittent at night...

I Was wondering this too. We have a WOC dining package and I will cancel it if there is a chance WOC will be canceled.

I Was wondering this too. We have a WOC dining package and I will cancel it if there is a chance WOC will be canceled.
My general understanding is that Fantasmic is more likely to be affected rain because it involves live performers, and if the ground is too slippery it's a hazard.

WoC, on the other hand, only seems to be cancelled for bigger storms. I don't have personal experience with this, but I've heard people say the show has gone on in light rain. I don't know how the dessert party would be handled in that situation though - if they would bring out umbrellas, or maybe pack up your desserts so they don't get wet until you're ready to eat them. The dessert party page does say this:
  • Dessert party packages will not be refunded unless the show is canceled by Park management.
So it sounds like if the show is cancelled you'll get a refund.

I believe you are going to be there mid next week - forecast will likely change 5 or 6 times by then! Our 2014 trip, there was this huge storm coming - people were like all prepared - flight was delayed at first - lightning the whole works. Anyway needless to say we were a bit worried what was going to pan out. Our flight ended up leaving on time after all, landed no problems on time, sure it rained but certainly nothing crazy. We went to the parks that evening and walked on so many rides it was glorious. The thing is there is nothing you can do to change weather - take all your rain gear with you and hopefully you won't need it.

We have been there before when it has rained and we loved it! just buy those disposable rain ponchos! we will be there the middle of next week and plan to do this, we love the lower crowds and just will make the most of it!

The rain is actually disappearing from the forecast...

I’ll be honest, I’d be disappointed to get nothing but rainy days for a whole trip. But some rain is actually kind of fun, in my opinion! I often make a point to head to the parks if it’s raining.

My general understanding is that Fantasmic is more likely to be affected rain because it involves live performers, and if the ground is too slippery it's a hazard.

WoC, on the other hand, only seems to be cancelled for bigger storms. I don't have personal experience with this, but I've heard people say the show has gone on in light rain. I don't know how the dessert party would be handled in that situation though - if they would bring out umbrellas, or maybe pack up your desserts so they don't get wet until you're ready to eat them. The dessert party page does say this:
  • Dessert party packages will not be refunded unless the show is canceled by Park management.
So it sounds like if the show is cancelled you'll get a refund.

Yep, my experiences line up with the above. I've had WoC cancelled due to high winds (happened last December) but light rain won't stop the show. When I went earlier this month, it poured at the start of WoC but the show kept going. Fantasmic, on the other hand, was cancelled that night for the 9pm showing.

I also love Disneyland in the rain! Shorter lines and less crowds are awesome. :) Just be prepared otherwise being wet and cold is kinda miserable.

Thank you all for talking me off the ledge. Almost all the rain is gone from the forecast! Crazy how quick things change.

Thank you all for talking me off the ledge. Almost all the rain is gone from the forecast! Crazy how quick things change.
wizard.gif
magic-wand-smiley1.gif

Here's a little magic to keep the weather in check for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!