Federal Court GRANTS Disney an Injunction against Redbox - See post #7 for update

jcb

always emerging from hibernation
In a decision that is anything but clear, the federal court hearing Disney's dispute with Redbox denied Disney request for a preliminary injunction. Disney sued Redbox for repackaging the "download code" that Disney sold with the DVD/Blu-Ray combo packs.

The first part of the decision addressed Disney's contract claims, holding Disney had not used sufficiently clear language on the outside of the combo pack to give the purchaser notice that the purchaser had to agree to the contract terms. Disney can correct this in future sales so look for the fine print on Blu-Ray boxes to increase.

The bizarre part of the decision concerned Disney's copyright claim. The court denied Disney's request for an injunction finding Redbox might be able to prove "copyright misuse" which is a defense to a copyright infringement claim. Copyright misuse arises out of a copyright holder’s attempt to unfairly claim rights broader than those granted by the copyright itself. As I said on the podcast, copyright misuse is rarely ever asserted and even more rarely successful. Disney's conduct fit, even arguably, none of the common descriptions of copyright misuse.

Instead, the court said Disney may have engaged in copyright misuse when it tried to enforce its exclusive right to sell the copyrighted work against people who had purchased the copy and wanted to resell the digital movie. Here is the court's explanation (with citations to other decisions omitted):

The Copyright Act gives copyright owners the exclusive right to distribute copies of the copyrighted work. 17 U.S.C. § 106(3); Adobe Sys., Inc. v. Christenson, 809 F.3d 1071, 1076 (9th Cir. 2015). That right is exhausted, however, once the owner places a copy of a copyrighted item into the stream of commerce by selling it. Id.; 17 U.S.C. § 109(a); Vernor v. Autodesk, 621 F.3d 1102, 1107 (9th Cir. 2010). In other words, once a copyright owner transfers title to a particular copy of a work, the transferor is powerless to stop the transferee from redistributing that copy as he chooses.

There can be no dispute, therefore, that Disney’s copyrights do not give it the power to prevent consumers from selling or otherwise transferring the Blu-ray discs and DVDs contained within Combo Packs. Disney does not contend otherwise. Nevertheless, the terms of both digital download services’ license agreements purport to give Disney a power specifically denied to copyright holders by § 109(a). RedeemDigitalMovies requires redeemers to represent that they are currently “the owner of the physical product that accompanied the digital code at the time of purchase,” while the Movies Anywhere terms of use only allow registered members to “enter authorized . . . Digital Copy codes from a Digital Copy enabled . . . physical product that is owned by [that member].” Thus, Combo Pack purchasers cannot access digital movie content, for which they have already paid, without exceeding the scope of the license agreement unless they forego their statutorily-guaranteed right to distribute their physical copies of that same movie as they see fit. This improper leveraging of Disney’s copyright in the digital content to restrict secondary transfers of physical copies directly implicates and conflicts with public policy enshrined in the Copyright Act, and constitutes copyright misuse.​

It seems to me that the court is saying the right to resell the physical copy of a work means the end purchaser must also have the right to separately sell the digital copy of the work (of course, the digital copy has to be first lawfully obtained, typically by buying it with the physical DVD or BluRay). As I understand it, this is known as the "first sale" doctrine. If you buy a book that is copyrighted, you can sell the book without violating the copyright laws. For more: https://www.justice.gov/usam/crimin...54-copyright-infringement-first-sale-doctrine

The court's discussion of copyright misuse seems to rest entirely on its finding that Disney engaged in copyright misuse by trying to circumvent the first sale doctrine. I don't agree with the court's conclusions because I don't understand how a copyright holder (Disney) engages in misuse by preventing resales of copies of their product (the digital movie) when that product is divorced from the physical medium (the DVD or BluRay).

But what makes this decision very hard (if not impossible) for me to understand is that, after saying Disney may have engaged in copyright misuse by trying to circumvent the first sale doctrine as to the downloaded movie, the court then says "it appears to the court that the first sale doctrine is not applicable to this case" and, further, rejected Redbox's attempt to apply the first sale doctrine to digital copies: "Because no particular, fixed copy of a copyrighted work yet existed at the time Redbox purchased, or sold, a digital download code, the first sale doctrine is inapplicable to this case."

The decision does not decide whether Disney actually engaged in copyright misuse. Procedurally, it merely decided Disney was not entitled to an injunction. The decision nevertheless seems to indicate that this federal judge might very well ultimately find that Disney engaged in copyright misuse. You can bet Disney will appeal as soon as it can. Procedurally, Disney can ask an appeals court to review this decision. The stakes are enormous. According to one article published by the American Bar Association (https://apps.americanbar.org/litiga...ctual-property-copyright-misuse-overview.html):

Where the affirmative defense of copyright misuse has been proven, the copyright holder is prevented from enforcing its copyright until it demonstrates that it has purged the misuse by abandoning the inappropriate conduct, and in cases where the misuse had actual anticompetitive consequences, the rights holder must prove that those consequences have dissipated.[6] If this isn’t shown, the copyright can’t be enforced.​

Last edited:
I've tried to upload a pdf of the ruling. This sometimes doesn't work.

Attachments

• 031127591204.pdf
    154 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for the update on this issue Jack. I'm sure Disney is suitably agitated.

Since this was a request for a preliminary injunction rather than an actual decision on the case Disney is in no worse condition now that it was before filing suit. Well, except for the unspecified loss of revenues that continues until a permanent injunction is issued, assuming Disney prevails. Right?

You are right that by itself this ruling does not put Disney in a worse position but one of the criteria (perhaps the most important one) in deciding whether to issue a preliminary injunction is whether the party seeking the injunction has shown they are likely to succeed on the merits.

So this ruling can be read to say that this federal judge does not think Disney will ultimately succeed. That is why I believe Disney will appeal the ruling. If it does, however, Disney would be able to recover the revenues Redbox derived from selling the digital download codes.

If it does, however, Disney would be able to recover the revenues Redbox derived from selling the digital download codes.
Hmm. Thinking that Redbox is already suffering from the rise of streaming services. If they fail in this suit I wouldn't be surprised if bankruptcy is next.

I agree streaming is very likely to replace physical media. And, to be honest, I wonder how courts or Congress will adjust the "first sale doctrine" to reflect the changes. Of course, streaming it isn't just for movies. Digital downloads have replaced CD sales (Best Buy, I think, no longer sells CDs). And then there are electronic books.

The absurdity (and I don't use that word lightly) of the decision is that it strongly (but inconsistently) implies that a company cannot limit resale of digital downloads, whether movies, music or books but many copyright holders limit your ability to resell purely electronic copies. Take Kindle, Amazon currently allows the purchaser to "lend a Kindle book to another reader for up to 14 days"* but I didn't see any instructions on how to transfer a "book" to another user once the original purchaser has finished reading (or not) the book.** Perhaps someone who uses Kindle more than I can explain whether this is possible. Also, I'm not aware whether I can permanently transfer a song I purchased in iTunes to another user.

I understand the court ostensibly held that the first sale doctrine doesn't apply to digital sales but I'm having a hard time reconciling that holding with the holding that Disney may have engaged in copyright misuse by prohibiting purchasers from transferring the digital copy of a movie when that "copy" is sold with a physical copy of the movie (DVD/Blu Ray).

Now, as to the impact of the lawsuit, as implied by the above discussion, I think, like CD's, the days of physical media are numbered. That likely means Redbox's days are numbered unless Redbox is able to radically change it's business model. I don't know Redbox's current financial status but, with some notable exceptions, lawsuits alone rarely drive a company into bankruptcy.

*https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_rel_topic?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200549320
**https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_bc_nav?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201706240

I'm reviving the thread to address Wednesday's (8/29/2018) injunction. (I tried attaching the decision to this post.)

Disney changed the license language. That made a difference. That's a boring contract issue.

The exciting (but only for copyright nerds) issue is the Court's change to its ruling on Redbox's copyright misuse defense. As I explained before, the court said it was "copyright misuse" (trying to leverage your copyright beyond what Congress has authorized) to require the disc owners to affirm that they currently possessed the physical DVD and Blu-Rays discs that were included with the download codes. Requiring the disc owners to maintain possession of the discs in order to have a licensed copy of the digital download violated the "first sale doctrine" (explanation in first post).

Disney changed this language and the Court decided the change eliminated the misuse problem. As the court explained

Disney has now changed the terms of use on the redemption sites. Downloaders no longer need affirm that they possess the physical discs, to which first sale rights would apply. Instead, RedeemDigitalMovie.com now states that Codes may not be sold separately and may only be redeemed “by an individual who obtains the code” in a Combo Pack. Movies Anywhere states, “For combination packs: By redeeming a digital code . . .you are representing that you . . . obtained the code in an original . . . package and the code was not purchased separately. Your representation is a condition of redemption . . . .”​

This language doesn't "encroach upon disc owners' alienation rights" i.e., a fancy legal way of saying discs owners can now sell or transfer the physical discs and lawfully keep the digital file (or rights, if you don't download the file itself). To quote from the decision:
  • Under the revised terms, Combo Pack purchasers and recipients continue to enjoy digital access regardless whether they keep or dispose of the physical discs.
  • Now, however, digital access is conditioned not on possession of the discs, but on the manner of Code acquisition. A Combo Pack owner who disposes of the discs is left with the same digital access
    rights he or she always possessed.
While I doubt this ruling will itself increase inventories in second-hand DVD/Blu-Ray stores (probably because people were already selling discs upon downloading the movie or show) Disney may have temporarily paid a pretty hefty price for this injunction. To get this federal judge to give it an injunction, Disney had to permit purchasers to sell the physical discs but keep the downloads. If the discs can be bought second-hand this might decrease Disney's initial disc sales, I suppose, but like with CDs, the retail movie industry is moving to streaming and digital downloads. Disney, we already know, is investing heavily in streaming so it probably decided whatever short term losses might occur will be eliminated in the not to distance future.

On the other hand, if my local second hand store is any indication, there are already a flood of DVDs and Blu-Rays available for second hand purchase. Disney may have ran the math and decided its current "losses" from consumer resales were lower than the likely future losses from Redbox's digital download sales.

Attachments

• 2018-08-29 - Preliminary Injunction.pdf
    130.3 KB · Views: 1

Interesting. I can't recall the last time I actually bought a DVD. Everything I get these days is a digital download directly from the retailer (usually Amazon). Wondering how long RedBox's business model will remain viable.

Yes, even though I have a collection of MANY Disney VHS tapes, and a HUGE collection of all kinds of music (including Disney) on both CD's and cassette tapes (yes - I said VHS and cassette - I am old school on some things, and have been collecting all this for quite awhile!!!) I can't tell you the last time I watched or listened to either in those formats. Also - due to life circumstances, they've had to be stored in not climate controlled environments for over 2 years, so I don't even know how viable they are, so I will probably just dispose of them in the future. Hold onto them for sentimental reasons more than anything else.

Interesting. I can't recall the last time I actually bought a DVD. Everything I get these days is a digital download directly from the retailer (usually Amazon). Wondering how long RedBox's business model will remain viable.

For movies, I reserve my physical media purchases to franchises that start with Star

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter