February 2019 - Check In

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I am intending on bringing lots of park maps from DLP as well as some special treats (like DLP specific pins) to give the CMs I meet along the way my own sprinkle of pixie dust (if you see me say hi and you can have some too - I’ll be wearing DLP specific merch including spirit jerseys etc)

DLPs castle is a sight to behold and I hope you’ll get to see it one day too it is by FAR my favorite one!

Anyway I have done some research on previous years and splash is only ever open in February after a very lengthy refurbishment the year prior - and with Grizly River Runndown for refurb in DCA I’m hoping to be in luck...

But if not there is so much to see and do (AND EAT) that maybe it’s a good thing it’ll be closed because I would probably just spend a day riding it!

I’m excited to see the valentines celebrations I’m just wondering if crowds will really be as busy as crowd calendars are predicting?

How cool of you to bring the fun DLP stuff! If I see you I will definitely say hi. I think the DLP castle is often ranked as the most beautiful and I can see why!

Let’s cross fingers for Splash, my big fear is that they will be getting the park in tip-top shape for the Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge premiere. And thus they may go ahead and put it in refurb. Although to be honest, I’m such a wimp when it’s cold I may not ride it much if it’s at all windy or cold, lol.

But yes, already plotting and trying to decide which food to eat, hahaha! We always have to have fried chicken, churros, one of the New Orleans Square restaurants, and something nice for our anniversary dinner like Carthay or Napa Rose.

In my experience, it is pretty busy because Valentine’s Day is fairly crowded (especially at restaurants) and that Monday is Presidents‘ Day. Lots of people take the weekend and Monday off. But I actually haven’t checked the crowd calendars yet. They tend to be not as accurate for Disneyland, so I take them with a grain of salt. It’s not as busy as Christmas week or New Years, tho. Which is my benchmark for crowds. :p

DH and I will be there Feb 3-8 staying at GCV....glad to be going back (sitting in room at WDW right now!)

We're almost at the 2 month out mark for our trip and I'm super excited, tbh. We went to WDW this year, which we loved, but we have missed our DLR trip SO bad this year!

On a side note, I thought the "Welcome Home" signage here and there at WDW was cute, but I think of DLR, obviously, when I think of Disney "Home".

I had air miles on Alaska, only 15k for the trip. It was a pretty good deal. Are you flying out of PDX?

I have set alerts on Kayak before when I was hoping for sales. Twice I’ve had success with that.

Yep, PDX. I keep watching Alaska and Jet Blue. I’m having a hard time committing because I’m always afraid the price will drop the next day! o_O

Yep, PDX. I keep watching Alaska and Jet Blue. I’m having a hard time committing because I’m always afraid the price will drop the next day! o_O
I found SW to be significantly cheaper for my Feb flight from PDX... I mean, unless you are loving JB's 6am flight... SW is at LGB as well. However, its not direct.

I paid $81.80 on SW. I think I bought like 2 months ago, so not sure on the price difference now. I hadn't flown SW for 4 years since JB had been so cheap. But now that JB is only running 1 flight a day to LGB, and it's more expensive, it looks like I might be back to SW. JB was cheaper on the way home, though.

I found SW to be significantly cheaper for my Feb flight from PDX... I mean, unless you are loving JB's 6am flight... SW is at LGB as well. However, its not direct.

I paid $81.80 on SW. I think I bought like 2 months ago, so not sure on the price difference now. I hadn't flown SW for 4 years since JB had been so cheap. But now that JB is only running 1 flight a day to LGB, and it's more expensive, it looks like I might be back to SW. JB was cheaper on the way home, though.

Oh I didn’t know that! I’ll check it out. I don’t mind changing planes if it’s a short layover. Thank you!!!

Oh I didn’t know that! I’ll check it out. I don’t mind changing planes if it’s a short layover. Thank you!!!
I out east of Salem, so it's about 90 minutes to PDX, plus arriving 90 minutes before the flight, and 15-25 minutes on the long-stay economy bus means I'm leaving at like 3:00am to catch that JB flight.... And I'm not nice (or even reasonable) after getting up that early ;)

I out east of Salem, so it's about 90 minutes to PDX, plus arriving 90 minutes before the flight, and 15-25 minutes on the long-stay economy bus means I'm leaving at like 3:00am to catch that JB flight.... And I'm not nice (or even reasonable) after getting up that early ;)

I know what you mean. I’m in Corvallis so it’s 90 minutes from here too. We do that early flight in the summer but it could be buckets of rain in March and that would be miserable at 3 in the morning.

How cool of you to bring the fun DLP stuff! If I see you I will definitely say hi. I think the DLP castle is often ranked as the most beautiful and I can see why!

Let’s cross fingers for Splash, my big fear is that they will be getting the park in tip-top shape for the Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge premiere. And thus they may go ahead and put it in refurb. Although to be honest, I’m such a wimp when it’s cold I may not ride it much if it’s at all windy or cold, lol.

But yes, already plotting and trying to decide which food to eat, hahaha! We always have to have fried chicken, churros, one of the New Orleans Square restaurants, and something nice for our anniversary dinner like Carthay or Napa Rose.

In my experience, it is pretty busy because Valentine’s Day is fairly crowded (especially at restaurants) and that Monday is Presidents‘ Day. Lots of people take the weekend and Monday off. But I actually haven’t checked the crowd calendars yet. They tend to be not as accurate for Disneyland, so I take them with a grain of salt. It’s not as busy as Christmas week or New Years, tho. Which is my benchmark for crowds. :p

I brought some DLP stuff to the CMs in Shanghai and they loved it - I hope it’ll be the same at DLR.

I didn’t actually realise that the Monday was a holiday. That makes more sense as to why the crowd calendars seem to be aiming high. Bigger crowds mean longer park hours which is better value for money (that’s how I see it anyway) I will be using single rider / max pass / mobile ordering to reduce queuing as much as possible.

The one thing I find frustrating about DLR is the short notice of park hours. Here at DLP the hours are known right up to the end of March and the refurbishment calendar is published right up to summer 2019!!! I know each park is different in good and bad ways but it seems like a reasonable request to know this information 2 months before you go!

I brought some DLP stuff to the CMs in Shanghai and they loved it - I hope it’ll be the same at DLR.

I didn’t actually realise that the Monday was a holiday. That makes more sense as to why the crowd calendars seem to be aiming high. Bigger crowds mean longer park hours which is better value for money (that’s how I see it anyway) I will be using single rider / max pass / mobile ordering to reduce queuing as much as possible.

The one thing I find frustrating about DLR is the short notice of park hours. Here at DLP the hours are known right up to the end of March and the refurbishment calendar is published right up to summer 2019!!! I know each park is different in good and bad ways but it seems like a reasonable request to know this information 2 months before you go!

Oh I’m sure the CMs and anyone else lucky enough to snag some DLP swag will love it!

Yeah, it’s rather a strange holiday in the US. Some schools take off the whole week, others just the Monday. My husband is a college professor and he gets the Friday and the Monday off. Go figure, lol.

And I know it may be unpopular, but I rather agree with you regarding holidays and longer hours. I used to go a lot during ‘off times’ and anymore don’t find it significantly better. Tons of people can make a 10am or 9am opening and the lines to enter the park get looonnnggg. For whatver reason, Disney still likes to pretend there is an off season and staffs accordingly. I have waited in long queues at times at off times for things like Big Thunder because they only have enough staffed for a single train. But when I go on weekends or holidays they have tons of staff and multiple trains and my ride goes faster (because of FASTPASS/MaxPass). I would say that busy times favor the planner and the person who knows how to tour. So I am ok with busier times these days until Disney comes to their senses and staffs appropriately. Ok, that was a rant. Lol!!

There seems to be an even slower uploading of the calendar than even I am used to. I agree it’s pretty frustrating. I am guessing they are waiting until the last possible minute to hopefully bring back World of Color and sort out the schedule for Mickey’s Mix Magic (did I spell that right?) and Soundsational Parade. I noticed they haven’t really even sorted Fantasmic! out at the end of Jan! Jeez.

What are you looking forward to, eating wise? :flower1:

WDW vets making our 1st trip ever to DL/CA. We will be staying at DGC Feb 10-15. We have 4 day park hoppers. Cant wait!!

February 15-18th for our annual birthday trip for our son (11). VGC studio and signature APs.
Mike

Oh I’m sure the CMs and anyone else lucky enough to snag some DLP swag will love it!

Yeah, it’s rather a strange holiday in the US. Some schools take off the whole week, others just the Monday. My husband is a college professor and he gets the Friday and the Monday off. Go figure, lol.

And I know it may be unpopular, but I rather agree with you regarding holidays and longer hours. I used to go a lot during ‘off times’ and anymore don’t find it significantly better. Tons of people can make a 10am or 9am opening and the lines to enter the park get looonnnggg. For whatver reason, Disney still likes to pretend there is an off season and staffs accordingly. I have waited in long queues at times at off times for things like Big Thunder because they only have enough staffed for a single train. But when I go on weekends or holidays they have tons of staff and multiple trains and my ride goes faster (because of FASTPASS/MaxPass). I would say that busy times favor the planner and the person who knows how to tour. So I am ok with busier times these days until Disney comes to their senses and staffs appropriately. Ok, that was a rant. Lol!!

There seems to be an even slower uploading of the calendar than even I am used to. I agree it’s pretty frustrating. I am guessing they are waiting until the last possible minute to hopefully bring back World of Color and sort out the schedule for Mickey’s Mix Magic (did I spell that right?) and Soundsational Parade. I noticed they haven’t really even sorted Fantasmic! out at the end of Jan! Jeez.

What are you looking forward to, eating wise? :flower1:
I am a high school teacher here in France and we have two weeks off which is nice! DLP is great on a lot of things but when it comes to attractions and restaurants (especially quick service) there is a big problem when it comes to staffing and that's a whole different discussion but it's reassuring to see that DL has problems there too (and when I say problems I mean park management loves cutting corners to make a quick buck too!!)

There does seem to be an array of entertainment coming to the resort in a relatively quieter period ( Soundsational returns with new floats and Mickeys Mix Magic*) which is great for me to see as I know plenty of Disney friends who have been to DLR with not a whole lot happening not even a parade which is shocking to me considering that parades are a daily occurance here in DLP. Although the calendars still do not show any of the new entertainment (despite starting Jan 18 and Jan 25 respectively)

I am very excited about the food as DLP food can be lacking especially with snacks. Mickey waffles, sundaes, dole whips are high on my list. I am tempted by the beignets and a monte cristo but I don't like ham! I just would like to spend some time in New Orleans Square (because it looks SO beautiful)

What are your food reccomendations ( I see there will be some special Valentine's Day food!!)

*Is it just me or does Mickey's Mix Magic sound awkward to say - as a European I would say Mickey's Magic Mix sounds 10000 times better! /end English teacher rant

Last edited:
We're going Feb 36 - Mar 7th :) This will be our foster son's second trip and we've timed it in such a way that we may get "the call" that he is legally ours during the middle of our trip!

WDW vets making our first Disneyland visit Feb 18 - 24. Staying at the Tropicana Inn & Suites.

Well, I thought my trip was going to be in February! We decided to move to March to attend the after hours event on the 7th. I shall miss you all... Happy trip planning!

Yes I am intending on bringing lots of park maps from DLP as well as some special treats (like DLP specific pins) to give the CMs I meet along the way my own sprinkle of pixie dust (if you see me say hi and you can have some too - I’ll be wearing DLP specific merch including spirit jerseys etc)

DLPs castle is a sight to behold and I hope you’ll get to see it one day too it is by FAR my favorite one!

Anyway I have done some research on previous years and splash is only ever open in February after a very lengthy refurbishment the year prior - and with Grizly River Runndown for refurb in DCA I’m hoping to be in luck...

But if not there is so much to see and do (AND EAT) that maybe it’s a good thing it’ll be closed because I would probably just spend a day riding it!

I’m excited to see the valentines celebrations I’m just wondering if crowds will really be as busy as crowd calendars are predicting?

It would be amazing to get a DLP map from you! My DD7 is obsessed with it and watches ride videos etc, she is particularly interested in the Haunted Mansion version:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter