• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

family of five, hotel royal plaza or all stars?

kimbril

Earning My Ears
We are struggling with the decision as to where to stay on our upcoming trip in late January. We have reservations for all-star movies at the 59.00 rate, but with five people (kids ages 9, 11, and 15) we must have two rooms. I noticed on the mousesavers web site, that the hotel royal plaza has extended its discount rate to include our time period, and they can accomodate five people in one room. Depending on which level of room we booked, we could save 30.00-50.00 a night with their special! Not counting the fact that two of our children eat free if we use their on-site resturaunt. So, does anyone have some imput for us? How do the pros and cons weigh out? Is the bus service to downtown disney as frequent as that to the regular disney resorts? How is the food at the Plaza's resturaunt? I hate to lose the privacy of two rooms, and two bathrooms, but the savings would be substantial. Any opinions from someone who has used the Royal Plaza?

Kimbril

This is a review I found at the mousesavers.com website regarding the Hotel Royal Plaza:

Hotel Royal Plaza - My choice for best buy at Downtown Disney. This hotel tends to be overlooked because it doesn't have a "name brand" behind it, but it's really an exceptionally nice property. The Hotel Royal Plaza caters to a significant number of business travelers but is small (fewer than 400 rooms) and does not have a "convention" atmosphere. Families would be very comfortable here. The hotel has an attractive pastel-toned lobby with extensive ceramic tile flooring and an upscale appearance. The rooms have two double beds or a king bed, plus a loveseat that makes into a single bed, so they accommodate up to five people. Rooms in the wings (also called lanai rooms) have balconies with two chairs and a small cocktail table, or a private patio on the ground floor. Rooms in the tower are slightly larger and have upgraded bathrooms, with small walk-out balconies. The Giraffe Diner, a very reasonably priced full-service restaurant, serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and stays open late, plus kids eat free (12 and under) when accompanied by an adult -- at every meal! I ate lunch there -- it's standard American fare and the quality of the food is good. Room service is available and offers extended hours. There is a bar in the lobby, and seasonally another bar open by the very clean and pleasant heated pool. A whirlpool spa, four lighted tennis courts and a workout room add to the amenities. For kids there is a game room. There is valet parking and free self-parking. The property seems immaculately well-kept and fresh-looking throughout. Participates in the Surprise Mornings program. Rates are very reasonable, making this an excellent alternative to the Disney Moderate resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter