• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Expelling child with ADHD

I asked C&G'sMama to post the results here but she was off to work the time. I tossed all but one of our messages so here is the gist of what happened. The kid will get the 1:1 and the mother won basically.

My brain is on dinner time so that is all I remember is that the mom did win.

:cheer2: :grouphug: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

I asked C&G'sMama to post the results here but she was off to work the time. I tossed all but one of our messages so here is the gist of what happened. The kid will get the 1:1 and the mother won basically.

My brain is on dinner time so that is all I remember is that the mom did win.

:cheer2: :grouphug: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

Church Lady - Okay, Okay, I'm posting, I'm posting:)

As church lady said she has gone back to school. She has a 1:1 aide and they are slowly reintroducing her to the classroom. This is what I would have expected them to do in the first place. At this particular school we have a lot of kids with behavior and academic problems, it has to do with the district we live in, so it is not unusual for them to come up with alternative solutions. One year there was a group of 4 or 5th graders that were struggling academically and with behavior. They set up a special class for them in 6th grade with a teacher and a social worker. They all did beatifully. They have just set up a third 3rd grade class for 6 third graders who are struggling. As this is a charter school they can do things outside the box and usually do. The ball was dropped in a couple of places by the administration which is why the whole situation got to the point it did. So again, thank you all for your comments, concerns etc.

I am glad to hear she is back on track and she is getting the help she needs. Hopefully, she will overcome the emotional stigma of almost being kicked out of school by adults who didn't care enough to help. This battle that your friend fought will help other kids not have to experience that now that the administration is made accountable.

Ok you can have your fudge, now.

I have seen people here and elsewhere ask for help or introduce a story. I wonder if that person had a fun trip or did they my suggestion help. It seems 90% of the time you never hear the ending. A lot of people were praying and rooting for that kid and I for one was elated that she is getting the proper help. As I say I and my mother are the products of undiagnosed disorders and stuff plus we never got one on one classes, therarpy or counseling like we should of. So for me I am elated that another person will not end up like us.

Yes, I withheld her chocolates, lol. I would be a mean momma lol.:lmao:
It is so good to hear this news. pixiedust: :grouphug: :cheer2: pixiedust:

i feel for your friend-we've had the same situation with ds (diagnosed with adhd at 3, currently just shy of 11).

since you and your partner is supporting her in this i want to share something you might want to keep in mind that we encountered when we were considering sending ds to a public school (the issue kept us retaining him at his current private). ds like a good population of adhd kids is very bright and while his 'output' of traditional schoolwork (assignments, homework, tests) may not reflect it he absorbs and retains everything. when we had ds evaluated for services in the public schools they looked to what he knew and could demonstrate (and this was the big issue of contention) his knowlege of as compared to the educational standards for a child his age/grade. now ds can talk about any subject he's learned-conversationaly he's a whiz. the schools used a variety of methods to extract his skills/level. they used timed written test (bombed out), non timed printed worksheets (did'nt hold his interest so he did'nt complete them) AND a verbal assessment (WE HAVE A WINNER). VERBALY ds could answer any question put to him (my kiddo hates to write "too boring" so he's taught himself to do even complex math in his head). based on the verbals-ds was not shown to have any educational special needs.

the issue then came up regarding his small motor skills (hates to write, has small motor skill issues which make it difficult, tedious and time consuming but it can be done-just takes MUCH longer than the average person). we were told he would qualify for services in this area-but the manner of services he was offered, in our opinion would be far more detrimental to his development. rather than work with him on his small motor skills or (as his current school does) create an accommodation (more type written than handwritten, require handwritten when necessary-spelling tests, math but eliminate huge writing activities wherein the goal of the lesson can be acheived in another way-like instead of writing 20 spelling words 10 times each to memorize he can use flash cards to memorize) they (in our opinion) wanted to take the easiest way out for themselves (those it seemed insanely cost ineffective)-provide him with a full time scribe or a pc with voice reccognition software:faint: at a 3rd grade level they wanted to facilitate him not only not improving his writing, but totaly give up (and b.t.w.-2 years later with the accommodations mentioned-he's still slow, but he produces more in a shorter period of time and has very legible handwriting:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 ).

long story i know-but the point is, keep on top of what accommodations are being offered/provided. what a school offers/provides may technicaly be right, but it might not be the only option-and the school may be looking at what is easiest for them in the here/now with little regard for how it can impact a child down the line. as i said before-adhd kids can be extreemly bright, and i've known some to have a one on one aide for the purpose of behaviour/attentiveness who have figured out pretty quickly that their having that aide/one on one "helper" was a direct result of their misbehaving. realizing this the kids have figured out that negative behaviour can in reality have a positive consequence such that they get an entirely unintentional education in using their negative behaviour as a manipulation tool.

i'll keep your friend in my prayers-take care.

i feel for your friend-we've had the same situation with ds (diagnosed with adhd at 3, currently just shy of 11).

ds like a good population of adhd kids is very bright and while his 'output' of traditional schoolwork (assignments, homework, tests) may not reflect it he absorbs and retains everything. VERBALY ds could answer any question put to him (my kiddo hates to write "too boring" so he's taught himself to do even complex math in his head). based on the verbals-ds was not shown to have any educational special needs.

the issue then came up regarding his small motor skills (hates to write, has small motor skill issues which make it difficult, tedious and time consuming but it can be done-just takes MUCH longer than the average person). we were told he would qualify for services in this area-but the manner of services he was offered, in our opinion would be far more detrimental to his development. rather than work with him on his small motor skills or (as his current school does) create an accommodation (more type written than handwritten, require handwritten when necessary-spelling tests, math but eliminate huge writing activities wherein the goal of the lesson can be acheived in another way-like instead of writing 20 spelling words 10 times each to memorize he can use flash cards to memorize) they (in our opinion) wanted to take the easiest way out for themselves (those it seemed insanely cost ineffective)-provide him with a full time scribe or a pc with voice reccognition software:faint: at a 3rd grade level they wanted to facilitate him not only not improving his writing, but totaly give up (and b.t.w.-2 years later with the accommodations mentioned-he's still slow, but he produces more in a shorter period of time and has very legible handwriting:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 ).
Thank you. Your DS sounds a lot like our DS. He is 5 and is diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome. The hating to write, doing things in his head etc. Our school is a charter school so they have more leeway than a public school. In the district we are in now our friends daughter would not be getting this help. And if our son wasn't in the charter school, he'd be home schooled or we'd move to one of our suburban districts with good programs for kids with ASD. We have had the issue where DS was being marked down for things like not being fluent when he reads. He reads at a 4th grade level (and comprehends) but was being penalized because he was stopping to explain things and wasn't pausing properly. These things go along with ASD. We are also looking at getting assistive technology in is IEP. While we continue to work on his handwriting we want him to be able to get the thoughts out of his head and the writing frustrates him so much we don't want that to hold him back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter