Everything You Need To Know About Discount Codes

Yes. They changed the name last year.
I remember chatting with you the other night while we waited for FD or the next morning when it crashed!!! So I have a question maybe you can help with. I got the UOC today for % off the room. My family has 3 rooms with 6 adults & 15,12,4 yrs old. we were booked in POP before FD but had to switch to ASSp b/c of availability. Now I have the pin and both FD & discount are offered. But I am having a hard time figuring which is the best offer for us. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I remember chatting with you the other night while we waited for FD or the next morning when it crashed!!! So I have a question maybe you can help with. I got the UOC today for % off the room. My family has 3 rooms with 6 adults & 15,12,4 yrs old. we were booked in POP before FD but had to switch to ASSp b/c of availability. Now I have the pin and both FD & discount are offered. But I am having a hard time figuring which is the best offer for us. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
With that many people, FD is going to most likely be a much great savings. The way to see which is better is to price out the a package with the room discount and subtract it from the same package at full price. If the savings is enough to feed all of you, take the room discount, but I really don't think it will even come close. You might be able get back into Pop with free dining with the UOC code, though.

thanks. I was hoping we could switch back. No one in my family really likes sports and we like Pop's dedicated bus.

Sorry if this has been asked. I currently have a reservation with UOC, but we may need to change our dates...would they let me carry over that code? For reference, we are currently booked for off-peak time in early December and would move to off-peak time in late February or early March, in case that matters...

Sorry if this has been asked. I currently have a reservation with UOC, but we may need to change our dates...would they let me carry over that code? For reference, we are currently booked for off-peak time in early December and would move to off-peak time in late February or early March, in case that matters...
May I ask which code that is? Is is the 25% off?

To be honest i don't know specifically..I only found out about the code when I called to book. But I think it was 30% off room since the deal I got was a little better than the regular room discount for that time.

As luck would have it, I actually received in the mail today a UOC for the time we were thinking about switching too, so I guess this question is moot now...but I'm still curious, would be good to know for the future, or if anyone else was wondering the same thing.

To be honest i don't know specifically..I only found out about the code when I called to book. But I think it was 30% off room since the deal I got was a little better than the regular room discount for that time.

As luck would have it, I actually received in the mail today a UOC for the time we were thinking about switching too, so I guess this question is moot now...but I'm still curious, would be good to know for the future, or if anyone else was wondering the same thing.
That must be the same code my sister got when she called. I had already booked our trip but apparently, there was no pin code attached to my name. The CM suggested I have my sister call to see if she had one and sure enough, where we had the 25%, we figure we got at least 30.

Curious to know if we are booked at the CR garden wing and a discount comes out for May 2016 what the odds are of us being able to apply it to that room and hotel? Or am I going to have to switch hotels to use a discount?

Curious to know if we are booked at the CR garden wing and a discount comes out for May 2016 what the odds are of us being able to apply it to that room and hotel? Or am I going to have to switch hotels to use a discount?

Anything is possible. We are waiting for discounts as well. Booked to go in July, but willing to change time and resort (within Moderate range) for a better price.

Anything is possible. We are waiting for discounts as well. Booked to go in July, but willing to change time and resort (within Moderate range) for a better price.

I'm fine with changing resorts for a better price. Anything to save some $ I'm all for!

I'm fine with changing resorts for a better price. Anything to save some $ I'm all for!

In '13 we were able to upgrade from AOA LM room to CSR for a flat $200 increase. It was Sooooo worth it as the AOA LM rooms were too new for discounts at that time. SO yes we paid more, but queen size beds alone made it well worth the $200.

Every January it begins -- the CODE frenzy for discounts for the upcoming year. There's a few things to know about how Disney parcels out discount and codes and I've tried to gather it all up in one place.

Code Terms 101

PIN - a numerical sequence that gives you access to a discount offer "code"

CODE - a three letter combination that the agent uses to book a discount offer

PIN-CODE - a three letter combination that requires the agent to enter a PIN to complete the booking process

The terminology sucks. I'd like to create new terms that make sense to everyone here and force everyone to use them. But that ain't going to happen.

If you're still confused think of it like this.

The PIN number you receive in the mail or email -- is like a password for the agent to 'unlock' your special offer code.

If you receive a PIN-offer by email or postal mail. You will have a series of numbers. That is what you give to the agent on the phone. THEY will take care of finding the right 3 letter code that goes with that PIN-offer. You needn't worry about that. These PIN codes are non-transferable.

How do these codes work and where do I find them? Are the Disney issued or from outside sources??

Disney has 'discount codes' for different reasons.. to induce guests to visit their resort properties at various times for various reasons throughout the year. Generally speaking -- they are issued for lower-traffic times of year to fill up rooms in the resort. Disney sometimes issues special codes for AAA packages. But it is still Disney that controls the codes.

There are two types of codes. General public. And codes associated with your name only, which are sometimes referred to as 'PIN-CODES' or PINS.

General public codes can be used by anyone and are listed on this site at DISCOUNTS (http://www.wdwinfo.com/discounts/discounts-current.htm#hm-currdiscounts-right).

For absolute clarity. A PIN-CODE is still three lettters and it is most easily defined as a code that requires a PIN. Asking someone to send you their PIN code will do you no good. They are not transferable from person to person. So please don't ask.

General public codes are also usually noted on the Disney site itself but can be harder to find if you don't know where to look there. General public codes do not require a PIN.

PIN-Codes can be used by the recipient family and nobody else. They are not transferable. Some folks have reported success in using cards that arrived at their address in other peoples names. The rule seems to be if you live at the address on the offer.. you're good. Sharing a pin code is a big no-no and generally will result in the second person being told they are not eligible for the discount.

Do they work for packages or single/seperate things/costs?

So far we've seen codes that include free dining, for 20, 30 or 40% off selected hotel rooms.. and one code that included a free parkhopping & waterparks fun n more upgrade to your base tickets.

A 15, 20, 25 ,30 or 40% off room-only code .. sometimes can be used with a package.. But when you do so, you are still only getting (x)% off the room portion of your package costs. The Tickets, dining plan and any other optional add-ons are at the normal rate unless your offer explicitly says otherwise.

At any given point in time there may be several codes that may apply to your vacation. Pick one. You can only use one discount code per reservation. Choose wisely. :)

How Do I Get "On The List" To Get A Pin Offer?

How people get selected for to receive email/postcard offers is a source of never-ending debate on these boards.

Signing up at the WDW website and giving them your email address at least gets you in the running. Ordering the vacation planning DVD does the same. Guests who have stayed at Disney resorts in the past are also key targets for future discount offers.

The theories as to how people are selected to receive an email or postcard are like belly-buttons, we all have one.

If you get lucky, you may get an email or a postcard from Disney. That email or postcard may contain a PIN (a series of numbers).. or a general public code (usually 3 letters).

At the end of the day - none of us know for sure how the selection process is done. My best guess after watching this for a couple of years now, is that it is purely random.

There is no guarantee if you do any of those things you'll get one. You could go to Disney once or once every month.. and you may or may not get a code.

How Do I Know If I Got A Code

Generally speaking an email or postcard to one of the addresses Disney has on file for you is your notification. If you've moved or you're just wondering if perhaps you have received a code but didn't know about it - you USED TO BE ABLE TO CALL the Disney Reservation Center 1-407-W-DISNEY and ask for them to see if you have a code associated with your name/address in the reservations system. They do not permit this any longer. Sorry, too many people were taking up agent's time with the "Do I have a code question" -- so they discontinued this.

[ EDIT : 2011 : It seems if they aren't too busy on the phones they will do this again. ]

... and If I do get a code, to whom do I give it to

If you're booking with a PIN from your email / postcard or with a general public code.. you tell the reservation agent at Disney reservations center. "I have a code .." and then identify if you have a PIN associated-code.. or a three letter offer code.

The postcard or email will tell you when it's good for .. and what benefits it may convey.

All general public codes will be posted on this site @ DISCOUNTS (http://www.wdwinfo.com/discounts/discounts-current.htm#hm-currdiscounts-right). .. along with the info about what benefits it may convey.

When you are giving them the code on the phone, if it is a three letter code offer.. say an example word for each letter. So many of the letters in the alphabet sound the same.. C,D,E,G,P,S,T,Z.. and of course Disney uses LOTS of those letters in their codes. Grrr...

Don't Post Any Codes to the Board without Moderator Approval

Before you post any three letter code to the boards, please be sure to check with one of the Resorts Board Moderators : CanadianGuy or Lynn M

Posting a non-public code is against the DIS Board Posting Guidelines

Hope this helps. Any questions - feel free to post 'em here.

Knox
Can

After reading through this thread I'm wondering if everyone thinks it's worth it for me to call CRO and check for a PIN code attached to my name? Getting twitchy waiting for Disney to release discounts for July that would work with our trip plans. Any thoughts are very welcome. :)

I received an offer in the mail this week. Before I had a chance to call to see if it would save me money over my current reservation discount, my husband threw it away thinking it was moot since we have already paid for our upcoming trip (and trash was picked up this morning). Am I totally out of luck now, or will they have the information in my file if I call?

I received an offer in the mail this week. Before I had a chance to call to see if it would save me money over my current reservation discount, my husband threw it away thinking it was moot since we have already paid for our upcoming trip (and trash was picked up this morning). Am I totally out of luck now, or will they have the information in my file if I call?
They'll have it. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!