Every Mile is a Miracle

But omg, this sentence terrifies me a little. Hahaha. Only 2 more races until we are locked in. Well, I mean you are locked in and I am a locked in hopeful.

Okay. So. This is where Sarah puts on her thinking/"if everyone in the world had unlimited money and vacation time" cap.
Here is when you should be traveling to NY over the next few months:
August 25th - Percy Sutton Harlem 5K Run (1)
September 9th - New Balance 5th Avenue Mile (2)
October 6th - Grete's Great Gallop (10K) (3)
October 14th - Staten Island Half (4) - bonus, you get to take the pictures/video of me ringing the 9+1 bell (yes, there's a bell)
October 28th - Poland Spring Marathon Kickoff (5M) (5)
November 2nd - Marathon Expo First Shift Number Pickup (5+1) (other option is to do a Saturday expo shift, but then we wouldn't be volunteering together)
November 3rd - Abbott Dash to the Finish Line 5K (6+1) - you can also stay until the next day and help @Keels cheer for @mbwhitti
November 18th - Race to Deliver 4M (7+1)
December 1st - Jingle Bell Jog (5K) or December 8th - Ted Corbitt 15K (8+1) (you get a choice here! Or you could do both of these and remove one of the ones from above ... just not the Staten Island Half because I'm doing that one)
December 31st - Midnight Run (9+1) - If I'm living in Manhattan by then I'm doing this one, which is why it's required.

There you go. I just planned your travel for the rest of the year and guaranteed you a spot in next year's marathon. Done.

EDIT: Also, any of the above races that I'm not already signed up for that are on Sunday (basically the marathon kickoff and race to deliver), if you come do them, I will sign up.

Last edited:
Okay. So. This is where Sarah puts on her thinking/"if everyone in the world had unlimited money and vacation time" cap.
Here is when you should be traveling to NY over the next few months:
August 25th - Percy Sutton Harlem 5K Run (1)
September 9th - New Balance 5th Avenue Mile (2)
October 6th - Grete's Great Gallop (10K) (3)
October 14th - Staten Island Half (4) - bonus, you get to take the pictures/video of me ringing the 9+1 bell (yes, there's a bell)
October 28th - Poland Spring Marathon Kickoff (5M) (5)
November 2nd - Marathon Expo First Shift Number Pickup (5+1) (other option is to do a Saturday expo shift, but then we wouldn't be volunteering together)
November 3rd - Abbott Dash to the Finish Line 5K (6+1) - you can also stay until the next day and help @Keels cheer for @mbwhitti
November 18th - Race to Deliver 4M (7+1)
December 1st - Jingle Bell Jog (5K) or December 8th - Ted Corbitt 15K (8+1) (you get a choice here! Or you could do both of these and remove one of the ones from above ... just not the Staten Island Half because I'm doing that one)
December 31st - Midnight Run (9+1) - If I'm living in Manhattan by then I'm doing this one, which is why it's required.

There you go. I just planned your travel for the rest of the year and guaranteed you a spot in next year's marathon. Done.

EDIT: Also, any of the above races that I'm not already signed up for that are on Sunday (basically the marathon kickoff and race to deliver), if you come do them, I will sign up.
How much pizza is involved in this plan?

Also, I'm super impressed. If money was no object I would totally do this. Haha.

How much pizza is involved in this plan?

Well, there's 9 races, and at least two slices per race, probably more, so ... a lot.

I wish I had thought of this at the beginning of the year. There are a few weekends that have two races, so there are ways to do it with fewer trips. But all of those weekends have passed. (But also, I've been going back reading the early days of my running/coffee/life journal and earlier in the year we hadn't become marathon buddies yet and if I had proposed this plan in January it would have been super awkward.)

October 28th - Moland Spring Marathon Kickoff (5M) (5)
I think you mistyped the true Seinfeld name of that race. In related Seinfeld news, I really need to get back to reading War, What Is It Good For? by Lev Tolstoi (the Russian speaking part of my brain has to properly spell his name in the original Russian and transliterate it back to English).

I think before I leave for marathon weekend, I'll watch the epic Seinfeld race episode. Such a great finish. Such a great show overall.

I have good news: I ran all of my scheduled miles last week and I feel amazing because of it!
I will do a training write up later tonight, but until then, here are some random thoughts.

1. Today sucks. Super bad. I just want it to end.

2. Last week I snagged another pair of my current favorite running shoes I own -- the Rock N Roll Marathon Series Brooks Launch 5 Tie Dyes because I love them and my current ones have about 400 miles on them. They had just restocked them and I figured, why not?

3. I mentioned this on the Running board, but I figured I should talk about it more here and get some opinions. In 2 weeks, my husband and I and a bunch of friends are meeting up in Flagstaff, Arizona for the weekend to just hang out in a cabin. We do a get together every year, it's pretty awesome. During this weekend there is a 15k trail race that is about 45 minutes away from the cabin, which is close enough for me to consider it. I have to run 8 miles on the day it is going on anyway, so I may as well do it during a race and get a medal and a free beer out of it, right? I wouldn't really be racing it, I would still do my planned pace, plus the elevation is gonna get me and it would be my first trail run. Someone convince me to just sign up. My husband is already like, goooo. My only concern is a) drinking too much the night before and b) missing out on some friend time in the morning because I wouldn't get back until probably 10:30am. Granted, I don't think people would be up and doing much by then anyway. Haha.

4. Speaking of races, only 34 days until my Half Marathon! This weekend I did a 9 miler and was feeling pretty good. When I was done, I did some quick math in my melon and realized that as long as I don't get injured or anything, I am definitely going to PR this Half in September. I don't have a doubt in my mind about that and that actually made me feel really good. I need that confidence boost. So now I have one main goal and two sub goals. And as long as I hit at least one of them, I will be happy!

5. I am throwing around the idea of doing the Rock N Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon this November. We are planning on being up there that weekend anyway, so why not? But their races are so expensive, it's getting to be annoying. But running the Strip at night sounds like so much fun and the medals are pretty awesome.

6. Orrrr, I can go to Vegas the weekend before and do a re-do on that 10k that I did in May that was all uphill and kicked my butt....

7. Basically I want more medals from races. January can't come quick enough, haha.

Upon further review, I found a diet that did this for two weeks and now I'm PRETTY sure I'm going to do it myself.
My husband smoked me a bunch of tri-tip and then left for a few days, making this diet even more possible. But I’m adding cheese.

4. Speaking of races, only 34 days until my Half Marathon! This weekend I did a 9 miler and was feeling pretty good. When I was done, I did some quick math in my melon and realized that as long as I don't get injured or anything, I am definitely going to PR this Half in September. I don't have a doubt in my mind about that and that actually made me feel really good. I need that confidence boost. So now I have one main goal and two sub goals. And as long as I hit at least one of them, I will be happy!

Yay! This is awesome! I'm so excited to see you grab that shiny new PR!

5. I am throwing around the idea of doing the Rock N Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon this November. We are planning on being up there that weekend anyway, so why not? But their races are so expensive, it's getting to be annoying. But running the Strip at night sounds like so much fun and the medals are pretty awesome.

So ... if they still have that option where you can pay extra for race-day packet pickup, I could possibly do this one without missing any work (although that would mean hustling to the airport pretty soon after the race) ...
(My parents would probably attempt to disown me for travelling to Vegas for less than a day, though)

7. Basically I want more medals from races. January can't come quick enough, haha.

You should come to NY in October to run the Staten Island Half. There's a medal.

Basically I want more medals from races. January can't come quick enough, haha.
Pesky medals always tempting us to do more races. I went from doing no 2018 races after Dark Side except for the virtual shorts 5K Incredibles races to doing the 60 miles for 60 years San Francisco Giants challenge to signing up for the San Francisco Giant race in September as a proof of time race for Dopey. Except I'll need to shave about 35-40 minutes off my PR to get a usable proof of time.

Someone convince me to just sign up.
Dopey practice. Dopey practice. Dopey practice.

I am throwing around the idea of doing the Rock N Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon this November. We are planning on being up there that weekend anyway, so why not? But their races are so expensive, it's getting to be annoying. But running the Strip at night sounds like so much fun and the medals are pretty awesome.
While the upcoming San Francisco Giant Race will be my first non runDisney event, I'm a huge proponent of running races in areas that sound fun to you. Makes for a more interesting experience.

You should come to NY in October to run the Staten Island Half. There's a medal.
You have me checking flights to NYC now. How is this race only $75?! runDisney really set those race price expectations high so anytime a Half is under $100 I am like "Wow that is cheap..." Hahaha.

You have me checking flights to NYC now. How is this race only $75?! runDisney really set those race price expectations high so anytime a Half is under $100 I am like "Wow that is cheap..." Hahaha.

Going rate for a half around here is anywhere from $60-$80, depending on the race. Compared to runDisney, it's like running for free.
Of course, when you see Staten Island, you'll probably think that's too much, since it's a garbage dump (literally ... it's all landfill).
Also ... no Vacation Genie at this one :(. I am hoping they bring out the mascot from the Staten Island Yankees, but I'm not really expecting it.

I have good news: I ran all of my scheduled miles last week and I feel amazing because of it!
I will do a training write up later tonight, but until then, here are some random thoughts.

1. Today sucks. Super bad. I just want it to end.

2. Last week I snagged another pair of my current favorite running shoes I own -- the Rock N Roll Marathon Series Brooks Launch 5 Tie Dyes because I love them and my current ones have about 400 miles on them. They had just restocked them and I figured, why not?

3. I mentioned this on the Running board, but I figured I should talk about it more here and get some opinions. In 2 weeks, my husband and I and a bunch of friends are meeting up in Flagstaff, Arizona for the weekend to just hang out in a cabin. We do a get together every year, it's pretty awesome. During this weekend there is a 15k trail race that is about 45 minutes away from the cabin, which is close enough for me to consider it. I have to run 8 miles on the day it is going on anyway, so I may as well do it during a race and get a medal and a free beer out of it, right? I wouldn't really be racing it, I would still do my planned pace, plus the elevation is gonna get me and it would be my first trail run. Someone convince me to just sign up. My husband is already like, goooo. My only concern is a) drinking too much the night before and b) missing out on some friend time in the morning because I wouldn't get back until probably 10:30am. Granted, I don't think people would be up and doing much by then anyway. Haha.

6. Orrrr, I can go to Vegas the weekend before and do a re-do on that 10k that I did in May that was all uphill and kicked my butt....

1. I hope the rest of the day was better!

2. I like the tie dye shoes. I was strong and resisted buying them.

3. Terrain of the trail run? Any tripping hazards that could result in an injury that will affect #4???

4. Isn’t it amazing how one really good run can boost confidence in meeting a race goal???

5. RnR Las Vegas is on my bucket list! Someday.....

6. That’s a good option too. You have unfinished business with that course.

7. More bling is always a good thing :cool1:

So ... if they still have that option where you can pay extra for race-day packet pickup, I could possibly do this one without missing any work (although that would mean hustling to the airport pretty soon after the race) ...
(My parents would probably attempt to disown me for travelling to Vegas for less than a day, though)
I know that @KSellers88 said she would do RnR Vegas with me one day, and @Bree just said she wants to do it one day. Sounds like we can make a meet up happen one of these years!!! But yes, they do have race-day packet pick-up..... just sayin.... Hahaha.

Pesky medals always tempting us to do more races. I went from doing no 2018 races after Dark Side except for the virtual shorts 5K Incredibles races to doing the 60 miles for 60 years San Francisco Giants challenge to signing up for the San Francisco Giant race in September as a proof of time race for Dopey. Except I'll need to shave about 35-40 minutes off my PR to get a usable proof of time.
That 60 miles for 60 years medal is AMAZING though. If I was a Giants fan I would do it. Haha.

Dopey practice. Dopey practice. Dopey practice.
Truuuuuuue but also 8000+ feet of elevation, which thankfully, WDW doesn't have. Hahahaha.

While the upcoming San Francisco Giant Race will be my first non runDisney event, I'm a huge proponent of running races in areas that sound fun to you. Makes for a more interesting experience.
Yup. I lived in Vegas for 5 years so it has a little place in my heart. Plus, free lodging with my parents. I will probably end up running this one...

1. I hope the rest of the day was better!

2. I like the tie dye shoes. I was strong and resisted buying them.

3. Terrain of the trail run? Any tripping hazards that could result in an injury that will affect #4???

4. Isn’t it amazing how one really good run can boost confidence in meeting a race goal???

5. RnR Las Vegas is on my bucket list! Someday.....

6. That’s a good option too. You have unfinished business with that course.

7. More bling is always a good thing :cool1:
1. I survived the day and ended it with Prosecco.

2. You have some great willpower!

3. I have literally been scouring the internet for pictures of the course or bloggers who posted about it to no avail. What I did find is that yes, it's on a mountain, there are some ups and downs, but that the course was gorgeous. I wouldn't be full out racing it so I think if I take my time and just enjoy it, I should be okay.

4. YUP.

5. Let me know when and I will join you!!!

6. Hahahahaha, I didn't even think of it that way.

7. Sure is!

Count me in for RnR Vegas too! It will probably have to be a couple years out for me- we were just in Vegas last winter, but it sounds so fun!

I think the trail race sounds really cool- I'll be excited to hear about it if you do it!

That 60 miles for 60 years medal is AMAZING though. If I was a Giants fan I would do it. Haha.
They really did a nice job with that medal. Even my little sister who is not a medal person registered for it, but she is a Giants fan. I'm almost surprised my youngest brother didn't register for it. In my case, I think the 60 miles for 60 years had the desired effect for them. It wound up causing me to register for the Giant race even though I had not planned on running it.

Truuuuuuue but also 8000+ feet of elevation, which thankfully, WDW doesn't have. Hahahaha.
All the more reason to call it Dopey practice.

W12DBP3 Weekly Training Report
Hey, look! I ran (almost) all of my scheduled miles this week! YAY! I feel great. I feel focused. I feel like I am going to be ready. I also finally booked my flight and hotel for my race in a month, so that definitely helped with the stress. I am not going to lie, the thought of deferring this race came through my mind more than once. But now, I am locked in and ready to do this thing.

Monday 8/6: Rest day & Bay's first day of school! <3

51462FF4-B147-497F-B0AF-D3FF15B0577A.JPG

Tuesday 8/7: Whew, after the weekend we had in California, this run felt sluggish.
Plan: 5 mi @ EA (11:45)
Actual: 5 mi @ 11:36
Splits: 11:46, 11:18, 12:01, 11:38, 11:15

IMG_7532.jpg

Wednesday 8/8: The plus side to all this humidity is that I will be ready to race in it if I have to in DC next month. The downside to all this humidity is eff all this humidity. :crazy2: I had to take my shirt off for the last mile because it was just soaked and stuck to me. Yuck.
Plan: 5 mi @ EB (10:58)
Actual: 5.01 @ 10:59
Splits: 10:37, 10:01, 11:28, 12:03, 10:46

zxBrcIutE2cAIhhNIiTC6jKPYZ0l0ZPytQpjYbM4mW4-2048x1536.jpg

Thursday 8/9: After the slacking I have been doing, I needed this wake up call of "hey your fitness level kind of dropped because you were a slacker, stop it" and that was this tempo run. The T&D was at 150 and I probably should have adjusted because I could only hold my tempo pace for about 2 miles. Miles 3 & 4 were tough. Plus, I kind of slept in so I cut my cool down short. But this tempo is my race tempo and if I am not able to power through this I am not hitting my goal. Focus, Jenna, focussss.
Plan: 1 mi @ WU (12:29) + 4 mi @ HM Tempo (9:24) + 1 mi @ CD (12:29)
Actual: 1 mi @ 10:58 + 4 mi @ 9:47 + .59 @ 12:19
Splits: 10:58, 9:22, 9:38, 10:21, 9:58, 12:19

Friday 8/10: Rest day but @OldSlowGoofyGuy kept talking about how he was going to the pool this week, so I went to the pool this week too! I haven't been since May and I really missed it. Going to try to make this an every Friday event.
Actual: 100 SKPS, 100 F/B, 4x100 Sprint Ladder, 200 F/B, 100 CD = 1200 yds

Saturday 8/11: We finally got some relief from the humidity and it felt SO NICE. Legs felt great, fatigue kicked in during the last few miles and I walked a bit. Ran to breakfast to meet the family, so I had my eye on the breakfast sandwich prize I was going to eat. Also, I had my husband bring me a shirt to change out of so I didn't smell too terrible while at breakfast.
Plan: 7 mi @ EB (10:58)
Actual: 7.01 @ 10:52
Splits: 10:34, 10:21, 10:25, 10:31, 10:46, 12:08, 11:21

Siiiiiiigh...
IMG_7590.jpg

Sunday 8/12: Hello first Long Run in a LONG TIME. The humidity was back up from yesterday and I wasn't too thrilled about it. I left a little later than I wanted, but still early enough. The sun started baking me towards the end. I was suppose to focus on nutrition, so I had a banana with peanut butter before the run with some water and nuun. At mile 5, I stopped and refilled my water and took a gu gel. I made sure to stay hydrated the whole run and walked if I felt too over heated. I am pretty proud of this workout, TBH.
Plan: 9 mi @ LR (10:35)
Actual: 9.01 @ 10:58
Splits: 10:48, 10:36, 10:02, 10:22, 10:28, 10:35, 12:23, 12:29, 10:47

Hot. Humid. No cloud coverage.
IMG_7596.JPG

Well deserved margarita after this week's workouts!
IMG_7598.jpg

This week is already starting off rough. Monday sucked. And today my husband was supposed to be home this afternoon but he is still down in Phoenix. I have 5 miles to do today still and then a speed workout tomorrow morning. I hope that if I have to get these 5 miles in later than planned it won't mess up my speed workout tomorrow. Legs don't fail me now.

Thanks for all the feedback about my ramblings above. I am about 90% sure I am just gonna do this trail run. And Sarah has been looking at flights to NYC for this Staten Island Half in October. Yo to the Lo.

Actual: 100 SKPS, 100 F/B, 4x100 Sprint Ladder, 200 F/B, 100 CD = 1200 yds

First: yeah you!

Second: please translate to landlubber terminology.

Third: I'm going to the pool tomorrow to practice my thrashing about. Then it's off to my aunt-in-law's house to hang some pictures. I've been practicing by hitting my thumb with a hammer and not saying bad words.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter