Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Re Lyft and driver promotions - does the passenger know that it’s a driver promotion so they can tip in cash? We much prefer the in-app tip because we don’t like to carry a lot of cash but don’t like to think we’re shorting the driver. Or is it better to tip in cash all the time because we’d never know?
No, with either company, as a rider you would not know whether we are working a promotion or not. And honestly, many drivers don't pay any attention to promotions.

Just do what you prefer to do. In-app tipping is easier, and for business travelers also provides good expense documentation. I personally tip in cash, but that's a personal preference because I want to look the driver in the eye and thank them in a tangible way.

But drivers really appreciate tips, no matter how they are received.

Of course it costs the driver money!
Two drivers each do 20 rides, but make only $120, so they're $80 short. Both drivers made $50 in tips: Driver A got all of their tips IN-APP; Driver B got all of their tips in cash.
Yes, if the rider gives a cash tip, it does. You're original post didn't specify that, so I was comparing in-app tipping to not tipping.

Do Uber and Lyft take a commission on tips made through the app?
No.

But as JimMia said in an earlier post, Lyft sometimes guarantees drivers to receive a certain minimum amount if they complete a set number of rides during a specific time period. Tips made through the app are counted towards that minimum, so the driver may not get the benefit of the tip. In other words, Lyft may decrease the bonus it gives the driver by the amount of the tip.

Sorry for the laziness in advance,
But are there any maps / pictures of where Uber or Lyft can pick up & drop off for every hotel, park, & Disney Springs?

Our WDW trip in January will be the first time using Uber or Lyft. Most of my research is straight from this forum so I thank you folks for all the info.

But are there any maps / pictures of where Uber or Lyft can pick up & drop off for every hotel, park, & Disney Springs?

Our WDW trip in January will be the first time using Uber or Lyft. Most of my research is straight from this forum so I thank you folks for all the info.
There is a pretty comprehensive list in Post #1 of this thread.

Simple list:
  • All hotels: Main lobby
  • All Disney Resorts except CSR, SSR Treehouses, and Ft. Wilderness: Any place a Guest can drive a car
  • All Disney parks except MK: Near the taxi stand
  • MK: TTC behind the taxis (or Contemporary Resort)
  • DS: Strawberry Parking Lot on West Side, or old bus loop behind Disney Days of Christmas at Marketplace
At the parks & TTC, there may be signs indicating "Guest Pickup".

Be in the general area listed above, and monitor the car's location on your phone. When the app says the car has arrived and the car stops moving, make your way to the car's location on the map; or if the car's not close to you, phone or text the driver with your location.

Be in the general area listed above, and monitor the car's location on your phone. When the app says the car has arrived and the car stops moving, make your way to the car's location on the map; or if the car's not close to you, phone or text the driver with your location.
There are two common GPS errors which can make this hit or miss. I'm not sure if drivers see these at WDW, but we get them occasionally here in Miami.
  • All GPS positioning is approximate, and sometimes it can be much more approximate than other times, lol. I've pulled up to riders a number of times and had them tell me the app still showed me 5-7 minutes away, even though it showed my vehicle approaching them and stopping right in front of them. Nothing you can do about this one, except watch the Uber approach on the app as Joel suggested and be ready.
  • The app also shows a "pin" indicating your location. That "pin drop" is not always accurate, but it is the spot on the planet where the GPS is directing the driver -- whether it's really where you are or not. On Sunday, I had a "pin drop" for an airport pickup that showed the rider in the middle of the cargo area (a secure area where I knew they could not be). I realized the mistake, called them, and sure enough they were at Door 1 at the passenger terminal.
    • Thanks to a recent change in the Uber rider app, you can now move your pin if it's incorrectly placed. You just drag it to the correct spot, and the driver app will automatically re-route the driver to the proper pickup location.
    • As Joel mentioned above, you can also either call or text the driver while they are en route to pick you up. That's especially helpful if you're in a big crowd of people, have some special request, need to give them a gate access code, etc.

Hello Everyone!

I had the pleasure of driving some wonderful DisBoards members on property recently and I wanted to take a moment to answer some questions and provide information on how Uber at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, FL works with some FAQ:

1)Are drivers allowed in the parks and resorts for pickup or dropoff?
YES YES YES! For resorts, we can pickup simply by stating we are there for pick up and we get right in. Please wait in front of the lobby entrance. If your resort is not listed below, we may also be able to pick up by your building. Please send a txt because we always assume lobby.

Exceptions:

Coronado: We can pick you up, however you must be waiting at the main lobby entrance upon our arrival. If youre not there, we will be sent to checkin parking and you have to walk over to us. This is the only place we are allowed, however if the gates are open during the day we might be able to get closer to your room.

Caribbean Beach: We can now get in easily. Please wait in front of your building by the loop. Do not wait in the bus stop and be sure your pickup location is accurate since this is a very large resort.At CB, we assume your location is what you pinned on the map ( Barbados, Trinidad, Old Port Royale,etc)

OKW/Saratoga: Assumption is pickup is at the location entered, which may be your building. Do not wait in the bus stop itself.

Dropping guests at resorts is also easy, but you still must be staying there or have a dining reservation.

For Parks, we do not have to pay for drop off or pickup. Again, we simply state we are droping off, or picking up, and we get let right through. Generally speaking, here are the pickup/drop locations for the parks and Disney Springs:

MK: Ticket/Transportation Center, in the parking spaces after the taxi queue. Also: you may choose to walk to the Contemporary and get picked up from there. Drop off at CR does not seem to be any faster but some people do choose to do so.

Epcot: I recommend that you walk to the Boardwalk Inn, and call for a ride from there. (This is a great option if ending your evening by the International Gateway between England and France) We usually sit at the gas station across the street and can have you picked up in a minute or less.

The pickup and drop off area is now located near where the Mears cab pickups are. The area appears to be well signed and barriers put up. Look for the green umbrella. Also, please note that there is now a castmember assigned to this area and your car cannot wait for more than a couple minutes before being asked to leave. Therefore, please wait until you are already in this area before requesting a ride.

Hollywood Studios: We are in the main parking lot, right next to the taxi queue. There will be a white sandwichboard sign for pickup/dropoff.

Animal Kingdom: Walk to the left as you exit, towards handicapped parking and the main parking lot. Where the sidewalk meets pavement is where we will be. Youll see the taxi queue on your right about 100 feet up. To your left about a 100 feet will be a white tent, and directly in front of you will be traffic barriers and the first row of handicapped parking.

DTD/Disney Springs:

Westside: Strawberry lot, next to the taxis.

Marketplace: The old bus loop.

Water parks: theres a drop/pickup spot near the entrance so no problems.

Port Canaveral: No problems. However, the rates coming back will be higher than going out. Generally, a family of four or more will find this a savings over the shuttle services. At the port, there are approximately 60 permitted uber drivers so getting a ride back to Orlando(or wherever) is super easy.

Additional Note: We do not pick up or drop off from bus loops, taxi stands, the side of the road/active travel lanes, or other potentially unsafe locations.

2)Are larger vehicles available for my family?
Yes. As of 8/31/15 when I wrote this, UberXL can carry up to 6 passengers. Expect a minivan or large SUV (I drive a white Buick Enclave..if you get me, say you saw this post!). We are also cheaper than taxis on property. Please do NOT try to put more people in the car than are allowed (4 for uber X, 6 for XL). Carrying more passengers than allowed will void the insurance, you could lose you rider account, and the driver could be deactivated.

3)Can uber take me to/from the airport?
Yes.

4)Who drives for uber at WDW? Will I get a CastMember?
Odds are pretty good that you will get a castmember, or former castmember. I also happen to know a guy personally who works at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek and drives UberX. Having said that, Disney is an obvious place for new drivers to go since it's big and there's always alot of traffic so you'll get some of these and it'll be obvious. If you get a driver you really like, go ahead and ask for our number for future rides. If we can accommodate you, we will.

5a)Can I go a long distance such as Cocoa, Tampa,etc?
Yes. Although we ask that you do it earlier in the day/evening, and contact your driver to make sure it's ok. I once had a run to Sarasota from the Yacht Club which picked up at 7pm. It was an hour and a half out, plus an hour and a half for me to get back. So if it had been too much later at night, I would've had to decline.

5b)Can I schedule a longer ride in advance?

Yes, you can. For long rides, Uber seems to be calling drivers to set that up in advance.

6) Are car seats available?
UberX and UberXL now have options including one car seat.

If you have any specific questions about using Uber at WDW, please feel free to reply to this thread and I'll try to keep it updated. I do want to keep this informational, however questions about how the app works, your account, pricing,etc is offtopic and this is not the venue for that.

Have a Magical Day!
Rob
I have never used Uber but will be flying to Sandford and dont want to rent a car for the week. How soon can you order an Uber?

You need to opt out of vigilanthttps://www.viglink.com/opt-out/

Some settings in some browsers does the same thing.
Edited to add vigilink redirects links to vigilink which typically offers shopping alternatives to the actual site posted
It's a new feature of some internet board.

Last edited:
You need to opt out of vigilanthttps://www.viglink.com/opt-out/

Some settings in some browsers does the same thing.
Edited to add vigilink redirects links to vigilink which typically offers shopping alternatives to the actual site posted
It's a new feature of some internet board.

I’ve noticed for some time that links on the DIS boards redirect through vigilink, but the page that opens is generally the one I expect. That was the case with the Uber at SFB link posted above. I’m using Safari on my iPhone.

The internet is a fascinating thing!

I want to Uber from WDW (either a park or Disney Springs) back to MCO next month.

If my flight is at 7pm on a Sunday (17th), when should I be ready to request a pickup? Any advice? I've only been down to WDW twice, once we used DME and once Uber, but never directly MCO to WDW or vice versa.

I had my first Uber experience on Monday. Our driver was horrible. DD scheduled in advance but driver was 10 minutes late showing up. When he opened his trunk to put our luggage in there was a wheelchair so only one suitcase fit, the others had to go in the front seat. The driver then told us he knew a "shortcut" to the airport to get there quicker. He drove down a highway, made a u turn about a mile from one exit and went back to to the exit he missed. He turn off the highway and took roads with lots of traffic. My daughter could see the speedometer which hit 80 mph frequently. He wove in and out of traffic and almost sideswiped numerous vehicles. DD finally told him she was getting car sick just so he would slow down. That didn't work. He did not seem to know where he was going. We only went through one toll booth, the driver did not have Sunpass and had to stop to pay cash. It ended up taking us an hour to get from Disney property to MCO. If DD had his license number she would have text 911 to pull him over the drive was so bad. Neither of us felt safe.

This driver had a 4.9 rating. I'm not sure I will ever use Uber again. DD did contact Uber about this driver. She has used Uber quite a bit, she told me this was the worst experience she ever had that all the other trips have been fine.

I realize that it was a fluke we had a terrible driver but be aware that they are out there. I'm not sure how he got such a high rating. I would rather pay a little more for a safe driver who was better vetted by a company than go through that experience again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter