Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

I am at POR how do I get Uber to pick up at Circle just outside of bldg 16 in Alligator Bayeau. I only see option to pick up at Port Orleans Riverside and I assume this means out in front of lobby?

DD & DSiL are running the half marathon this coming Sunday. We’re staying offsite, but close by, near the 535 - World Center Dr. intersection. They’ll have a rental car but would prefer to take Uber/Lyft to the start. Will they be able to get one at 3 or 4 in the morning on Sunday?

TIA!

I am at POR how do I get Uber to pick up at Circle just outside of bldg 16 in Alligator Bayeau. I only see option to pick up at Port Orleans Riverside and I assume this means out in front of lobby?
You move the Pin that shows to be exactly where you are standing.
Then text the driver that accepts your ride and tell them that you are outside on the drive for the building, giving them the exact building number
I did this at both POR and CBR with excellent success. All drivers came right to us

Last edited:
Hi everyone - we are renting a wheelchair on our upcoming visit for my father in law. He is mobile, so we mainly need it in the parks. Does anyone know if the regular Minnie Vans will let you fold a wheelchair and put it in the trunk? Or do you have to order the special accessible Minnie Van for those situations? We have 6 people in our party so the regular Minnie Vans would be perfect if we can just fold up the wheelchair. Thanks!

Hi everyone - we are renting a wheelchair on our upcoming visit for my father in law. He is mobile, so we mainly need it in the parks. Does anyone know if the regular Minnie Vans will let you fold a wheelchair and put it in the trunk? Or do you have to order the special accessible Minnie Van for those situations? We have 6 people in our party so the regular Minnie Vans would be perfect if we can just fold up the wheelchair. Thanks!

I'm sure someone will give you a better answer, but my initial thought is - every regular Minnie Van has 2 car seats in it. Will it have room for 2 car seats, 6 people and a folded up wheelchair?

If you have six adults, yes, the Minnie Van should accommodate all 6 and the wheelchair.

I drive a similar (but much nicer) Buick Enclave and the seating configuration is the same as the Minnie Vans: Driver and one passenger up front, two passengers in the second row bucket seats, three passengers in the third row bench seat. I've had seven good-sized adults in my car on numerous occasions, and with pretty good comfort. It doesn't seat 7 in the same sense a Prius seats 4, lol!

The wheelchair would go in the cargo space behind the third row. I believe the Minnie Van's two child seats are stowed in the cargo locker under the floor behind the third row, but even if they are not, there still should be plenty of room. We have plenty of room for Grandma's wheelchair in that space, with room to spare.

If you have six adults, yes, the Minnie Van should accommodate all 6 and the wheelchair.

I drive a similar (but much nicer) Buick Enclave and the seating configuration is the same as the Minnie Vans: Driver and one passenger up front, two passengers in the second row bucket seats, three passengers in the third row bench seat. I've had seven good-sized adults in my car on numerous occasions, and with pretty good comfort. It doesn't seat 7 in the same sense a Prius seats 4, lol!

The wheelchair would go in the cargo space behind the third row. I believe the Minnie Van's two child seats are stowed in the cargo locker under the floor behind the third row, but even if they are not, there still should be plenty of room. We have plenty of room for Grandma's wheelchair in that space, with room to spare.
I think they actually store the car seats in the cargo area behind the seat, they are visible, not hidden. But I do think a folded flat wheel chair would still fit there along with the 2 car seats.

I hope that is the case. Thank you all for the information!
I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with a Minnie Van. But if not, the other option would be to order an UberXL or Lyft Plus. That vehicle will be an SUV or minivan which seats six passengers and will have plenty of room for the wheelchair.

The Minnie Van fare is $20 anywhere on Disney Property, but they do not go off-property. For off-site, or when no Minnie Van is available, you can use Uber or Lyft.

Uber/Lyft prices vary by distance and time. For fare estimates, go to rideguru.com.

You move the Pin that shows to be exactly where you are standing.
Then text the driver that accepts your ride and tell them that you are outside on the drive for the building, giving them the exact building number
I did this at both POR and CBR with excellent success. All drivers came right to us

Thank you

I know specific tipping discussions aren't allowed - so mods please just delete this if not appropriate -

I was under the impression, possibly mistakenly, that the gratuity was built into the Uber fare that you are automatically charged when you accept the ride. I see on my account where I have a certain % added in for gratuity - but someone just told me that you still have to tip them cash for the ride. And lately I get a screen asking to add more tip - like $1, $3, $5 etc. once the ride has ended. Can someone clarify? I can't find anything about this on the uber website.

DD & DSiL are running the half marathon this coming Sunday. We’re staying offsite, but close by, near the 535 - World Center Dr. intersection. They’ll have a rental car but would prefer to take Uber/Lyft to the start. Will they be able to get one at 3 or 4 in the morning on Sunday?

TIA!

We've gotten Uber that early to the aiarport & have never waited more than 20 min so I don't think you will have any problems. Good luck on the half!

I know specific tipping discussions aren't allowed - so mods please just delete this if not appropriate -

I was under the impression, possibly mistakenly, that the gratuity was built into the Uber fare that you are automatically charged when you accept the ride. I see on my account where I have a certain % added in for gratuity - but someone just told me that you still have to tip them cash for the ride. And lately I get a screen asking to add more tip - like $1, $3, $5 etc. once the ride has ended. Can someone clarify? I can't find anything about this on the uber website.
Back in the day...when Uber first started...they used to advertise that the tip was included in the fare. It NEVER has been, and eventually the Federal Trade Commission made them stop saying that.

Recently (in July, I think), Uber finally added the ability to tip on your credit card, in the app. I have never heard of setting a percentage, nor have I ever seen that on either my driver app or rider app.

At the end of the ride, you will get a screen asking you to rate your ride. Once you do the rating, you will receive the tip screen. The amounts suggested on the screen vary according to your fare -- the longer the ride, the higher the fare, and the higher the suggested amounts. Those amounts are just to make the process easier; you can enter any custom amount you want. You can also tip in cash if you prefer. You will also receive an opportunity to rate and tip the driver as part of your email receipt.

For Lyft riders, there is one quirk to Lyft in-app tipping to be aware of.

If the driver is working on a Lyft promotion of some kind (both companies do driver promotions to get us to drive certain areas/times, etc.), an IN-APP tip actually hurts the driver. The reason is that Lyft considers your tip as driver revenue and counts it against whatever promotion the driver is involved in. Therefore, any promotional money the driver receives will be reduced by their in-app tips. So an in-app tip in that scenario actually costs the driver money, rather than helping them.

With both companies, no tip has ever been included in the fare, tips are not required, but they are always greatly appreciated.

Back in the day...when Uber first started...they used to advertise that the tip was included in the fare. It NEVER has been, and eventually the Federal Trade Commission made them stop saying that.

Recently (in July, I think), Uber finally added the ability to tip on your credit card, in the app. I have never heard of setting a percentage, nor have I ever seen that on either my driver app or rider app.

At the end of the ride, you will get a screen asking you to rate your ride. Once you do the rating, you will receive the tip screen. The amounts suggested on the screen vary according to your fare -- the longer the ride, the higher the fare, and the higher the suggested amounts. Those amounts are just to make the process easier; you can enter any custom amount you want. You can also tip in cash if you prefer. You will also receive an opportunity to rate and tip the driver as part of your email receipt.

If the driver is working on a Lyft promotion of some kind (both companies do driver promotions to get us to drive certain areas/times, etc.), an IN-APP tip actually hurts the driver. The reason is that Lyft considers your tip as driver revenue and counts it against whatever promotion the driver is involved in. Therefore, any promotional money the driver receives will be reduced by their in-app tips. So an in-app tip in that scenario actually costs the driver money, rather than helping them.

With both companies, no tip has ever been included in the fare, tips are not required, but they are always greatly appreciated.

Awesome info, thanks. I see now on my account that the auto % tip is for Uber TAXI, not regular Uber, glad to know. I always tip cash, just wanted to be sure I wasn't double tipping, if it was included in the fare.

That is the feature that Uber has had since practically the beginning. It's only offered in select cities and it's the version that uses regular taxi vehicles or something. I once knew the name of the service but no longer remember. Just recall that if your city (home) is one that has the service, when you set up your account, it asked you for a percentage you want to add for a tip. I think this is actually what helped confuse many about Uber and tipping way back when and Uber didn't do anything to stop the confusion or explain that it was only for the commercial rides.

Awesome info, thanks. I see now on my account that the auto % tip is for Uber TAXI, not regular Uber, glad to know. I always tip cash, just wanted to be sure I wasn't double tipping, if it was included in the fare.
That's it, Uber Taxi, and this is only offered in very few cities. I don't live in one, and I don't believe Orlando is one either, so I've never had that option.

It doesn't actually cost the driver money, it just doesn't help the driver. The driver gets the same amount with or without the tip, but the money is coming from the rider instead of from Lyft Inc. In essence, the tip is going to Lyft rather than to the driver.

It doesn't actually cost the driver money, it just doesn't help the driver. The driver gets the same amount with or without the tip, but the money is coming from the rider instead of from Lyft Inc. In essence, the tip is going to Lyft rather than to the driver.
Of course it costs the driver money!

Ignore Lyft's commission in this example, so we don't confuse readers.

Let's say the promotion is this: do 20 rides during a certain time period and we guarantee you $200.

Two drivers each do 20 rides, but make only $120, so they're $80 short. Both drivers made $50 in tips: Driver A got all of their tips IN-APP; Driver B got all of their tips in cash. How much does Lyft owe each driver?
  • Driver A: $200 - ($120 + $50 in-app tips) = $200 - $170 = $30.
    • Driver A makes $120+$50 tips +$30 from Lyft. Total $200.
  • Driver B: $200 - $120 = $80
    • Driver B makes the full $200 -- $120 + $80 from Lyft...plus $50 in cash tips. Total $250.
Just FYI for readers, there is nothing sneaky about this. Lyft makes this policy quite clear in their requirements for the various promotions...although most drivers don't read the details, and complain later about the results.

Last edited:
Re Lyft and driver promotions - does the passenger know that it’s a driver promotion so they can tip in cash? We much prefer the in-app tip because we don’t like to carry a lot of cash but don’t like to think we’re shorting the driver. Or is it better to tip in cash all the time because we’d never know?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter