• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

EASY recipe ideas needed

MerryPoppins

<font color=coral>I posted around Woo Hooty time<b
I am slowly recovering from my recent surgery and want to take over some of the cooking for my DH. Unfortunately, I don't feel like doing much in the kitchen. I also can't lift much yet.
I've done a couple of crockpot things and they were very good, but I hate to use it every night!

Any ideas for things where you basicly just open cans and dump them together? I have a bunch of ground beef precooked in the freezer, so I could use that as well. Anything fairly simple. Help! Thanks.

How about Chili! Take a pound of ground beef, a couple of cans of stewed tomatoes, can of kidney beans, sautee a onion/mushrooms and mix it all together and simmer for a hour or so. I like to add one whole jar of heinz chili sauce or you could use a couple teaspoons of chili powder. Serve with garlic toast!
Grover in Winnipeg
:D

How about . . .
Tater Tots Hot Dish
1 lb hamburger, browned
1/2 lb peas, frozen & defrosted
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup or
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 c milk
Tater Tots
Mix together & cover top with tater tots. Bake at 350 for 45 min in uncovered pan.

Baked Ziti
1 lb pasta (rigatoni, ziti, etc)
15 oz ricotta
8 oz shredded Mozzarella
32 oz jar spaghetti sauce
Cook pasta as usual & drain. Pour ~ 1/2 cup sauce in bottom of baking dish (or spray with olive oil.) Return pasta to same pot & mix with ricotta & remaining sauce. Stir in mozzarella. (If you put it in before the sauce, it melts into a big lump! ;) ) Pour into baking dish. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes uncovered.

Easy Chili
1 lb hamburger
1 can tomato soup + 1 can water
1/2 bag corn
1 can refried beans
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 can great northern (or kidney) beans
Mix & simmer. It's really good with a bag of Lipton Rice & Sauce Spanish thrown in, too.

Impossible Taco Bake

1 lb cooked hamburger
1 envelope taco seasoning mix
1 can tomato soup
1 can refried beans
2 c shredded Cheddar

Top with either:
2 c baking mix (like Jiffy or Bisquick)
1 c milk
2 eggs
or Jiffy Corn Bread Mix mixed as instructed. I put 1 tsp chili powder into either.
Heat oven to 350. Into an ungreased 13x9 baking dish, put the chicken & beans. Stir in taco seasoning mix, tomato soup & beans. Cover with cheese. Combine baking mix, milk, eggs & chili powder & stir until blended. Pour over chicken mixture. Bake 35 min or until light golden brown.

The original recipe says to serve with sour cream, chopped tomato & shredded lettuce

When I'm really tired, I like to make Chicken Helper Fried Rice.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Thanks so much. I am not feeling very creative. I did think of beans with ham and cornbread. I've made my shopping list for DH for this week from your ideas. I'd still welcome additional thoughts for next week. I'm copying them down, since I am due for 2 more surgeries in the next few months. Guess I'll get lots of rest, huh? ;)

You mentioned beans, ham & cornbread, which reminded me of another one. Have you ever had ham & green beans? It's a PA Dutch thing and quite delicious. It can be done on the stove (cooks a couple of hours) or in the crock pot. I usually buy a ham butt or have just used the bone from a ham & a bunch of left-over ham.

Cover the butt/bone with water & simmer for at least an hour. Remove bone & put in a bunch of green beans (I usually use frozen) & peeled potatoes. (One of my sisters uses canned beans & canned potatoes.) When fully cooked, add back the ham. Serve when ham is warm again.

Or in the crock - put the beans in first, add the ham butt or pieces (cut the butt at least into quarters), put the potatoes on top & add a quart of water. Cook all day on low.

When we were small, Mom served this with rye bread with butter & "Turkey Syrup" drizzled on it.

Use that crock pot, put some pork chops and cream of mushroom soup turn on in a few hours dinner.How about chicken, paprika, salt, pepper, cream of celery soup, wine or chicken broth. combine the soup and wine put half the chicken in the crock pot pour half the soup mixture repeat layers. Cover and cook on low 6hrs or high 4 hrs. Hope this helps.

Do you like kielbasa?

1 lb. kielbasa
2 15 oz. cans flavored tomatoes (your choice we like italian)
Rice

Cut kielbasa into 1 inch thick rounds and brown. Add tomatoes and simmer until thickened. Servce over rice. Add a salad or veggie.

TK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter