Early check in at the Fort

dizneygirl55

Mouseketeer
Is there an advantage to early check in at the Fort? Per MyDisneyExperience, we can start check in now. We don't arrive until June 21st. I plan on calling about 2 weeks out to reiterate our request for our loop but I did not know if early check in via MDE would be beneficial.

I usually do early check in and have often received a text with our site number while we are still on our way to the Fort.

If I don’t care for the assigned site, I stop at the Outpost and ask if something else is available.

On our last trip, I decided not to do early check in and waited until we arrived. We arrived very early (6:00 am), we were offered a couple of sites which were ready, but they didn’t meet our requests. We opted to wait it out, we ended up in the overflow lot until 2:00pm. That was the longest we ever waited for our site, but maybe we were there at an especially busy time.

I don’t know that either is better, but I will do online check in all the time now.

I admit to not really understanding how the whole early check in thing works. I tried it once and it didn't do much for us that I know of. I indicated I would be there before 11:00am.
We actually left the house around 11:50 and arrived at 12:24. I never received a text. We stopped at the check in as normal. We got our text that the site was ready as we were pulling out from the overhang.
So a couple of things:
1) I really didn't know what to expect as I had never done it before.
2) I didn't do the early check in thing until we were just leaving the house. Admittedly this didn't give them much time to get anything ready so no blame on their part.
3) Funny I got the text after I had already checked in but I assume it's automatic when you are assigned a site.

.... We got our text that the site was ready as we were pulling out from the overhang....
3) Funny I got the text after I had already checked in but I assume it's automatic when you are assigned a site.
That's basically it. It seems no matter the resort once you are checked in at the desk you will get a text informing you of your room number once it updates into the system.

On our last trip, I decided not to do early check in and waited until we arrived. We arrived very early (6:00 am), we were offered a couple of sites which were ready, but they didn’t meet our requests. We opted to wait it out, we ended up in the overflow lot until 2:00pm. That was the longest we ever waited for our site, but maybe we were there at an especially busy time.

I think there are two slightly different issues here.

The first issue is what are the benefits of ONLINE early check-in. The main benefit for Disney is to get your credit card number in advance, run any balance due, and send you a site number if it's ready. If you don't have a site preference or request and have reserved a Premium, for example, you get a site anywhere from 1100 to 400 around/before your estimated arrival time if it's ready (vacant, prepped, clean, blown, etc.). If you are okay with any ol' site, this can get you in "sooner".

The second issue is arriving checking in EARLIER in the morning. This is the route I choose because I have specific sites I would like in 100 (Preferred) or 1500 (Tent) depending on what I booked. I "request" 3 sites as a note on every Fort reservation I make. Sometimes it's pre-assigned but I have to wait for the current guest to leave, wait for it to cleaned, then the system to notify me. I can go 3 more sites deep in each loop if the first 3 aren't available that arrival day which covers me most of the time. However, this requesting/negotiating requires going into the Outpost Lobby anyway. Several times I've arrived before 7am and waited till 1-2pm to get the site number but it was usually one of the ones I wanted - which made the wait worthwhile for me IMO.

Bottom line is I don't do Online Early Check-in since I end up negotiating for a certain site (or site requirement) every time anyway which is fine. But if any site is okay with you, Online doesn't hurt anything and saves you Lobby wait time and conversation if nothing more.

To each his own - I like the early 630am conversations with the Cast Members in the Outpost Lobby. Nobody else is in there but me and them so it's relaxed and easy going and we can do a surprising amount of chit-chat. CM interaction is part of the Fort experience for me.

Bama Ed

PS - the morning shift of CMs start around/before 6am so they are fresh and ready to help.

Like others, I haven't seen where it made much difference. I have never received a text with a site number until after I was already checked in, despite indicating my arrival time (and showing up after that time). The only advantage might be if you have a special request that is an option in early check in. (Close to Comfort Station, for example). I've never put anything in for preferences as I do like Ed. Arrive early, see what is available and take (or wait) for what you want.

At least they have fixed the request options for the Fort. A few years ago you had the same choices as a regular resort. I always wanted to select "Close to elevator" or "2nd floor" just to see what would happen. :rotfl2:

j

We've always done online check in, but basically to let them know we'll be there 'early' (usually around 9-10 am). I can't remember if there's a place to remind them of special requests or not. But we've been very lucky in that we've always had a site ready in our preferred loop when we arrive, but I know that may just be a fluke. We're going in a reportedly busier time of year this year, so we'll see if our luck holds.

We've always done online check in, but basically to let them know we'll be there 'early' (usually around 9-10 am). I can't remember if there's a place to remind them of special requests or not. But we've been very lucky in that we've always had a site ready in our preferred loop when we arrive, but I know that may just be a fluke. We're going in a reportedly busier time of year this year, so we'll see if our luck holds.
This! Use the online check in so they know about when you will be there. Get thier earlier, and then see if you can get the site you want. Because you are thier first, they have some leeway in assigning you a site. Worked for me. The next person after you gets whats left. Thats been my experience. I did have to wait feom 1030 to 2 pm in overflow for my site. But it was a great site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter