• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Earliest Trip to WDW

My first trip was in Jan. 1998 right at the end of the 25th anniversary. I was 25! We've went just about every year since then (I guess to make up for lost time). We've actually seen quite a few changes in the 9 years we've been going. AK opened, ASM, PC, AKL, VWL, BCV, SSR have all been built, new rides opened in all 4 parks (and some closed too), new restaurants opened and some closed (we were sad when Bonfamille's in POFQ closed), Magical Express started, even the buses have changed somewhat. Heck our 1st trip in 1999 we rode a few times on "buses" that were actually built on flatbed trailers (I can imagine the amount of fuel they used kept WDW from keeping them). Those "buses" held quite a few more people than the normal ones they currently use. And most of the buses back then had seats like a regular bus, not just up the sides like most do now.

It always amazes me how much changes yet how much remains the same. We only are able to travel to WDW once a year (we actually went twice in 2005 because we didn't get to go at all in 2004). We definitely like to try new things every trip but do the favorites too because you just never know when something's going to be gone the next time you go!:sad2:

I remember that ride - I really enjoyed it and was disappointed when it closed. I thought it was Delta airlines though (not sure) and called "if you had wings". I can still hear parts of the song in my head.

Yes it was Eastern first, and then Delta "If you had wings". I loved that song too! It was where Buzz is now, and the "speed rooms" are still part of the Buzz ride.

I never got to visit WDW or DL as a child... my first visit was with my children in (I think) 1996. Since then I am an addict. And I refuse any cure or help.

I was almost 3 and my parents took me there that year and every year or every other year throughout my childhood. We would drive to Florida every summer and that was one of our stops along the way. Between WDW and DL I have been over 35 times, and I still live in Texas.

I miss the poster size park maps they used to sell. I still have many of them and enjoy looking at them occassionally to see how the park changed over the years. I miss Horizons...not sure why but I remember feeling like your were actually "there" when you got to chose your final destination of the 3 at the end. Very cool in the 80's!

Now DVC owners, we are taking our 2 1/2 year old son to start the same traditions with him and can't wait!!! I have never planned a trip like I have planned this one! Too excited to sleep!!

My 1st trip was in 1978 (I think) We stayed at CR- I was 8 years old. I remember the characters were around the hotle restaurants and common areas all day. That was cool. The biggest change (other than the fact that DisneyWorld was just MK back then) in my opinion is that you used to get in MK for free and had to buy tickets for your rides.

Edit: I just read Doc's response- I guess you didn't get in for free, oh well I was 8, I didn't think about $$ back then.

That was "If You Had Wings". It was located where Buzz Lightyear is now located.

It was open from 1972 - 1987 under that name (Eastern's corporate slogan at that time was "The WIngs of Man"). When Eastern dropped the sponsorship in 1987, it was renamed "If You Could Fly" - although the memorable Theme song also disappeared. The ride closed in 1989, looking for another sponsor.

Shortly after, it reopened as Delta's Dreamflight until Delta stopped sponsorship in 1996 - and the ride was stripped of all reference to Delta and was renamed "Disney's Take Flight" until it closed in early 1998.

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger SPin opened in November, 1998.

DW and I rode both the Eastern and Delta versions of the ride. Eastern dropped the sponsorship in 1987 because of their bankruptcy proceedings. I too really enjoyed that ride and the song. DW and I were (are :) ) spoiled baby boomers in every sense but one. We didn't travel to WDW until 1987 when we were twenty-something. At that time, there was MK & Epcot. CR, Poly, and FW were open, but on-site hotel choices were slim, i.e., there were no values and no moderates (I may be wrong about CBR, but I don't think it was open then). If memory serves, the only other deluxe option was the Disney Village accomodations (not the Hotel Plaza Boulevard accomodations, but rather the treehouse villas, townhouses, etc) Splash Mountain and Mickey's ToonTown (previously known as Mickey's Starland and Mickey's Birthdayland) had not been built, but the Davy Crockett canoes still plyed the Rivers of America just like they still do in busy times at DL. Epcot has obviously seen many, many changes, particularly in FutureWorld. The thing I remember most about that 1987 trip was the terrible, terrible traffic traveling to and from an off-site hotel. DW and I agreed that we would never stay off-site again and haven't, making the progression from Moderate/Deluxe hotels to DVC.

We first went in the summer of 1972. I was a kid with two older sisters. My parents took us every year, but we never had the extra money to stay at the Contemporary or the Poly. We stayed at an off site Howard Johnson's.

I remember the Swan Boats, If You Had Wings, and a real snooze fest... something about "Monsanto". Space Mountain wasn't yet built.
I believe the sponsored attractions were free. I think my mother still has some left over "A" and "B" tickets somewhere. Of course the "E"s are gone!
I seem to recall there was way more of those "Mainstreet Vehicles" than there are today.
I also remember running to Cinderella Castle in the morning trying to get a dinner ressie. <---That's the way it was done back then.
Wasn't there also concerts in Tomorrowland? Or perhaps at the Tomorrowland Terrace?

Well, I could go on and on. Great memories!! :)

MG

I had always dreamed of going to Disney. When we went we stayed offsite, ate a $.99 breakfast, somewhere, it was so exciting parking, getting on the Ferry, buying the ticket book. I remember that people could actually get into the park for an entrance fee and not purchase tickets. When tickets ran out, there were ticket booths around the park for purchases, (always ran out of E tickets). We ate at the Luau, bought Luau clothes, everything was new. My son was 9 months old, he would not drink juice, his first bottle of juice was at The Haunted Mansion. Now, he is going to be 30, and this is still told to him everytime we go.

We did everything!! This is the only trip, that we did everything in Magic Kingdom, of course we called it Disney World and my kids still do.

How has it changed? It changes from visit to visit.

10 days after opening-October 1971. We had a guide with a cute hat and a flag that we followed around the park. Most memorable rides for me were the Tiki Room, the Haunted Mansion and I loved Small World. I made my Dad buy me multiple tickets for that ride! I was instantly and completely in love with the whole Disney deal and have been ever since-much to husbands amusement and my childrens embarrasment (oh well)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter