Earliest time to fly out of MCO on debarkation day??

ascardino

DIS Veteran
Anyone think it is possible for my family of 5 to make a 10:30am flight on a Friday in August with the Dream due ashore in PC at 7:30am?

We all have TSA pre check. The next flight at 11:45am is not available and the later flights are way more expensive. I can get round trip for $286 which jumps up to $415 pp.

That is cutting it super close. While they may dock at 7:30 that doesn't mean they'll get customs clearance by then. You would pretty much need to do walk off (keep all your stuff with you) or airline check in. You also have to clear customs which can take awhile depending on how many people are leaving.

Do you plan on taking Disney transportation or a car service?

That is cutting it super close. While they may dock at 7:30 that doesn't mean they'll get customs clearance by then. You would pretty much need to do walk off (keep all your stuff with you) or airline check in. You also have to clear customs which can take awhile depending on how many people are leaving.

Do you plan on taking Disney transportation or a car service?
We haven't booked any transfer from the port to MCO yet.

I'll just say the cruise line doesn't suggest anything earlier then 12:30. There are just too many factors to say for sure you'd make a flight any earlier then that.

I think I had an 11am flight when we sailed the Fantasy. I was stressed the night before and the whole morning. We tried to get off as early as possible but the line of people doing that was already very long when we went down at 6:45. Add to it that doors to get off did not open on time and the line we were on just crawled through. We made it in time but I'm not sure it was worth the stress and needing to be there another 1/2 hour earlier might have been too much. For us it was just a small delay for the doors to open; they opened at 7:45 instead of 7:30 because they needed to locate someone before we could clear customs. But I have been on other cruises were the delay was more significant (several times after 8am and twice almost 9 am); but since our flights are usually at midday, I didn't stress those days!

Another caution, I have noticed in the last few months, having TSA Pre-check might not save you the time it once did in MCO. Seems like that line was as long as the regular line. (In April - not Easter - my 2 sisters raced - one had pre-check and one did not. They both made it through security at the same time.)

You would pretty much need to do walk off (keep all your stuff with you) or airline check in.

It would have to be Express Walk-off carrying all your bags. Onboard airline check-in requires flights to leave 11:30am or later.

OP -- while it may be possible, there's no guarantee. I would simply be too stressed, which is not a good way to end a nice vacation. Are there lower priced flights the next day? An extra night at a hotel might be worth it if you can get lower airfare for everyone.

Enjoy your cruise!

I'll just say the cruise line doesn't suggest anything earlier then 12:30. There are just too many factors to say for sure you'd make a flight any earlier then that.

This is not correct. DCL recommends no flight earlier than 11:30. You just never know if the ship will dock in time and the customs.are govt officials, not DCL workers, so you never know... I'm contemplating an 11:14am flight but my husband would probably kill me. He likes to get there with three hours to kill, er, I mean spare. ..:rolleyes1

Another caution, I have noticed in the last few months, having TSA Pre-check might not save you the time it once did in MCO. Seems like that line was as long as the regular line. (In April - not Easter - my 2 sisters raced - one had pre-check and one did not. They both made it through security at the same time.)

This. As more and more people are getting pre-check, it is not the time saver people want it to be. In Feb at LGA (I had no choice), people were actually opting to move from the pre-check line to the regular one because the pre-check was so long.

I would not recommend that early a flight. I also wouldn't do it without a car parked at the port. What happens if your transportation is late?

Me personally I wouldn't take a flight before 11 that is cutting it close.

On our last cruise we debarked the ship at 8 and had FLTours pick us up at 8:30. We were still able to do the sit down main seating breakfast. We arrived at the airport before 9:30 and were at the gate by 10. Our flight was at 11:45AM.

For our upcoming cruise we are taking a 12:15 flight.

Have you thought about taking a later evening flight and spending the day in Orlando?

This is not correct. DCL recommends no flight earlier than 11:30. You just never know if the ship will dock in time and the customs.are govt officials, not DCL workers, so you never know... I'm contemplating an 11:14am flight but my husband would probably kill me. He likes to get there with three hours to kill, er, I mean spare. ..:rolleyes1

I'll admit I googled it late last night and the websites (mostly Disney fan ones like this) said 12:30. I didn't go straight to DCL website.

We cruised in March and had ambitious goals to get to WDW at quickly as possible. We had rented a car with Avis. We did self debarkation and were off the ship and through customs in a matter of minutes, around 7:30 (this was the Dream). It went downhill from there. We waited over 30 minutes for the rental car shuttle. Then the shuttle stopped 2 more times to pick up more people. Then more wait at the rental car office (offsite) because everyone got off the shuttle at the same time. Then we sat in construction on the highway. We wanted to drop off our luggage at our hotel because we didn't want to leave it in the car all day. We got in the parks shortly before 10:00.

Can you get to the airport in time? Sure. Everything has to fall into place perfectly. Everyone has to be up and ready, self debarkation, no breakfast. If you're going to rent a car, I'd suggest calling Uber to take you to the rental car office as soon as you get off the ship. Keep in mind, you have to return a rental car in Orlando too. Fortunately, the rental car locations are onsite at MCO.

Me personally I wouldn't take a flight before 11 that is cutting it close.

On our last cruise we debarked the ship at 8 and had FLTours pick us up at 8:30. We were still able to do the sit down main seating breakfast. We arrived at the airport before 9:30 and were at the gate by 10. Our flight was at 11:45AM.

For our upcoming cruise we are taking a 12:15 flight.

Have you thought about taking a later evening flight and spending the day in Orlando?

This is good to hear. We have flights at 11:50 on SW. We paid for the early check-in, so our place in line is set. We just need to print off the boarding passes. Anyone know if you can print things off in the computer stations onboard? And what about checked bags? Do we have to stand in line at the check in counter to check bags. Or is there a curbside drop off for SW? We plan to be off the ship and through customs by 8:00. Should that be ok? We are using FL Tours and have an 8:00 pick up right now. Never mind about the printing. Crazy me forgot you can use your phone.

This is good to hear. We have flights at 11:50 on SW. We paid for the early check-in, so our place in line is set. We just need to print off the boarding passes. Anyone know if you can print things off in the computer stations onboard? And what about checked bags? Do we have to stand in line at the check in counter to check bags. Or is there a curbside drop off for SW? We plan to be off the ship and through customs by 8:00. Should that be ok? We are using FL Tours and have an 8:00 pick up right now. Never mind about the printing. Crazy me forgot you can use your phone.

I would not be worried about an 11:50 flight. SW does have curbside check-in at MCO. Guest services will print boarding passes for you, if you would rather have a paper copy.

I would not be worried about an 11:50 flight. SW does have curbside check-in at MCO. Guest services will print boarding passes for you, if you would rather have a paper copy.

Awesome! Thanks so much.

We were through security by 10:00am on our last cruise 2 weeks ago... having said that I wouldn't... MCO normally has two people movers and they are now down to 1 people mover and it's much slower (they are upgrading them 1 at a time).... also the security line is insane... they are expanding the airport (you can see the construction) because the travel to MCO has increased.... security line is really long because it's just one major line for the entire airport... you can probably do it OP if you leave the ship at 7:15 but it could be stressful

I think I had an 11am flight when we sailed the Fantasy. I was stressed the night before and the whole morning. We tried to get off as early as possible but the line of people doing that was already very long when we went down at 6:45. Add to it that doors to get off did not open on time and the line we were on just crawled through. We made it in time but I'm not sure it was worth the stress and needing to be there another 1/2 hour earlier might have been too much. For us it was just a small delay for the doors to open; they opened at 7:45 instead of 7:30 because they needed to locate someone before we could clear customs. But I have been on other cruises were the delay was more significant (several times after 8am and twice almost 9 am); but since our flights are usually at midday, I didn't stress those days!

Here's a good example of why not to do that. I don't understand the urgency to return so early, you're on vacation, why ruin it with that kind of frustration.

• Earliest departure time from Vancouver International Airport on Debarkation Day: 12:00 PM
  • Earliest departure time from JFK, LGA, EWR on Debarkation Day is 12:00 pm
  • Earliest departure time from George Bush Intercontinental Airport on Debarkation Day: 1:00
  • Earliest departure time from Miami International Airport on Debarkation Day: 12:00 PM
  • Earliest departure time from San Juan International Airport on Debarkation Day: 11:30 AM
  • Earliest departure time from MCO is 11:30
  • Earliest departure time from San Diego International Airport on Debarkation Day: 11:45 AM
  • Earliest departure time from Barcelona International Airport on Debarkation Day: 11:30 AM
  • Earliest departure time from Copenhagen Airport on Debarkation Day: 12:30 PM
  • Earliest departure time from London Heathrow International Airport or London Gatwick International Airport on Debarkation Day: 1:15 PM
So, flight time recommendations vary with the port/airport you are flying out of. Not too long ago MCO also had a later recommendation time. It was either 12:00 or 12:30.

I pulled all the times from this link at the DCL site:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/air-ground-transportation/

It also lists the hotels DCL using in each city.

MJ

• Earliest departure time from Vancouver International Airport on Debarkation Day: 12:00 PM
  • Earliest departure time from JFK, LGA, EWR on Debarkation Day is 12:00 pm
  • Earliest departure time from George Bush Intercontinental Airport on Debarkation Day: 1:00
  • Earliest departure time from Miami International Airport on Debarkation Day: 12:00 PM
  • Earliest departure time from San Juan International Airport on Debarkation Day: 11:30 AM
  • Earliest departure time from MCO is 11:30
  • Earliest departure time from San Diego International Airport on Debarkation Day: 11:45 AM
  • Earliest departure time from Barcelona International Airport on Debarkation Day: 11:30 AM
  • Earliest departure time from Copenhagen Airport on Debarkation Day: 12:30 PM
  • Earliest departure time from London Heathrow International Airport or London Gatwick International Airport on Debarkation Day: 1:15 PM
So, flight time recommendations vary with the port/airport you are flying out of. Not too long ago MCO also had a later recommendation time. It was either 12:00 or 12:30.

I pulled all the times from this link at the DCL site:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/air-ground-transportation/

It also lists the hotels DCL using in each city.

MJ

OP is asking about sailing from Port Canaveral on the Dream, flying out of MCO. As you see in your above listing, DCL recommends no flight earlier than 11:30, which is what I had quoted above.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter