DVC Tour and different price given?

Phildvc1992

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

This is my first post, I have just come back from Florida and we went on a DVC Tour last week, We asked about DVC resale and we're told that we could get Old Key West for $105 per point if we bought there and then,

There was no chance I was going to buy on the day without doing research, I went ahead today to go and look at talking to them about it and the person i spoke to told me it is $151 per point and it was never $105 per point so he doesn't know who told me it.

Does anyone know if this is something that is usually done?

Also I have tried e-mailing my DVC "Guide" twice now and I have yet to have a reply.

Thank you,

Phil

In all likelihood, there was some misunderstanding. DVD does not sell resale, and the price you were quoted on the phone of $151 is accurate for OKW.

As guiding as they can be about allowing you to draw your own conclusion about things (like current UY points being a bonus), I don't see a guide lying outright about a $105/point offering for OKW.

I would think not. There really isn't any wiggle room in the pricing. It is set and they stick with it. There is at times incentives where you might get a certain amount of money off based on points purchased, but that is typically only for the resorts currently being sold.

This is something on there powerpoint that went through and the price seemed too good to be true at the time, It is quite disappointing as our guide even did the 'go and make a phone call to see if he can get the points in' By the looks of it we will sadly not be investing in DVC in that case. As we would of only bought directly through Disney.

This is something on there powerpoint that went through and the price seemed too good to be true at the time, It is quite disappointing as our guide even did the 'go and make a phone call to see if he can get the points in' By the looks of it we will sadly not be investing in DVC in that case. As we would of only bought directly through Disney.

I'm curious why you would only buy direct?

Due to the membership benefits such as the Gold Annual pass and the discounted prices when buying food and merchandise. The Gold Pass is something that suits us and for $500 its a great price DVC

How many points were you looking to buy? Could you do 75 direct and the remainder resale to make up the price difference?

How many points were you looking to buy? Could you do 75 direct and the remainder resale to make up the price difference?
We we're looking at buying 140 - 160 points, This is something I am now reading and looking at buying the 75 directly through Disney to get our Membership benefits and then buying the rest through a resale site.

We we're looking at buying 140 - 160 points, This is something I am now reading and looking at buying the 75 directly through Disney to get our Membership benefits and then buying the rest through a resale site.
That's what we just did. We just bought our very first DVC contract and went direct first to get the perks. Plus we wanted to buy at Copper Creek, which doesn't really have much of a resale market. From here on out any additional contracts we'll be looking at through resale for the savings.

That's what we just did. We just bought our very first DVC contract and went direct first to get the perks. Plus we wanted to buy at Copper Creek, which doesn't really have much of a resale market. From here on out any additional contracts we'll be looking at through resale for the savings.
Did you buy your first 75 at Copper Creek and then your extra at a different resort? If so how would that work when you go to book your vacations?
I had my entire budget planned down exactly and now it has just been juggled up so my maths is all over the place and I am trying to look at what is the best saving in the longest run.

Did you buy your first 75 at Copper Creek and then your extra at a different resort? If so how would that work when you go to book your vacations?
I had my entire budget planned down exactly and now it has just been juggled up so my maths is all over the place and I am trying to look at what is the best saving in the longest run.
So far we only have the one Copper Creek contract. We literally just purchased last week so we haven't had time (or money :P) to buy another contract.

You'll find that lots of people have contracts at multiple resorts. What they try to do is get them into the same use year, which makes it much easier to manage. Since I'm not one of those people and I'm brand new to DVC, I don't want to give you misinformation. I'll let more experienced owners help you out on juggling multiple contracts. For now, we're just very happy to own what we do and to have the perks!

Points retain home resort, so a 75 purchase at CCV could not be combined with resale elsewhere at 11 months. Only at 7.

There are a lot of small CCV contracts being sold. I expect getting studios there to be a big challenge in 5 years. I would not buy CCV for a studio, especially in fall, without buying a fixed week contract.

Points retain home resort, so a 75 purchase at CCV could not be combined with resale elsewhere at 11 months. Only at 7.

There are a lot of small CCV contracts being sold. I expect getting studios there to be a big challenge in 5 years. I would not buy CCV for a studio, especially in fall, without buying a fixed week contract.

Okay so that makes a bit more sense, I could have 75 points at AKL and book 7 nights dream season in June for a Holiday in May 2019 but I would have to wait another 4 months until I could book the other 7 nights with a high chance it not being available or having to chance resort?

Okay so that makes a bit more sense, I could have 75 points at AKL and book 7 nights dream season in June for a Holiday in May 2019 but I would have to wait another 4 months until I could book the other 7 nights with a high chance it not being available or having to chance resort?
Correct.

Points always retain home resort. Otherwise, you could buy a small number of points somewhere pricey and lots of cheap points and break the system.

Correct.

Points always retain home resort. Otherwise, you could buy a small number of points somewhere pricey and lots of cheap points and break the system.

I believe I've figured my way around all of it, Decided rather than buy all directly through disney at OKW we will buy 75 points outright at a resale to save taking a finance out on one and then through Disney we will privately finance the 75 points there. Figured we will do it by 2019 time.

You should calculate the value of buying any points direct versus the perceived savings you would receive in the future. DVC discount pricing for annual passes may not continue into the future. It's not a guaranteed benefit forever. For a family of five, the savings could be $1000 per year, which could pay the difference between 75 direct and 75 resale, in four years. Direct would also get you a 2057 expiration date. Most (but not all) resales for OKW are 2042 expiration.

You should calculate the value of buying any points direct versus the perceived savings you would receive in the future. DVC discount pricing for annual passes may not continue into the future. It's not a guaranteed benefit forever. For a family of five, the savings could be $1000 per year, which could pay the difference between 75 direct and 75 resale, in four years. Direct would also get you a 2057 expiration date. Most (but not all) resales for OKW are 2042 expiration.

Yes, this is an important point. Any discounts and perks that are being currently offered are just that - currently offered. They come and go all the time, and none of them are guaranteed in your contract. All DVC owes you when you buy is the ability to stay in DVC resorts on points, subject to availability. Everything else can and does change. So make sure that the premium you're paying for those direct points would still be worth it if the discounts you're interested in were to go away.

I've seen a lot of people expecting the special on platinum passes and the 13 for 12 deal to "come back," and I actually think that was a one-shot for DVC's 25th. But there is more than a little whining on some of the DVC "communities" about "where did it goooooo?"

Don't be That Owner.

So does DVC now allow new members to purchase direct as low as 75 points? If so that would work out perfect for us as we love Wilderness Lodge and a week every other year would fit our needs perfectly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter