DVC Snobs

Nigel Reece

Earning My Ears
I wasn’t going to post about a conversation I overheard, while relaxing in a DVC longe but I feel compelled to share.

So I’m sitting quietly while enjoying a beverage and a snack when a family and what seemed to be their friends came over and sat close by. One of their friends asked about DVC. A conversation then ensued about the fact anyone (middle class) now being able to own and old money vs new money and things not being what they used to be when they bought.

They seemed to have a problem with anyone being able to purchase and boasted about how many points they owned (a lot) and the need to get more. Don’t get me wrong. This is America and anyone should be able to do anything they want. However, they shouldn’t group people into classes and act like they are better than others.

What a bunch of elitist snobs.

I wasn’t going to post about a conversation I overheard, while relaxing in a DVC longe but I feel compelled to share.

So I’m sitting quietly while enjoying a beverage and a snack when a family and what seemed to be their friends came over and sat close by. One of their friends asked about DVC. A conversation then ensued about the fact anyone (middle class) now being able to own and old money vs new money and things not being what they used to be when they bought.

They seemed to have a problem with anyone being able to purchase and boasted about how many points they owned (a lot) and the need to get more. Don’t get me wrong. This is America and anyone should be able to do anything they want. However, they shouldn’t group people into classes and act like they are better than others.

You should have told them to look into Golden Oak. :D

LAX

While this is extreme and it shouldn't be about who you are/where you come from, but there are some realities to some of the things you posted. DVC isn't what it used to be though for other reasons than you referenced and I do think reducing the minimum purchases plus SSR has hurt the system in some ways. And in reality it does take a certain amount of finances to own with DVC or to vacation at WDW in general. As a group people seem to feel entitled and as a group DVC members seem to feel more entitled than the general population. Have you ever witnessed a meltdown at the front desk or similar involving the words "I paid X amount of $$$ and I deserve"? Whether it's room stuffing, lying about guests to avoid the dining plan charges, sneaking people into the pools or just crashing the pools because they are members (DVC doesn't have day use); DVC members scan be less than appealing.

I try to live my life such that others think of me as "that riffraff..."

It's actually quite liberating. On Twitter, there's a guy that always complains about people that take their shoes off on airplanes. I'm thinking of trying it on my next trip down...

As a former road warrior, taking shoes off on the plane is a MUST. The same cannot he said for going in socks or bare feet to the lav, however ...:crazy2::faint:

I don't think these people truly know what being "middle class" in the USA means. A middle class family can't afford DVC, even a 25 point contract. What they are probably seeing is a lot of families going for that "Once in a life time trip to Disney" on rented points to save money.

Last edited:

I find that most of these "elitist snobs" are actually "new money" and do a bit of self aggrandizing loud enough to let people hear them. I have a vacation home in a rather upscale community. The house was literally one of the worst waterfront houses in the community. My next door neighbor (who lives here full time) is one of those people that feel that having the ability to buy a home here is a sign that he's somehow better than others. When he espoused his views to us on how he hoped we would tear down our beautiful cedar sided chalet and build something grandiose like the neighbor on the other side, we just walked away shaking our heads. Later, when we found out he was a used car dealer, we had a very long laugh at the conversation and his opinion of himself.

There are people in all walks of life who are not comfortable and confident in themselves, and feel the need for outside affirmation that they matter. This usually comes in the form of trying to knock others down. Whether it is a meathead at the gym laughing at someone new to working out, or DVC snob upset that other, "less worthy" (yet completely worthy) people got into the system.
I am so glad to not have to work in an industry like upscale clothing or fancy car sales where 95% of my job is making people feel like they are much more important than they really are. It would make me feel sick.

I don't think these people truly know what being "middle class" in the USA means. A middle class family can't afford DVC, even a 25 point contract. What they are probably seeing is a lot of families going for that "Once in a life time trip to Disney" on rented points to save money.
It’s always interesting to see what people see as lower, upper and middle class. To own DVC most likely would be middle class as a minimum at some point but people float between classes largely depending on their choices. Once one gets into the upper class, many are still candidates for DVC if they’re on the lower end of that group but many aren’t, they just pay cash and don’t worry about it. For an individual often the definition of rich is someone who has more than they do (or is perceived to, often incorrectly). I like this model to look at a definition of middle class, http://money.cnn.com/infographic/economy/what-is-middle-class-anyway/index.html . If you use the asset model as the test, often even DVC members aren’t middle class as they often owe more than they own. IMO every middle class family has the opportunity to afford DVC but they may make choices that make it not feasible or they may just buy it anyway as we sometimes see here. I'd guess that most DVC owners are technically middle class.

I try to live my life such that others think of me as "that riffraff..."

It's actually quite liberating. On Twitter, there's a guy that always complains about people that take their shoes off on airplanes. I'm thinking of trying it on my next trip down...

You are my kind of guy. I make it a habit to take off my shoes on planes too. Generally no reaction from ppl but every once in a while I get one. I celebrate and laugh in my mind when that happens. To each their own lol gives me a great sense of satisfaction

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter