DVC rental/ refund for dining plan?

lynnfitz

DIS Veteran
Hi, I rented points for next month, and also the dining plan. This gentleman I have rented through numerous times. We cannot go as my mom ended up having surgery (broken hip from fall). I am in the process of figuring this all out. For the points, it comes down to I can use them until Dec. Now, what if we decide not to go at all? Would I lose that money for the dining plan? As far as the points, there home resort is one of the resorts we are staying at, so at this point not too concerned with the points, it's the dining plan, I really have no idea if this is refundable if we cancel all together?
thanks!

IMG_0854.jpeg

^ This is from the DVC site. You should be able to cancel DDP and get a refund. The owner of the points will need to call.

Maybe if you book the future trip first, then they can just apply the cost there. That would be to avoid issues transferring money back and forth, if that applies to what method was used for this rental.

Hi, I rented points for next month, and also the dining plan. This gentleman I have rented through numerous times. We cannot go as my mom ended up having surgery (broken hip from fall). I am in the process of figuring this all out. For the points, it comes down to I can use them until Dec. Now, what if we decide not to go at all? Would I lose that money for the dining plan? As far as the points, there home resort is one of the resorts we are staying at, so at this point not too concerned with the points, it's the dining plan, I really have no idea if this is refundable if we cancel all together?
thanks!
Renters don’t always understand the ins & outs of DVC bookings & the limitations owners face w/ availability & the useful life of points, however, you should be very concerned about whether your owner will be able to book another reservation for you because of the way DVC works.
First, if the points need to be used ‘by Dec.’ that means your owner has a Dec. use year & the points he used to make your reservation expire on 12/1 which is 4 months away, your trip will need to be in Sept., Oct., or Nov.
Second, Home resort is meaningless at such a late date - home resort bookings only have priority for bookings more than 7 months out.
Third, autumn is a very very popular time for DVC stays, availability is very limited, thus it will be challenging to get a reservation at any resort in the next 4 months. The sooner you ask your owner to try & rebook for you the better & expect to have limited choices. It looks like your trip was an SSR/BLT split, SSR is most likely to have availability & being willing to do a split will help w/ availability.
Fourth, when you say you rented points for next month - I hope the first day of your stay isn’t less than 30 days away. Any cancelation w/in 30 days results in the points going into a restricted status known as ‘holding points’ - which means your owner must wait until 60 days before your desired new dates to try & book it for you - which is even more challenging than a 4 month out booking.
Sorry about your mom & hopefully you can reschedule.

If the dining plan is canceled, it will be refunded to the original form of paymnet. As noted above, the owner of the points must call and do that for you. Hopefully, your contract with them explains how it will be handled.

Sorry about your mom and I do hope that you are able to get something rescheduled since you are going into a very busy DVC time...

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest