~*~ Dream ~*~ Believe ~*~ Achieve ~*~ (Comments Welcome)

This run had me nervous all week. I kept wondering how I was going to get through it when my legs were so dang tired.

^This +

I felt so strong the entire time and could have kept going.

^This =

Race Ready! :cool1:

Remember to store this memory away. You were nervous. Your legs were really tired. And yet, you went out there, completed the workout, and felt good at the end. That's usually a pretty good sign here at the tail end. Good timing as well.

12/24/18 - 12/30/18
I've been dealing with really tight hips and glutes all week. I'm good as long as I'm moving, but the minute I sit everything stiffens right back up.​
Monday - Some women in my neighborhood started up a Couch to 5K group. There's all different levels of fitness in the group though. I decided to run with them for a little bit since it was an easy pace run for me today. It was a lot of fun having others to run with. The time and miles flew by! Tonight was Christmas Eve so we went to candlelight service at church.

IMG_5883.JPG

Running: Easy A - my paces are all over the place.
  • Plan: 5mi @ 12:25
  • Actual: 5mi @ 12:18
  • Splits: 12:15, 13:00, 12:14, 12:04, 11:59
Strength Training: None​
Tuesday - Merry Christmas! We had such a great day. It was just my little family. We unwrapped presents in the morning and lounged around doing a whole lot of nothing all day. We heated the pool and hung out in the hot tub too. It was perfect. My family really spoiled me this year. Rob always has to listen to me complain about cruddy coffee when I stay on site at WDW. He got me a single cup Keurig brewer for Marathon Weekend! It's small enough to pack in my suitcase! Yeah for good coffee!!! My two favorite gifts are tickets to see MercyMe in May and this....

Untitled.jpg

Running: Off
Wednesday - Today was my last blind run on my training plan. No using any devices to see/hear your pace!!! I thought I had gotten a good idea of what my Marathon Tempo pace should feel like after my run on Saturday. I got home and looked at the data and nearly fainted. I was pretty impressed with how fast I was :banana: but that got me to thinking about what coach might have in store for me on my next training plan :scared1:

Running: Marathon Tempo
  • Plan: 1mi WU + 8mi @ 10:21 + 1mi CD
  • Actual: 10mi @ 10:00
  • Splits: 12:30, 10:23, 9:52, 9:46, 9:38, 9:25, 9:23, 9:36, 9:19, 10:10
Strength Training: Squats, Bench Press, seated single arm rows, supersets of single arm tricep cable pushdown & dumbbell bicep curls​
Thursday - I wanted to go out with my neighborhood group this morning. I timed it so I ran 1.5mi on my own right before our meet up then finished 2.5 with them. They are doing a run/walk for their program which isn't a good fit for me so I ran continuously playing leapfrog with them.

Running: Easy A
  • Plan: 4mi @ 12:25
  • Actual: 4mi @ 12:00
  • Splits: 12:12, 12:01, 11:56, 11:51
Friday - After weeks of beautiful weather, Mother Nature decided to throw a curveball. I didn't check the weather before I left and I was melting after the first mile. I checked the weather after my run and T+D was 145! I slept horribly so my run and my strength training felt extra hard today

Running: Easy B + Strides
  • Plan: 7mi @ 11:36 + strides in the last mile
  • Actual: 7mi @ 11:27
  • Splits: 11:24, 11:27, 11:38, 11:35, 11:31, 11:37, 10:58
Strength Training: Squats, Overhead Press & Deadlifts
Saturday - T+D in the 140's again. Blah. I was having a hard time getting myself out the door today. I was just so tired, my hips and glutes were stiff and I swear my shoes were made out of lead. Rob was my cheerleader today and kept me moving by trailing along side me on his bike. I couldn't be more thankful for him doing that for me today because I know I would have called it quits.

IMG_5948.JPG

Running: Long Run - my paces were all over the place again. I forgot to change my Long Run Workout in Garmin. It was programmed to have me run with an overall average pace of 11:12-11:22 instead pacing me for each individual mile at 11:12-11:22.
  • Plan: 8mi @ 11:17
  • Actual: 8mi @ 11:16
  • Splits: 11:25, 11:06, 11:07, 11:25, 11:14, 11:14, 11:07, 11:27
We took the kids ice skating. I didn't skate though. I'm a horrible skater so I was worried about falling and injuring myself. Nick used to play hockey and I miss it so much. He hasn't been on skates in 3 years, but you'd never know it. I tried convincing him to play hockey again, but he wasn't having it.
Untitled.png

Sunday - Eliana and I had plans to go to MK to see the NYE fireworks. She decided her friends were more important so I went solo. First up was lunch at Kona Cafe. I ordered the Kona Salad (Seasonal Greens, Cucumbers, Carrots, Tomatoes, Peanut Brittle, and Blood Orange Vinaigrette) & a special they had that day - Surf & Turf Roll (Kona coffee rubbed beef of some sort, butter poached lobster, avocado, cucumber & some sort of spicy sauce).

upload_2018-12-31_7-49-21.png

After lunch I headed to MK. I bought myself a new hat and easily found a spot for the Christmas parade.

upload_2018-12-31_7-49-48.png

upload_2018-12-31_7-49-59.png

upload_2018-12-31_7-50-20.png

After the parade I went to Starbucks and got myself a White Tea Lemonade w/ Raspberry Syrup. Since I was flying solo I got to do the "boring" things according to my daughter. I went to the Enchanted Tiki Room, Country Bears Jamboree then to the Hall of Presidents. Crowds weren't too bad until I came out of HoP. It was insanity. I have never been here when it was so packed. I sloooooowly shuffled my way with the masses to Peter Pan. The FP+ line was so backed up, but I never get to ride this attraction so I stuck it out. After PP I made my way to Main Street for the Frozen Castle Lighting & the New Year's Eve Fireworks. At this point I was thinking I will never ever do this again without a dessert party booked. The castle lighting was delayed a little bit.

upload_2018-12-31_7-57-56.png

Then it was time for fireworks!

upload_2018-12-31_7-58-34.png

They were meh and didn't live up to the hype I had in my head. I like Hallowishes better. After the fireworks I made my way to Small World. I really love this ride! I had another FP+ for Pirates, but I was done dealing with the crowds. I'm glad I experienced NYE Fireworks, but I don't think I'll ever do it again. Sometimes my love for Disney overrides my common sense LOL!!!

Sounds like a great day even if the crowds were crazy. That food from Kona looks delicious!!

Hey! I was in MK yesterday until about 1 when we left to catch our flight home! We just missed each other. We were only there 3 nights but the crowds were starting to get to us by that last day. I was also solo in MK the night before and those probably weren’t close to the crowds you had in the evening.
We loved the weather there this week but not ideal for running for sure.
ETA dang! that blind marathon tempo!

Sounds like a great day even if the crowds were crazy. That food from Kona looks delicious!!

The food was really good. I loved the salad. It was perfect for such a hot day!

Hey! I was in MK yesterday until about 1 when we left to catch our flight home! We just missed each other. We were only there 3 nights but the crowds were starting to get to us by that last day. I was also solo in MK the night before and those probably weren’t close to the crowds you had in the evening.
We loved the weather there this week but not ideal for running for sure.
ETA dang! that blind marathon tempo!

I was at the Poly just after 1pm! I usually avoid MK around Christmas & NY, but I really wanted to see the fireworks.

I had another FP+ for Pirates, but I was done dealing with the crowds. I'm glad I experienced NYE Fireworks, but I don't think I'll ever do it again. Sometimes my love for Disney overrides my common sense LOL!!!
I did a few NYE at Disneyland when I was younger and only went to Disneyland once a year. Now with an AP, I generally prefer to avoid it on those types of days if at all possible. Basically this means I'll go if family decides to go then and invites me along, but otherwise I'm good sitting it out.

Do you spend any time stretching after your runs? Yoga? Be careful with overly tight hips & glutes - that can lead to a whole bunch of other problems and imbalances.

I'm super jealous of how close you live to Disney!!

I had enough of this stupid hip problem. My left side has been my biggest issue and this morning it was painful to touch it. I was able to get into my doctor and after an exam he thought it was bursitis. He still wanted xrays and miraculously got me into an ortho! Had xrays of the hips this afternoon and they were clean. The ortho confirmed bursitis and gave me a cortisone shot and a round of steroids because the races are next week. I have stretches I need to do before each run. He said I shouldn’t need PT as long as I’m faithful with the stretching. So the next 72 hours I’m to rest, ice and do my stretches. Bad timing, but the hardest part of my training has been done. All I can do is stay positive and hope that I heal well!

Glad you got a diagnosis and (hopefully) a solution! Now rest up, do your stretches, and heal up! I hope the healing process goes well!

2018 was an amazing year! I can’t believe how far I’ve come as a runner. I ran a total of 166.55 miles in 2017. Here are my stats for 2018!

Activities: 257
Miles: 1431.01
Time: 275:06:02

Races:
5K - 2
10K - 3
Half Marathon - 4
Virtual Half - 1

5K PR 28:58 March 2018
10K PR 56:28 November 2018
Half PR 2:13:38 April 2018

Looking forward to what 2019 has in store for me! Starting it off with a bang with my first Marathon as part of the Dopey Challenge. I couldn’t have done this without the help of @DopeyBadger. He created plans for me with lots of variety that were fun and challenging.

image1 2.jpeg
image2 2.jpeg

So the hip is feeling better. Still having some lingering tenderness in the morning when I wake up and after sitting, but not nearly as bad. I’m not strength training at all before Dopey or during recovery. After recovery I’m going to drop my strength training down to two days a week and my trainer is going to change things up to concentrate more on strengthening my hips and glutes. As much as I enjoy squatting and deadlifting I think i need other exercises. Doing that will free up more time for a BodyFlow or Yoga class on a regular basis. In addition to the cortisone shot I was given a 9 day supply of Prednisone and even though I’m taking it with food it leaves me feeling :crazy2:

I purchased race retreat for the full this morning. I decided I really would like the early access to the expo and the tent for after the race. DH purchased Platinum Chear Squad so he had a comfy place to wait after seeing me in MK. We debated having him try to go to AK after MK, but with the road closures didn’t want to risk him getting caught up in traffic jams trying to get back into Epcot. He stresses out without his tour guide wife directing him and doesn’t want to miss me crossing the finish line.

Sort of prepping for the trip. I got a new spibelt with loops for my Huma Gels. My plan is to wear that for the half with the clip on water bottles. Depending on humidity I’ll be using the spibelt or my Nathan backpack for the full. Both races I’ll be fueling with Huma Gels, PayDay bars & honey stinger waffles. I find the saltiness of the payday bar to be a welcome relief after the sweetness of the gels, electrolytes and waffles. I have not even thought about clothing beyond getting a new shirt for the full. I was wearing a brand new shirt when I PR on my half & 10K in 2018. It’s my first full so it will be an automatic PR, but I’m feeling superstitious about a new shirt giving me luck :D

I’m in corral D for the full. There are 4:30 & 4:45 pace groups in that corral. I’m debating playing leap frog with the 4:30 group. I’m feeling scared with the condition my hip is in and hoping maybe the pack mentality will help keep me moving. I’ve been training for a 4:30ish finish time, but I’ll make the final decision Saturday night after I assess how I’m feeling after the half.

So the hip is feeling better. Still having some lingering tenderness in the morning when I wake up and after sitting, but not nearly as bad. I’m not strength training at all before Dopey or during recovery. After recovery I’m going to drop my strength training down to two days a week and my trainer is going to change things up to concentrate more on strengthening my hips and glutes. As much as I enjoy squatting and deadlifting I think i need other exercises. Doing that will free up more time for a BodyFlow or Yoga class on a regular basis. In addition to the cortisone shot I was given a 9 day supply of Prednisone and even though I’m taking it with food it leaves me feeling :crazy2:

I purchased race retreat for the full this morning. I decided I really would like the early access to the expo and the tent for after the race. DH purchased Platinum Chear Squad so he had a comfy place to wait after seeing me in MK. We debated having him try to go to AK after MK, but with the road closures didn’t want to risk him getting caught up in traffic jams trying to get back into Epcot. He stresses out without his tour guide wife directing him and doesn’t want to miss me crossing the finish line.

Sort of prepping for the trip. I got a new spibelt with loops for my Huma Gels. My plan is to wear that for the half with the clip on water bottles. Depending on humidity I’ll be using the spibelt or my Nathan backpack for the full. Both races I’ll be fueling with Huma Gels, PayDay bars & honey stinger waffles. I find the saltiness of the payday bar to be a welcome relief after the sweetness of the gels, electrolytes and waffles. I have not even thought about clothing beyond getting a new shirt for the full. I was wearing a brand new shirt when I PR on my half & 10K in 2018. It’s my first full so it will be an automatic PR, but I’m feeling superstitious about a new shirt giving me luck :D

I’m in corral D for the full. There are 4:30 & 4:45 pace groups in that corral. I’m debating playing leap frog with the 4:30 group. I’m feeling scared with the condition my hip is in and hoping maybe the pack mentality will help keep me moving. I’ve been training for a 4:30ish finish time, but I’ll make the final decision Saturday night after I assess how I’m feeling after the half.
Just as a data point, my DH made his way to spectate the full at AK in 2017 and it was a very frustrating experience for him. He got there on time to see me but it probably wasn’t worth it. He was taking Disney bus transportation.
Can’t wait to hear how you do!

Just as a data point, my DH made his way to spectate the full at AK in 2017 and it was a very frustrating experience for him. He got there on time to see me but it probably wasn’t worth it. He was taking Disney bus transportation.
Can’t wait to hear how you do!

That’s what I thought! He’d be relying on the bus if he went to AK. I’d rather him be able to chill with coffee and his iPad for a couple of hours!

So glad to hear your hip is feeling a little better!

I am freaking out about the expo a little bit- I think race retreat will be nice! Hopefully it won't be too crazy when I go the afternoon of the 9th...

So glad to hear your hip is feeling a little better!

I am freaking out about the expo a little bit- I think race retreat will be nice! Hopefully it won't be too crazy when I go the afternoon of the 9th...

I’m just worried about the Dopey merchandise after last year’s fiasco and the supply shortage for Wine & Dine.

Ooooh, I love PayDays. I'm definitely going to try this for my next marathon.

I used a protein nut & chocolate bar on one of my training runs. The salt was heavenly, but the chocolate made my mouth feel pasty. Then I remembered a marathon blog post I read somewhere and she used paydays. I tried it out and it was soooooo goooooood.

Glad to hear it was nothing serious with your hip and hope you continue to feel good heading into marathon weekend.

Hip update - started a new medication to get me through Dopey. Going for a physical therapy evaluation on Monday. I was cleared to start running today, but skipped my run this morning. Once I stretch and get moving I’m feeling good, but just want to give myself one more day. I have 3 miles planned for Saturday, 2 on Monday & 1.5 on Wednesday. Not exactly the best situation going into Dopey, but I’m still looking forward to completing all the races and getting all that bling!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter