~*~ Dream ~*~ Believe ~*~ Achieve ~*~ (Comments Welcome)

Thanks for all the well wishes! I’m feeling a little better this morning.

I had a really weird race dream last night. I was late to the start, it turned into some sort of obstacle course, coach was yelling at me for going out too fast, finished in 1:45:xx and was upset because I didn’t qualify for A corral for the Princess Half.

09/17/18 - 09/23/18

10 days to go until Under the Oaks Half Marathon!
Monday - I still had a lingering cough from last week and I was tired. So very tired.
  • Plan: 4.5 mi @ EA 12:36
  • Actual: 4.61 mi @ 12:01
  • Splits: 12:17, 11:56, 12:06, 11:53, 11:44
Tuesday - I knew there was no way I was going to be able to complete the workout as scheduled. I was still fatigued and still coughing a lot. I cut the T & R portions by half.
  • Plan: 2 mi WU + 2x(2 mi @ T 9:46 w/ 3 min RI) + 4x(150m @ R 8:36) + 1 mi CD
  • Modified Plan: 2 mi WU + 1x(2 mi @ T 9:46 w/ 3 min RI) + 2x(150m @ R 8:36 + 150m RI) + 1 mi CD
  • Actual: 5.76 mi @ 11:16
  • Splits: (11:59, 11:53) + (9:51, 9:43) + ( :41, :41) + 11:52
Wednesday - OMG will this cough ever go away?
  • Plan: 4.5mi @ EA 12:36
  • Actual: 4.51 @ 11:45
  • Splits: 12:01, 11:49, 11:44, 11:33, 11:37
Thursday - I woke up and knew running wasn't happening. I felt miserable. Today was Eliana's 13th Birthday! I got the kids off to school then drove to Disney Springs. I got myself an Iced White Tea Lemonade & subbed the liquid sugar for Raspberry syrup. Sooooo gooooood. I needed to pick up some bath bombs from Basin for one of her gifts & cupcakes from Sprinkles. We went to a local restaurant for a birthday dinner. Eliana really wanted Poutine and they had it on the menu. It wasn't very good. Way too much pepper in the gravy!IMG_5041.JPG
  • Actual: nothing
Friday - If you aren't religious you may want to skip the rest of what I wrote. It was very rough in the beginning. I was just dead. I had nothing in me. My clothes were soaking wet by the end of mile 1 and was just hating life. I cried through all of mile 2 and cried and walked half of mile 3. During mile 3 "You Say" by Lauren Daigle started playing. I stopped my run, paused my watch, listened for a bit and then prayed to God. I asked him to just give me the strength to get through the last 2 miles. I set the song to play on repeat and began running. He got me through those last 2 miles on light legs and no coughing.
  • Plan: 4.5mi @ 12:36
  • Actual: 4.51mi @ 12:10
  • Splits: 12:16, 11:53, 13:19, 11:53, 10:51
Saturday - Woke up early to go to the gym to use the treadmill for today's 11 miles. It felt like I had an elephant sitting on my chest and it burned when I was breathing. Eliana was also having a slumber party so I decided to skip the run since I still had quite a bit to do and I was just so. dang. tired. It was a crazy afternoon and night. We had 10 girls here for pool, pizza, cake & pinata then 7 of those girls slept over. It was happy chaos and I don't think some of them got to sleep until 4am!

IMG_5032.JPG
  • Plan: 11mi @ 11:24
  • Actual: nothing
Sunday - Rob & I made pancakes, eggs, bacon & toast for all the girls. Everyone was gone by noon and Rob left for a business trip. My SIL was at WDW with her DH & two DS, FIL, BIL & BIL's partner so we made plans to meet up at Epcot. We had a blast as usual. We rode Mission Space, Soarin', Nemo then headed over to WS. We had dinner at Chefs de France.

Looking Ahead
It's time to start the weather prediction for the race on October 6th!

Data as of 9/26
Untitled.png

These conditions are very close to what I experienced during this years Star Wars Half in April. I'm hoping it gets just a tad cooler, but if it stays this way it won't be too bad!​

Last edited:
:bday:

Sounds like a tough week which now has a great explanation why. Thinking healing thoughts! Excited for the upcoming race!

Happy Birthday Eliana!

I'm a big believer in the power of prayer, so I'm glad to hear it helped you on Friday's run. I'm also a big believer in finding the right song to get you through a run, so all in all, it sounds you found a great way to get through what started off as a really rough run. Yay!

Happy birthday Eliana! I remember those days of staying up all night for sleepovers, definitely couldn't do it now!

Glad you are starting to feel better, and hoping and praying the weather is good for you next weekend! So funny you are coming to Georgia when I am headed to Orlando. LOL.

My dad likes to tell the story of when he ran a race with walking pneumonia. I do not recommend doing that.
Rest, heal up, and I hope you feel better soon!
That sounds like a very interesting story. Impressive and crazy.

I stopped my run, paused my watch, listened for a bit and then prayed to God. I asked him to just give me the strength to get through the last 2 miles. I set the song to play on repeat and began running. He got me through those last 2 miles on light legs and no coughing.
When all the fun of the Disneyland resort gave way to the freeway overpass and miles of non Disney stuff during my first half, I hurt. I drew tremendous strength from thinking my Mormon Pioneer ancestors who walked day after day after day for months at a time in crossing the plains from Illinois to Utah. If they could handle that substantially more difficult challenge, then surely I could not quit a race.

I'm a big believer in the power of prayer, so I'm glad to hear it helped you on Friday's run. I'm also a big believer in finding the right song to get you through a run, so all in all, it sounds you found a great way to get through what started off as a really rough run. Yay!
Ditto on all counts.

Way to get through that tough run! Praise god! I think that’s how I got through my first marathon!
There comes a point in about every race where I think of my Mormon Pioneer ancestors. Now it tends to come later than mile 4 like it did the first time, but it comes. We draw so much strength and power from faith in our lives, whatever faith we believe in.

Happy birthday Eliana!

I like how going to Disney Springs for FL locals is like going to the mall. I don't think that even if I lived close to Disneyland that I would frequent Downtown Disney that often. Unless I was craving a churro.

So I woke up yesterday feeling so much better.

This morning I feel fan-freaking-tastic.

Debating if I should take another rest day or use my inhaler and go for a run.
So... I had a running friend that had pneumonia last year (??). Not to be discouraging, but it took her a long time to recover from it.

I’m glad you are feeling great!! But I would say, maybe give yourself one extra day of feeling great to not put any more stress on your body?? I’m not a doctor, and I know if it were me, I would probably want to run also. I’m hoping you fully recover and are able to have a great race in a week!

Well....I went for a run. I was going to take it slow and go no more than three miles. I used albuterol 20 minutes before running. Legs were fine, lungs were fine, no coughing, energy was good, kept a slow pace, stopped to watch some birds, but my heart rate shot up into the 180’s again! I stopped at 2 miles. Sigh.....

Well....I went for a run. I was going to take it slow and go no more than three miles. I used albuterol 20 minutes before running. Legs were fine, lungs were fine, no coughing, energy was good, kept a slow pace, stopped to watch some birds, but my heart rate shot up into the 180’s again! I stopped at 2 miles. Sigh.....

I find albuterol does this to my heart rate, and I had to stop using it for that reason (my body tolerates pirbuterol, though). So, do not lose hope! it could well be your body is better off than you thought and the inhaler is inflating the number.

I know it's not what you wanted to have today, but I think you were very smart to monitor and shut it down when you didn't like what you were seeing. While summer colds are not even close to pneumonia, I caught one once and a wise friend cautioned me to take an extra day to rest instead of getting back out to my normal life (which did not involve running then) because getting back out there too soon could cause me to miss substantially more time than I already had.

I saw on your fall goals you mentioned "carb cycling". What's that mean?!

It’s where you rotate high and low carb days. I had a lot of success when I was lifting weights seriously a few years ago. OMG I miss my arms and shoulders. I used this program https://heidipowell.net/2713/carb-cycling-101/. I used the Classic Cycle, but with Dopey training and getting back into lifting weights again I’m going to use the Fit Cycle. I also eat more calories than they recommend for women. I can’t survive on 1200 calories on low carb days. I’ll probably bump it up to 1400 on low carb and 1700 on high carb days. I don’t want to crash and burn. The first two weeks are the hardest. I’m cranky. Reward day is my favorite day of the week. You get an extra 1000 calories!

I did not buy their book or their app. I found the info online for free (I’m cheap like that).

2169B9D7-A05F-4F52-AB03-C706B1D09E0F.gif

C039AF32-36F3-489D-A3A4-777A50AD1027.png

90D99612-D96E-49E3-BDF1-1A794E453C74.png

9/24/18 - 9/30/18

September Totals
Miles: 94.66
Time: 17:52:44
Average Pace: 11:07

I missed NINE runs in September.

5 DAYS until half marathon day.​

Monday - Ran, went to the doctor and was diagnosed with pneumonia.
  • Actual: 4.92 @ 11:51
  • Splits: 11:50, 11:55, 11:37, 11:57, 11:53
Tuesday - Rest day per doctor

Wednesday - Rest day per doctor

Thursday - Rest day per doctor.

Friday - Doctor said I could try a short run and instructed me to use the inhaler 20-30 minutes before I went out. I really don't like the way albuterol makes me feel. I planned on running no more than 3 miles, but stopped the run after two miles. My heart rate was elevated and I felt jittery.
  • Plan: 5mi @ EB 11:47 + Strides
  • Modified Plan: 3mi @ EA 12:36
  • Actual: 2.02mi @ 12:02
Saturday - Decided to not run and got more rest.

Sunday - Rest day

Looking Forward
Not sure what race day plans will look like yet. I've been checking the weather each day and it hasn't changed all that much when it comes to Temp & Dew Point. I'll be drinking extra water & electrolytes this week so I'm nice and hydrated for Saturday. I still need to decide what I'm wearing. I'm probably going to wear a running skirt, but not sure about what shirt yet. I have two new shirts I haven't worn yet that I've been saving for race day. My shoes are purple so I'm trying not to clash too much :)

3 DAYS TO GO!!!

My daughter helped me pick out my outfit. She chose dark colors because I sweat a lot (it's disgusting). She didn't want me to end up with see through clothing LOL!!! I use sweatbands to mop my face. Not very stylish, but it works. I'll wear one on my wrist until it's gross then swap it out with the other from my skirt pocket. These are getting old so they may get ditched along the course. Hair will go in a french braid. I am on the fence about using my Nathan hydration backpack or using my handheld and supplementing with course water/gatorade. Water stops are every 1.5 miles. I trained with and without the backpack over the summer. I'll probably make the decision race morning.

6H%gViS4RlCZ3eFjEdElfQ.jpg

Weather is looking decent. T+D will be in the mid to high 140's. My run this morning was a T+D of 145 and felt like such a relief after weeks of T+D 150+. This race is on a tiny island so there should be a slight ocean breeze on parts of the course. There's also shaded areas too from what I could find from photos of past races.

10 day.png
hourly.png

Goal....2:06:59...9:40 pace...for 13.1 miles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter