Dr. Google

Neapolitan Ice Cream

DIS Veteran
Ever fall back on Google for a rough diagnosis? Perhaps you take the next logical step and ask an AI service, like Perplexity? I've been known to look up symptoms on the net, and I realise how dangerous this can be!

Ever fall back on Google for a rough diagnosis? Perhaps you take the next logical step and ask an AI service, like Perplexity? I've been known to look up symptoms on the net, and I realise how dangerous this can be!
Not for a diagnosis based on symptoms I, or someone I know, is experiencing. However, I have looked up things like illnesses mentioned in tv commercials for new drugs, or what the latest Covid symptoms are, just so I can be informed. It’s difficult enough to get a correct diagnosis from an actual doctor, so I wouldn’t feel comfortable relying on Google to tell me what’s wrong.

Not the topic of this thread but I wish I could permanently disable the Google AI from appearing in search results. That crap is terrible lol

I am very bad at doing this. But also know that in the majority of cases the worst case scenario isn't likely what is going on.

One thing I hate is all the pharma adds. People see others having a great time because of the medication that is being advertised and want to ask their doctor about it, even if they do not have the underlying condition. When they do talk side effects it is often rapidly displayed or in such small print you cannot see it. I think prescription drug adds should be banned.

I think it's human nature to try and self diagnose or at least gain a greater understanding of what's going on. My worst was a few years ago. I had a mole on my calf biopsied (even though the dermatologist didn't think it was anything). While I waited on my results, I Googled all kinds of pictures to see examples of why she thought it was really nothing to worry about. The pictures supported her assessment...the subsequent test results did not...which really messed with my mind. Logic would say that my Googling led me down the wrong path and I should have given it up, but in my fear and panic, I decided that I was Googling with bias to put my mind at ease. So, I needed to Google my test results without any leading words...at least that's what I told myself. I had 3 weeks in between the phone call with my test results and my initial visit with the surgeon at the cancer hospital. You better believe Dr. Google went to work during that wait, which was only exacerbated by it being during the holidays and overly sentimental about everything. By the time I went in for that first visit, I was convinced I had about a 65% chance of survival IF we'd caught it early and that I might not be around for the holidays next year if we caught it late.

One thing I hate is all the pharma adds. People see others having a great time because of the medication that is being advertised and want to ask their doctor about it, even if they do not have the underlying condition. When they do talk side effects it is often rapidly displayed or in such small print you cannot see it. I think prescription drug adds should be banned.
I'm inclined to agree. Last time I was in the US, every other advert was for an antidepressant, showing happy people having the time of their lives. Then for the last 5 seconds, a whole REAM of disclaimers are read out, rushed and low. I find that creepy.

I agree. I want a world again where prescription meds aren't advertised on TV. My personal rule is that I can't afford medication that's advertised on TV.

Doctors use Google to look up things they are not familiar with. My primary care Doctor told me outright he had never heard of a kind of tumor that I have and was biopsied. The Cardiologist who did my ablation had never heard of it either, and of Drug Induced Lupus and I WATCHED him Google it.

No. As a librarian I have to say there is so much misinformation out there. If I were to use anything online it would be WebMD which is a legitimate medical source but as someone who has been through cancer I go to a real doctor with any concerns.

I use Duck Duck Go and I just scan down the results page
until I see the Mayo Clinic or the other more reputable websites.
But, I don't do searches often.

I have correctly self-diagnosed myself with shingles, kidney stones, and a bad gallbladder.

I've also put myself into a full blown panic attack over acid reflux.

Balance is key 🤣

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest