Does anyone else buy their Disney World souvenirs prior to even going?

Queen of the WDW Scene

It's only MY opinion, YOU decided to quote it.
I just realized that in my last few trips I've barely bought a thing at the parks but instead have bought park merch more online prior to going or after I've returned home.

Like today I saw the Minnie ear headband keychains on the ShopDisney app and instead of waiting to find them in the parks in July I bought it on ebay for the same price.

I also go on the ShopDisney website about once a month and check for new park/attraction items I may want and right now I have in my cart for purchase sometime prior to going a Dole whip headband, a WDW spirit jersey, and a Rebecca Hook Minnie ear headband necklace.

I generally do still wander the gift shops but I don't see too many items that I must have that I didn't already see online or already bought online lol.

Anyone else like me?

I don't tend to buy much that would be considered a souvenir ahead of time (unless it's something I want to wear on the trip, or ears from an instagram small shop - although I swear I've reached my limit on those!!), but my husband got me the It's a Small World LE magic band I've been eyeing, so I'll have that.

I am much more likely to regret not buying something in the parks and then buy it once I return home.

I do buy in advance but mostly for my kids. Like a small toy on sale and then give it to them before the day st the park to prevent an expensive splurge at the park. I’m eyeing tinkerbell earrings for me to be worn at the park (and at home) and buying online before going so I get them on sale...

I'm not a huge souvie shopper & I much prefer calm quiet shopping at my convenience than while hot & tired & having walked more than 6 miles day after day. So yes, I've been known to pre-buy & I've been known to pack gifts like Mickey PJs for the kids that I'll have washed & ready to wear, I leave them out to be 'discovered' while there. I've also bought fun snacks they can take into the park & enjoy, without me needing to hunt a snack down while there. This is what sets my sunglasses, t-shirts, jewelry apart from what's avail in the parks & usually gets lots of compliments because they're different. When I'm shopping at the parks, I'm specifically looking for things that are "park" specific, if its just a T-shirt with Tink on it, I can get that at Walmart or Target, it has to be unique for me to buy it at WDW. On the flipside, I'll see something at WDW that is not unique to WDW, then shop from my phone for that item. So, the $40 belly dancer belt in Morocco is now suddenly $12.50 online & can be waiting at my home to show friends when I get back home. I get lots of ideas from shopping at WDW for my next trip.

I also bought the graduation ears & plushie for DD the year she graduated high school, then we went in June as her senior trip. I didn't want to risk them not being out in June & she was able to open them as gifts at the right time.

Even more exciting is the Disney outlet store, if I can start my year long AP of multiple park visits here, I can usually load up with a years supply of t-shirts, jewelry, ears, hats, bags, shoes, jackets, sweatshirts, skirts, MB decoration, car decals, picture frames, & fridge magnets (I've purchased all of these here at one visit or another). Then shop for small filler items as found.

Last edited:

I buy things I may have a hard time packing ( breakables or items that are large ) online. But the rest I buy there - it's part of the fun.

Not often, but I totally bought the new Starbucks mugs when they were offered to avoid having to schlep them home in my luggage.
Other than that an an odd t shirt now and again, checking out the shops is a part of the fun, and asking them to ship it home for you! wish the Starbucks items were included in that service...

I don’t necessarily pre-shop as much as I buy stuff on shop Disney when I like it and then usually don’t buy much in the park. I tend to wait until there’s a decent sale. One of the things I really like to buy is mugs so it’s much less stressful to have Disney send them than for me to buy while I’m there and worry about it breaking in my suitcase (or taking up more room than I have....).

Nothing ahead for a trip!Once there I buy pins to commemorate the year of travel, the resort if first stay there and new attractions etc. that I do not have in my collection.

Even though I love to look at the Minnie ears etc. they hurt my head and t-shirts won't be worn anywhere else but at Disney so they're a no. And no, no kids to buy for anymore although I used to buy tons when son, nieces and nephews were young.

Last edited:
It depends, when I saw the Loungefly Donald Duck backpack on the Disney website, I was hesitant about waiting (even though I get DVC discount) as I was afraid of them being sold out when I got there. Good thing I did as I haven't seen them in the parks at all. But usually I shop around the park and if it's something I like, I get it. I also tend to bring additional luggage so I don't have to pay to ship it back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter