Do the cruises capture that “Disney magic”?

Can't speak to Disney magic in the parks vs. DCL. We're not hardcore "Disney People," my family likes Disney well enough, but we've never been to WDW. We cruised DCL for the first time five years ago because our older DS at 9 was all about ships; now he aspires to be a marine engineer / naval architect. Didn't think we'd like DCL, but it was such a great experience that we were hooked! Just finished cruise #4 and booked a placeholder for #5. We tend to be crowd avoiders and prefer to let vacations unfold as they happen, so planning, crowds, and lines are NOT a thing when we're on vacation... relaxation is the name of our game. That said, I can say that we've experienced little bits of Disney magic all over the place on DCL. Staff seem to anticipate your wants, servers and hosts remember you from one year to another -- we're social media friends with a few of them -- and your kids will be made to feel ridiculously special. One example: our boys were in the middle of playing the Midship Detective Agency game on our first cruise when Cinderella just randomly walked around a corner into the lobby where we were. She sat down on the floor next to them and spent about 15 minutes talking with them and asking them questions about the game and etc. Characters pop up unscheduled all over the place: on our most recent cruise in August we bumped into Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, and Goofy at random unscheduled times on the pool deck and in the hallways. The magic is not lacking. One bit of advice: As others have suggested, I'd seriously think about more than three nights. It takes a a couple of days just to get familiar with the ship.

We were in the movie theatre one afternoon on our cruise when Captain Hook and Mr. Smee came in and stood in a row. I loved it. Another time, Mickey walked along deck 4 in his vampire Halloween costume and waved at the people on the ground and on the Carnival Ship next berth over. We were in Nassau on Halloween.

Thanks for the comments and sharing so many wonderful stories. It seems unanimous. This is the kind of feedback that we were getting from friends who have been on the cruises.

I guess there is a lot to research now. I kind of enjoyed our first time in WDW, where everything was a new experience. Maybe it’s time to try something new again.

So, my next question would be, do you visit the parks for a few days first? We were thinking about taking a year off of WDW, only so that we will miss it and look forward to it more.

We did this in 2015. We had a few factors driving this:
- we had enough vacation time banked to go to the parks and cruise.
- at the time we still had no-expire passes, so there was no issue just going a couple of days. I think going to all 4 parks would’ve been a bit much for us though.
- kids were young enough that we were ok with taking them out of school (our cruise was in mid-October) for an extra few days beyond that required for the cruise.

We had a great time at the parks, so no regrets on my end.

Thanks for the comments and sharing so many wonderful stories. It seems unanimous. This is the kind of feedback that we were getting from friends who have been on the cruises.

I guess there is a lot to research now. I kind of enjoyed our first time in WDW, where everything was a new experience. Maybe it’s time to try something new again.

So, my next question would be, do you visit the parks for a few days first? We were thinking about taking a year off of WDW, only so that we will miss it and look forward to it more.
We usually do some park days either at WDW or Univeral on either end or both. I just usually feel like if I'm flying all the way to Orlando, I might as well spend some time at the parks too. Spending time at the parks takes away some of the relaxation of the trip though. Our upcoming trip, we are not doing any parks though because we don't have time and I'm okay with that too. We will be doing WDW 3 months later though so maybe that's why.

Each time I've cruised with Disney something magical happens either from cast members or characters. I believe that DCL captures more of the Disney Magic than in the parks just due the volume of people. I believe that more magic happens on longer cruises.

Last edited:

While it is certainly wise to do basic research for any future vacation, Disney cruises do not require the planning a Disney World vacation does so you don't need to do as much research. And, frankly, doing too much research will take away some of the surprises for you. I regret several of the videos I watched on youtube because I would have liked to experience certainly aspects for the first time on the ship itself.

Personally, I would choose doing a five-night or, better, a seven-night Disney cruise over a few days at the parks and a three-night Disney cruise. I did a 4-night cruise/3-day parks trip many years ago and it was very rushed, lots of sensation, no time to process it. Everyone, especially the children, were a lot happier with our follow-up 7-night.

While it is certainly wise to do basic research for any future vacation, Disney cruises do not require the planning a Disney World vacation does so you don't need to do as much research. And, frankly, doing too much research will take away some of the surprises for you. I regret several of the videos I watched on youtube because I would have liked to experience certainly aspects for the first time on the ship itself.

Hmm. Great point. Although part of the fun of WDW vacations is the planning, it would be nice to relax and take everything in as it comes.

I am in NJ, and noticed that there are a lot of ships sailing out of NY. That is certainly an attractive option if we decide to skip the parks.

Hmm. Great point. Although part of the fun of WDW vacations is the planning, it would be nice to relax and take everything in as it comes.

I am in NJ, and noticed that there are a lot of ships sailing out of NY. That is certainly an attractive option if we decide to skip the parks.

Some of the NY itineraries actually include a day at the parks - including transportation and 1 day park hoppers.

Planners gonna plan. I always think I’m not going to plan much when it comes to a cruise. I’m always wrong. It’s never as much as a WDW trip, mind you, and it’s not about what one must do, but it’s about what to do when it comes to going onshore and watching shows and such.

We felt that the cruise gives you more magic than the parks, however it doesn't contain some of the historical nostalgia that the parks give. Our saying is that in the parks you look for the magic, on the cruise the magic looks for you. You can't escape it, even if you tried.

The only way the parks could recapture the magic for me the way the ships now do would be to only allow about half the people they currently do on a "slow day". I remember a time when you could walk up to a character and talk to them. Now you have to wait in a line like it's a ride. The food was never good in the parks but at least it was fast. Now you have to wait in a line like a ride.

The parks have also gotten very expensive. I wanted to see how much more our upcoming 14 night cruise was costing versus a 6 night 7 day in the parks in our favorite hotel (Port Orleans) only to find out it would cost about the same! Now, I know we could do a budget trip to the parks (stay off property and bring in our own food), but I like to feel a little spoiled on vacation. I'd rather do that less frequently than try to economize (like I do every day in real life) and vacation yearly.

I would say that you've done your research already. Our first cruise was on the Magic in it's inaugural year (almost 20 years ago!!). There was "nothing" to look up - you know back in the dark ages before the internet. We survived that cruise!!

My best advice is in contrast to what you have already read here ...
  1. Magic Happens ... but it is NOT the same for EVERYONE. NO One gets to experience ALL of the cool experiences that you read about (not enough time for EVERYTHING to happen to you). Remember, it is NOT all about YOU and your family ... we have all paid a lot of money to go on a Disney cruise. The Magic is NOT a scavenger hunt where you make a list and hunt it down ... it comes to you in the unexpected times ... serendipity!!
  2. Real life happens. All of the best laid plans can go up in flames in an instant. Disney's first job (well after making boat loads of money that is) is your safety. The ships will divert and change itineraries as needed (weather, local disturbances, mechanical issues, etc). If something intervenes and throws a monkey wrench into your plans, try to go with the flow. Remember anyone that you can complain to and/or berate --- has absolutely NO power to change the weather, change where the ship is going etc. They are there to try and help you make adjustments to your plans and still provide an excellent (to use a Disney term) experience.
OK I am off of my soapbox and done with being "Disney Debbie Downer"

party:
Now for the GOOD Stuff...

The Three Primary Rules of a DCL Cruise
  1. The :sunny:Sun:sunny: is NOT the same as where you live (usually) - Apply Sunscreen and Reapply Frequently (Bahamian and Caribbean cruises)
  2. You can NOT Eat it all ... but it is time to try some foods outside of your comfort zone. If you don't like it, they will bring you something else (no additional fee)
  3. The hardest part of a DCL cruise is deciding what NOT to do! You can NOT do it all ... but sleep is for AFTER the cruise!
and now a bunch of random stuff that I've learned over the course of 20 DCL cruises
  • Planning - it's NOT the same as a WDW trip - ie: you don't have to decide when and where you are eating 6 months in advance
  • You should look at what port adventures DCL is offering for the ports that you are visiting. Then decide if you want to do any of those, tour independently, or stay on the ship
  • The Golden Rule of Cruising: Don't Miss the Ship. Know in every port what time it is (on the ship vs local time - sometimes they are different :earseek:) and know when the All Aboard time is (ships time). You can write a note to the captain letting him / her know that you will be arriving after the all aboard time and telling him to wait for you! (it's been done, and guess what, the Captain did NOT wait!! :rolleyes1 )
  • There are three main dining rooms onboard and two assigned dinner seating's and you will be assigned a dinning room, time and table number. The great thing about DCL is your time and table number remain the same, as do your Serving Team ... but your dining room will change from night to night. On 2 night and longer cruises you will be assigned a dinning rotation and will be scheduled to visit each MDR (Main Dining Room) at least once during your cruise. Some people are concerned as to what rotation they are on (they have their own reasons - I don't get it), but just let Disney assign it and you will be fine.
  • Don't be surprised OR afraid of sharing a table with other people!! It sounds like DCL is moving towards more smaller tables (which is a shame in my opinion). We've never looked at our tablemates as strangers - but as potential friends. It takes me a couple of nights to learn everyones names (I'm horrible at this, thank goodness my wife can remember names). But by the time the first dinner is over with, we are no longer "strangers". One of the benefits of tablemates is that usually you and they will be doing different things during the day - on ship or on shore. We've enjoyed hearing about the others day and experiences.
  • Room stewards - you will have one, that will take care of your room. It's NOT the same as housekeeping at a hotel. These hard working people will be in your room a couple of times a day cleaning up in the mornings (housekeeping), turn down service in the evenings (final cleaning and with fun stuff and the next days personal navigator and advertisements).
  • This leads to the somewhat touchy topic of tipping (gratuities). The nasty cruise secret is that the cruise lines do NOT include much in the way of wages / salary for your Serving Team (Head Waiter ("manager"), Server and Assistant Server) and your room steward. Most cruise lines - DCL included - have gone to an automatic gratuity charged to your room for EVERY Person (yes including your 1 year old!) per "night" of your cruise. DCL has not increased this amount for many, many years. You can make adjustments to the amount for a given server or steward. It might seem like a lot, but it's not. Your serving team is working at breakfasts, lunches, "fast food" / Buffets, and other events throughout the day, every day. You do NOT leave a tip after every meal you have - like on land.
  • EXCEPT - for any drink that carries a charge - DCL automatically adds 18% - so items from any of the bars - including soda (which you can get for free at the self service stations on the pool deck). Smoothies also get the auto gratuity. Buying a case of water onboard, 18% is added. BUT Soda's at Dinner and Lunch (sit down or buffet) are free!
  • Back to the "Magic" - it's been a rare crew member that would not smile at you, wave or even stop and make small talk with you. This includes the "Scrape, Paint and Varnish" crews that you will see working out on deck all day keeping the ship - Ship Shape. As you walk by them you might even hear a familiar Disney tune being whistled ... while they work. For some reason, this always brings a smile to my face.
  • Kids Clubs - and I as a 60 year old say - NO FAIR!!! these spaces look like a LOT OF FUN!! and I want to PLAY!! (note: I am NOT a creeper!). DCL has started having "Open House" times where families come together in the same club to play. I've tended to NOT go ... because I don't have any young kids at this point in my life ... and I don't want people to think that I'm a creeper!! But I have gone when they have had Adults time in the clubs (usually on cruises of MORE than 7 nights, and on cruises where the kid count is pretty small - Panama Canal, Northern Europe, Transatlantic...) But I digress ... most of the kids LOVE the clubs and it's hard to get them out. There are some kids that don't like them (what's wrong with them anyway :teeth:) The younger teenagers seem to like the Vibe - because they are "grown up" and the older teens seem to be pretty apathetic about it. Regardless, all of the kids (from age 4 through 18) should go to the clubs the first evening. They get to know one another and find out about the program. And a final note: if your child turns 18 on the cruise, as a "birthday present" they get locked out of the club because they have legally become an adult.
  • One of the biggest complaints about ANY cruise ship is the elevators! I say, just say NO! Take the stairs. We almost always take the stairs (and we usually stay on deck 2). The advantages of climbing the stairs is that you get to eat more desserts, and will usually arrive quicker than by elevator. And the stairways are decorated with some pretty cool art!
  • Speaking of Art - if you are on the Fantasy, visit the Mens AND Womens restrooms in Europa (its best if you take the art of the ship tour ;)) The Murals in the restrooms are pretty amazing. I don't remember if they are that cool on the Dream.
  • For the main shows in the Walt Disney Theater - these are at the opposite times of the main and late dining, unless you want to be in the front row, you don't have to be there 30 minutes early. There are plenty of seating for everyone ... well except for Frozen - where families will skip dinner to see it twice! Maybe the same for Beauty and the Beast. And Tangled. (different ships, different featured shows)
  • The "inbetween" shows / activities - those between the dinner seatings are usually a lot of fun - and for the last very many years, not very well attended for some reason. So usually easy to get a good seat in the venue.
  • Reserving Seats: only for the 1 or 2 people in your group that are running late - of hitting the restroom. Otherwise, just say NO. Same with the pool chairs. Don't go up at 7am and put your stuff on a chair to claim for the day - it don't work that way.
  • Look at the Navigator that they give you in the Cruise Terminal on Embarkation day - it will give you an overview of when things are happening throughout the cruise, and look for items that might require a ticket (princess gathering) - find out when and where to get your ticket, if you were unable to pre reserve online before your cruise (not everything can be prebooked). Speaking of the Navigator, download the DCL Navigator app to your phone BEFORE you leave home. Once onboard it will give you the detailed daily activity list. You can also use it to text each other. and to peruse dinner menus (but you can just wait for dinner time :thumbsup2)
  • Another Planning item - actually you need to know this before / while you are booking: what type of room do you want? Inside (least expensive), Oceanview (porthole), Veranda (enclosed, white wall, Plexiglas wall), suite or concierge (OMG I can do 17 cruises for this price:earseek:). Then Forward, Midship or Aft. Type of room primarily determines the cost, followed by location, location, location. Also time of year (September has some pretty low rates - kids just back to school and hurricanes vs Christmas, New Years, 4th of July, summer in general)
  • Last thing for now - I didn't know how rough cruising would be on my fingernails - they got pretty trashed as they were dragging me off of the ship at the end of the cruise. They kept saying that there were other people that wanted to board ... but I really didn't care!!

There's probably (I know there is) more to let you know about but I'm tired of typing right now

Bottom Line - Have Fun (and take a 4 night vs 3 night cruise - AFTER visiting WDW - it cuts down on the sadness of leaving "the world")

3 "Nights" on a cruise
Day - Night 1: Get to the Cruise Terminal, Board ship between 1 & 4pm, unpack, dinner, evening activities
Day - Night 2: Do stuff all day / night
Day - Night 3: Do stuff, PACK UP, dinner, evening, I've got to be up WHEN tomorrow morning?!!!!!
Day 4 - off of the ship by 9am

So 1/2 day, full day, 3/4 of a day (2.25 days of fun)

4 "Night" cruise
Add another Do Stuff ALL day / night (so two of these vs one)
day 5: off of the ship by 9am

so 1/2 day, 2 full days, 3/4 of a day (3.25 days of fun)

Last edited:
I am hoping to get some opinions about our next trip, and this board has always delivered great advise.
We’ve done Disney for the past 6 years and are considering a Disney cruise. We are thinking a few days at the parks, then a 3 day cruise. Every other "Disney family" that we’ve talked to has great things to say about the cruises...but, still, I’m nervous about switching it up. Every time we go to WDW, there are magical moments that we experience as a family. Little things that just mean so much to us. It’s not so much because of the rides or attractions, but because of the environment.
I was wondering if the cruises capture that Disney Magic like WDW does.
Our first cruise was a 7 night Mexican Riviera in August 2008. Our 14th is scheduled for January 2019. Half of them with out the kids. We have had several "magical moments" on every cruise we've gone on. The parks are fun, and we have a great time when we go, but the cruises are always so much less stressful and we actually spend more time together. Both of the days that in our family are known as "the funnest days ever" have been on cruises.

We did our “once in a lifetime Disney Cruise” in 2013. I love the parks and was excited about it but thought that would be it. We did a four night and seriously my kids were all crying when we had to get off the ship they loved it so much. Begged to go back. We’ve now done 4 cruises!

Just wanted to share an example of magic. As everyone says the way you are doted on and the relationship you develop with the wait staff is magic. This trip my 7 yr old wore her princess dress and crown to dinner for semi formal night. When we walked into the dining room all the waiters starting applauding her and our assistant waiter bowed to her and escorted her to the table. Pure magic! The previous cruise Tiana know my daughter by name before the last day. So so special!

As to your question about parks. The longer the cruise you can afford the better. 3 is way too short. 4-5 is better. 7 is ideal. I’d go for the longer cruise over a day or two at the parks with a shorter cruise any day.

• Kids Clubs - and I as a 60 year old say - NO FAIR!!! these spaces look like a LOT OF FUN!! and I want to PLAY!! (note: I am NOT a creeper!). DCL has started having "Open House" times where families come together in the same club to play. I've tended to NOT go ... because I don't have any young kids at this point in my life ... and I don't want people to think that I'm a creeper!!
FWIW, every time I was exploring the kids clubs during open house, my kid was nowhere near me. You wouldn't stand out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter