Disneyworld waste of money article

I’m not sure how you can judge a place you have never been. If she had been and decided she hated it, I could respect that. But to decide its not worth the money, but you have never been is crazy.

Our family went in August and will be going back soon. For us, it was magical. Not that we didn’t have meltdowns, by the kid and the parents. But overall we really enjoyed our time there as a family. But I know not everyone has the wonderful time we had. But to just decide it is a waste because you haven’t gone is crazy.

The author mentioned that there are better theme parks to go to cheaper like cedar point. Well here's a comparison of a 4 night stay in June with a 3 day ticket. CP= $2156 and WDW=$1885. The CP hotel was the hotel breakers standard room and the WDW one was all star music standard. The price is for my family, 2 adults and 2 kids over 10.

Oh where do you even begin with this?... It gave me a good laugh! First off kids having meltdowns happens everywhere... does she not grocery shop? The thousands of dollars spent on Disney vacations that would be more beneficial to invest for your child's college could be said of any type of vacation. The you better do your research or you run the risk of being disappointed with the rides was my favorite. lol I personally think she is just bitter because her brother got to go to Disney World and she didn't. :laughing: It's not too late, I think she should make her parents take her.:rotfl:

She sounds selfish to me. Many of us know that a trip to WDW might be more exhausting than drinking frozen drinks on a beach while the kids play, but it’s often a sacrifice we make for them.

I read the title and rolled my eyes. Then when I read she had never even been to Disney I almost stopped reading. I disagree wholeheartedly with the article. Life’s too short to let these moments with my children pass me by...I want to take them and experience it all because when we are older I want us to be able to look back at the memories...sure we’ve had our share of Disney tantrums but I can’t think of anyone who has a toddler who hasn’t...for us it’s worth it all!

She sounds like a joy to be around! If you go in what attitude, you aren't going to enjoy everything that WDW has to offer - of course, she hasn't even been there so I'd suggest she never sets foot on property because she won't enjoy it. I get that WDW is "expensive" but when you compare it to many, many other vacation destinations around the world, you'll find that it doesn't cost much more - especially for what's included. A lot of people think Disney = Expensive - many of them don't do any research to find out what it actually costs. You can spend $10,000 or you can spend $3,000 - and still be able to "go to WDW". All depends on what you are looking for.

Stupid article. Love how she's never even been there.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to start on some new articles and stories, some of which include "What it feels like to give birth", "The pros and cons of owning your own private island", and "I've discovered the cure for cancer-but how much should I charge for it?"

I have personally experienced none of those things, but I am SURE I can bring some good information and intuitive insights to the articles to make them newsworthy.

This really is a self centered person. Take you kids camping? That would be the last vacation my daughter would ever go with me on and as to surfing or skiing? Nah it takes negotiating to get my girl on Splash Mountain. I assume she has no kids because the 1st time I ever saw my daughter look at the castle, everything was worth it. I have taken my daughter 4 times and a fifth time is coming up and she still loves it, another reason at 17 she has her friends and other interests but she will cheerfully spend several day with me in the parks..... still totally worth it.

Not only has she never been, but the photo on the front page of the "article" is from Disneyland PARIS. I have no problem substituting the locale "Disney World" for any other vacation spot in the world that one has never been to and still proclaiming the writer an idiot.

What a dumb article. I'm not sure how you can even compare camping and WDW? They are two completely different things - both valid ways to spend your vacation but entirely not the same thing.

LOL - sad thing is we all clicked on that dumb article ....hopefully she doesn't gain from views. RE: Food. I can tell you we have two Six Flags near us in the North East, and we've been to Hershey Park a few times. Food prices aren't much different and Quality is absolutely NOT better. My opinion is Disney has far better options for quality food. Camping - thanks but no thanks, if there is no WIFI, my kids would kill me in my sleep. And for someone to qualify an opinion that there are better options, you need to have experienced it. I agree there are many wonderful places in the world to visit, and if you have the means, then definitely try them. But try to convince my 8 YO that Stonehenge isn't just a bunch of rocks lined up in a circular pattern. After 5 minutes, he's all set with it, and what would come out of his mouth would be "Dad okay when are we going on the Stonehenge Revenge of the Druids Ride". My response would immediately be "Sorry, but I couldn't get a FP+ for it and there's a 360 minute wait"...

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read. The author could at least pretend to have a clue. :sad2:

Like others have said, I could respect the author if they actually went and had a bad time or if their reasons were Disney specific, but most of their reasons are subjective, vague, and could be applied to any theme park or expensive trip.

"1. There are better theme parks"

"For instance, there’s Cedar Point, the roller coaster capital boasting 18 roller coasters and 71 rides. And the cost? Less than $60 for the day. Other noteworthy parks that are still cheaper than Disney include Six Flags Great Adventure, Hersheypark, and Knott’s Berry Farm to name a few."

1. I should take your word for it because you are totally in an objective position to make that very subjective call, seeing as you've visited each of the parks. Oh wait, no, you haven't!
  2. I have been to multiple different six flags, and there is no way I would ever consider Six Flags better.
  3. In addition, these other parks are better for who? If you are a coaster aficionado, I'll concede. Cedar Point is for you. Disney isn't known for its coasters. Cedar Point is. However, I doubt a 3, 4 , or 5 year old child will find the 18 roller coasters and other thrill rides as appealing as Disney.

"2. Do I really need to explain a $12 hot dog?"

1. Ok, I'll give her this one. It does seem like the food at Disney is more expensive than at other theme parks, and I don't see the quality as being that much better. But overall, it's a small inconvenience.

"3. You can invest that money into a college fund"

1. Ummm??? So the answer to this is don't take a vacation ever? The same could be said about the money spent on any trip.

"4. Your kids will have just as much fun camping"

1. I don't know that most people would agree with this statement.
  2. Yes, we enjoy camping, but I only know one older grouchy adult in the family who would choose camping over Disney.
  3. And why choose? Wecould always do both. I bet the author missed the memo that Disney has a campground, seeing how they've never been before!

"5. Disney is an environmentalist’s nightmare"

1. Good thing I'm not an environmentalist. Poor author would come apart if she knew how much we enjoy Sea World.
  2. But seriously, you usually don't go into a vacation thinking, how can I save the planet?

"6. Disney World is not the pinnacle vacation"

"For the price of spending one week at Disney, you could spend a week exposing yourself and your children to an entirely different country, learn how to ski, or even pick up surfing. These are the experiences that last a lifetime. Learning a potential new hobby that can be enjoyed for a lifetime is well-worth avoiding a week at Disney."

1. Uhh??? Says who?
  2. First, my upcoming Disney trip all total is coming in at the same cost as what I've paid for plane tickets alone visiting other countries, so not sure how they are figuring it is cheaper to go abroad.
  3. Secondly, I didn't realize I had to choose between hobbies and Disney. Interesting, I guess I missed that memo.

"7. Your children will have a meltdown"

1. Maybe the author's badly behaved children would have a melt down, but a little presumptuous to assume everyone's kids will.
  2. We went for a week when the kids were younger, not one melt down the whole trip. Did have a couple of meltdowns at a few of these other parks, the author is praising so highly though. Hmm.

"8. Many of the rides are disappointing"

1. Which rides were disappointing? Oh wait. That's right. You haven't been. You used your crystal ball to foresee that people you don't know will be disappointed by rides you know nothing about.
  2. And of course there are no other vacation spots or theme parks that have any attractions that ever disappoint anyone.

9. Don’t pay thousands to torture yourself
"If you dread the idea of walking past the candy aisle at the grocery store with your children, the last thing you need to do is take them to Disney World. Besides that, if your dream of an ultimate family vacation is sitting on a beach in Costa Rica watching the kids play in the waves and build sand castles while you sip on some sort of frozen fancy cocktail, you should do that instead. "

1. Good thing I don't dread the candy aisle. Maybe if the author had better parenting skills, she wouldn't be afraid of her kids whining to buy things.
  2. And Costa Rica isn't my dream vacation, so I still think I'm good. I wonder if the author's even been to Costa Rica. It's funny how she thinks that is everyone's ideal trip. Luckily, I have family in Central America, so we can do Costa Rica whenever we want and still go to Disney. What a thought!

I have to say...I started salivating a little at that $12 hot dog photo. I usually stick my nose in the air and walk quickly past Casey's. Last trip, my brother and his family joined us from the UK and what's more American than a hot dog? Anyway, he asked for a hot dog so a few of us ended up getting hot dogs too. I am still dreaming of that foot long chilli cheese dog. There's nowhere near me to get one (that I know of) and when I tried to itch the craving with hot dogs from Costco, they were just OK. Casey's Corner is now on my must-do list for my next trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts