Disneyland vs. Disney World

We first visited Disneyland in 2002 and had 2 lovely weeks there and made the most of it because we never thought we would be back again.In 2004 we went back again, but this time for 4 weeks and we loved it, we visited the parks almost every day (apart from a 5 day trip to Grand Canyon and Vegas).
Last year we decided on a change and we went to Orlando for 2 weeks...big mistake... we didn't like it!!! though we did really enjoy Discovery Cove.
We found that (as a non driver) it was very hard to get around in Orlando, we stayed at LBV and if we didn't get the Mears bus first thing in the morning, then we had to take a taxi to DD to get a Disney bus to a Disney hotel and then get another bus to whatever park we wanted to visit, so we spent 2 weeks either waiting for a bus or riding on one.
I always find that when we visit Disneyland, it's more "intimate" there and you get more attention from the CM's whereas, at WDW you are just another body in the park.The residents of California are much more friendly than in Orlando as well and we are always made to feel very welcome.
Even though California is a 2 hour longer flight than Orlando (takes 11 and a half hours to LAX) we think of it as "home" and will be back again for 18 nights in july.
Love Ella

Did DLR January 2006 and WDW Nov 2004.

They were both great, but different.

I found that the WDW we were more immersed in Disney (even though we stayed off site). I also found the Orlando area less "stressful" in terms of traffic, and having green space. As my first time to Florida, I enjoyed the setting. At DLR, I found it much more difficult to get around (airport to hotel, etc.) and felt more like the park was in the middle of a very large city (which it is).

Having said that, I found that many of the attractions as DLR were better done than at WDW. For example, Pirates at DLR - I really felt like I was outside in a Bayou at night whereas as WDW I remember looking up and seeing a "black drop ceiling".

DLR is closer for us and a little cheaper, but I think next time we will go to WDW.

keishashadow said:
How do you compare the on-site hotels?

Familiar w/most of the WDW ones & DVC but, clueless as to DL's properties.

Know that the off-site properties are close & nice but, would want to utilize some DVC points on-site.

We stayed at the DLH in December--felt similar to WDW's Contemporary. Lovely grounds, great pool, proximity to DL/DCA couldn't be beat--plus the walk through DTD to the parks was a bonus. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Grand Californian looks lovely--would like to try that, too.
The thing about DL's properties is they are RIGHT THERE--meaning you don't have to take a shuttle to get to them, lots of people are streaming around them, they're very convenient, lively. Different feel to them than WDW's properties, which are more like resort oases amidst the magic. DL's resorts are very much in the heart of the magic.
:sunny:

Thanks, always magical to stay on site but, being that close would seem to take it up a notch.:teeth:

The exterior of the Grand Calif reminds me of the Wilderness Lodge.
Is DLH the one w/the Peter Pan/pirate ship pool area - looks fun?

DisneyDotty said:
We stayed at the DLH in December--felt similar to WDW's Contemporary. Lovely grounds, great pool, proximity to DL/DCA couldn't be beat--plus the walk through DTD to the parks was a bonus. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Grand Californian looks lovely--would like to try that, too.
The thing about DL's properties is they are RIGHT THERE--meaning you don't have to take a shuttle to get to them, lots of people are streaming around them, they're very convenient, lively. Different feel to them than WDW's properties, which are more like resort oases amidst the magic. DL's resorts are very much in the heart of the magic.
:sunny:

keishashadow said:
Thanks, always magical to stay on site but, being that close would seem to take it up a notch.:teeth:

The exterior of the Grand Calif reminds me of the Wilderness Lodge.
Is DLH the one w/the Peter Pan/pirate ship pool area - looks fun?

Yep--DLH has the Peter Pan pool. Very nice. :sunny:

Ella1 said:
We first visited Disneyland in 2002 and had 2 lovely weeks there and made the most of it because we never thought we would be back again.In 2004 we went back again, but this time for 4 weeks and we loved it, we visited the parks almost every day (apart from a 5 day trip to Grand Canyon and Vegas).

Wow--2/4 weeks at Disneyland! :cloud9: I would be in heaven... pixiedust:

Disneydotty,
we could have done with staying a bit longer!!!!...lol. we love it there and as we have nothing like it over here and its such a long flight, we need to stay for a couple of weeks at least to make it worthwhile for us.
Looking forward to our 18 days in July.
Love Ella

And I enjoyed reading all of the things that people love about *both* parks.

Since my DD is young, age 4, I think DL offers more rides for her -- you have Alice, the Casey Jr Train, Pinoccio, and Storybook boats in DL. In CA you have the rides in the Bug area that the pre-schoolers love, and another carousel. CA also has the Sun Wheel.

WDW has 2 shows that DL lacks: The Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast -- both excellent.

DL is much, much, much easier to park hop and get in and out of the parks for a well needed nap. WDW is just a huge ordeal to get in and out of MK and often DD slept in the stroller (and I didn't get a nap at all).

I love them both and am glad I get to visit both. Our next stop is DL!

I have to vote for Disneyland............It is our "home" and I always miss it and we talk about going to the "happy place" whenever we have a bad day!

Each has it's own magic that's for sure! We have enjoyed all of our time at any park. People do not always "get it" and ask why we go to Disney so much. The answer is always the same.....it is magical.

I can also say each time we have been to WDW, we always feel we cheat on Disneyland and book a quick trip to DL soon after!

I love WDW for all of the options you have and never having to leave the resort during the vacation. There is sooo much to do and see. They also have a better Splash Mtn! The other advantage to going to WDW is we have always added a trip on DCL and that is the best!!!! Wish we would get a ship full time out here soon!

They say home is where the heart is. In that case, DL is most definetely my home. I'm truly happiest there. I've been to WDW and would love to go back, but if I was told I could only visit one or the other ever again, it would be DL all the way. If I never could go there again, I'd miss too many people. For me, DL isn't so much about the rides/attractions, but about the people (CMs mostly) I see every time I go. I wear one of the name badges that guest can buy and I get asked all the time if I work there. I joke that "I don't work here, I just live here." I wish I could live there (I could be very content with an air mattress in one of the boxes in the Golden Horseshoe).

Disneyland is my home, but I was really excited to go to WDW in November and I am still shocked at how disapointed I was! I really disliked the Magic Kingdom. The other parks were interesting and we enjoyed them. I am glad we went, not sure we will go back, but very glad to be home!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter