Disneyland Resorts Marvel expansion opens July 18th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately classic disney doesn’t sell like newer Disney.

Unfortunately that doesn't change the way I feel about all of this.

And by "sell" are we talking park tickets? Merchandise? I think the 7DMT attracted a fair number of park guests. And I hear that BOG continues to pack people in.

And by "sell" are we talking park tickets? Merchandise? I think the 7DMT attracted a fair number of park guests. And I hear that BOG continues to pack people in.
Neither bring in the numbers (merch and other things) like Star Wars or marvel right now. I’d love a good mix of things but right now the focus is incorporating properties that previously did not exist in the parks.

There will be two new attractions. A Spider-Man and then avengers attraction. The rumors suggested a coaster as well.

The official announcement absolutely does NOT announce two new attractions. Read it again. It says "The Guardians of the Galaxy will be joined by Spiderman and The Avengers in what will become a completely immersive Super Hero Universe, furthering the evolution of California Adventure Park. This new land will be anchored by the popular Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout, in the space that is currently occupied by a bug's land." It then calls the land a "heroic experience."

That's all they said. No mention of any actual attractions.

The official announcement absolutely does NOT announce two new attractions. Read it again. It says "The Guardians of the Galaxy will be joined by Spiderman and The Avengers in what will become a completely immersive Super Hero Universe, furthering the evolution of California Adventure Park. This new land will be anchored by the popular Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout, in the space that is currently occupied by a bug's land." It then calls the land a "heroic experience."

Disney announced at D23 there would be two experiences based on the avengers and spider man. We just don’t know what they will be yet.

Disney announced at D23 there would be two experiences based on the avengers and spider man. We just don’t know what they will be yet.
Disney has also filled patents for a Spider-Man like expirence that are is rumored to be coming with this expansion. There are also rumors of a captain America themed Tron type coaster.

Experience can mean anything. It can mean a character meal. This would have been their chance to announce actual attractions, and they did hint that there will be actual RIDES at the Paris and Hong Kong lands.

With a 2 year timeline, my guess is no actual rides here. Maybe a movie or VR type experience. Definitely not a coaster this go round. They can't build a coaster to be done in 2 years.

Neither bring in the numbers (merch and other things) like Star Wars or marvel right now. I’d love a good mix of things but right now the focus is incorporating properties that previously did not exist in the parks.
Well, I'm sure Disney still has some soft spot for their classics. I mean, it's not like Marvel and Star Wars is replacing the classics like Pinocchio, Fantasia, or other classic favorites.

Disney has also filled patents for a Spider-Man like expirence that are is rumored to be coming with this expansion. There are also rumors of a captain America themed Tron type coaster.

They filed patents but that doesn't mean those rides are coming to DCA. They could be going in the other overseas parks.

Experience can mean anything. It can mean a character meal. This would have been their chance to announce actual attractions, and they did hint that there will be actual RIDES at the Paris and Hong Kong lands.

With a 2 year timeline, my guess is no actual rides here. Maybe a movie or VR type experience. Definitely not a coaster this go round. They can't build a coaster to be done in 2 years.
No hunting for Hong Kong and Paris those expansions were announced in full a while ago.

There will be actual rides here. Disney can surprisingly build in 2 years when they want to.

They filed patents but that doesn't mean those rides are coming to DCA. They could be going in the other overseas parks.
None of the overseas parks are getting Spider-Man attractions as far as we know.

No hunting for Hong Kong and Paris those expansions were announced in full a while ago.

There will be actual rides here. Disney can surprisingly build in 2 years when they want to.

Not enough space in Bugs Land. Have you seen how small it is? No way a coaster goes there.

And I think this will be a summer or late 2020 opening for the first part and they did state it would open in phases.

The wording that the land will be "anchored" by Mission Breakout is telling. That term means that the tower will be the land's major ride. Like malls have "anchor stores" which are the major stores that bring people to the mall. Everything else is just filler.

I do remember hearing all the rumors of what this land would include, but that was before some significant budget cuts, from my understanding. I'll honestly be surprised if this land is anything more than re skinned kiddie rides.

Disney has been looking for years how to better attract the attention of boys ages 4-30. It's never had a problem drawing girls in that demographic. Buying Marvel and Star Wars helped them reach an untapped/underutilized market segment. They would be foolish not to exploit every advantage in using them to recoup the purchase money and build on company profit.

Is classic Disney getting a lot of attention these days? Perhaps not, but one could also argue that if those IPs were going to be large draws for the parks, they would also be developed.

The wording that the land will be "anchored" by Mission Breakout is telling. That term means that the tower will be the land's major ride. Like malls have "anchor stores" which are the major stores that bring people to the mall. Everything else is just filler.

I do remember hearing all the rumors of what this land would include, but that was before some significant budget cuts, from my understanding. I'll honestly be surprised if this land is anything more than re skinned kiddie rides.
Believe what you want but I don’t see anyway there aren’t physical rides with this expansion.

If only WDW could get something besides Guardians of the Galaxy ...
Silly Universal contract. As much as I liked the Spider Man ride at Island of Adventure, the rest of the land just feels "cheesy" and just normal theme park rides with a comic book paint job :(.

They had Dr. Strange and Star Lord doing meet and greets at the Race Retreat for the Marathon this year. So between that and Epcot's Guardians ride I think its a matter if not when we get Marvel proper on the East Coast.

The thing is BOG and 7DMT are based on classic movies. There popular because everyone knows them. Most people kids and adults know the movies.

Bug's Life? Not so much. My generation would since it came out when I was a kid but depending on the person and their family the likelihood they've seen Bug's Life probably decreases. Especially if they're not really into Disney. Heck I know some adults who are into Disney don't know what Bug's Life is. Like it or not Bug's Life really doesn't fit as a classic popular movie.

We've been talking about this on the DL board. I think they will re-use the theater for a Marvel themed show to get an attraction with no height requirement, and that there will be one other ride put in, that probably won't be a roller-coaster, but maybe a simulator type thing. Those are just my guesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!