Disneyland Paris A Few Years Later (Photo/Trip report)

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Earning My Ears
It had been a few years since I visited Disneyland Paris both parks. When I visited things did not look good for the resort. Now Disney owns the resort and operates it. There has been a lot of work done to maintain it and there are some big plans to expand and revamp it.

I wanted to come back one last time before these changes started to happen. The first park I went to was the park that is known for being the worst Disney park in the world, Walt Disney Studios.

DSC01285.JPGJust like Hollywood Studios in Orlando this park is a mish mash of themes and looks with an origin as a "movie studios park". Hollywood Studios feels a lot more grand and welcoming and is receiving two new lands to help it feel a bit more complete. One theme that sets this one aside from all other Disneyparks is the parking lot look that it has to a few of it areas. It is very understandable that Disney are planning to revamp this whole area of the park soon and make it a Marvel themed land. It looked bad a few years ago and it still looks bad. You go for the rides and leave. There is nothing to interest or captivate you in this area. It is like a passage with the feel of emptiness.

DSC01287.JPG
Armageddon was not only a bad movie. The attraction to the movie is bad as well. The only amazing thing about it is that it still operates even though most young people who visit the park today haven't seen the movie or even herd about it. Tower Of Terror looms over the park remind people that themes do blend. It has netting and tarps around it to keep pieces from the decaying facade not to fall down on people. Work on is being done finally. I just hope the can refurb without revamping it to anything that has to do with Marvel.

DSC01288.JPG
From the front the building looks great. By adding a few building I can see how this area could be turned into a great Buena Vista styled land/street.

DSC01290.JPG
When it comes to food Walt Disney Studios is a nightmare. Over 50 Usd to feed 4 persons with the amount of pasta that would satisfy 1. The whole park only has a few real options. There was a drive to sell Marvel themed burgers with red buns. The burgers was ok even though the red bun was a bit stale, but the price for it is a reason to why you see many families feeding their children food brought from home or the supermarket in the park. If the food was as expensive as it is but a bit more tasting I am sure less people would bring picknick baskets with them to the parks in France.

DSC01291.JPG Marvel is everywhere in this park. At least it feels like it.

DSC01292.JPGI am not a Marvel fan but I am a fan of fun rides. If they would build a great ride with a Marvel theme I would be all for it. For now they have statues and shows based on the heroes and villains from that universe.

DSC01293.JPG
"Themes" blend.

DSC01294.JPG
This was an ok show for children as long as it is temporary. If it would stay I'd wish they improved it. The other main show of this park Mickey and The Magician was great. It had a perfect blend of music and story.

DSC01308.JPG
I prefer the Cars ride in California. There is something about it that the Parisian version lacks...

DSC01313.JPG
Walt Disney Studios has got a few major additions since I visited the last time. One of them is a 3D ride featuring rats. I knew it wouldn't be like Transformers or Spiderman... but to be honest it wasn't even close. It could have been amazing but was just ok. Still that and the Toy Story Land they added are welcome additions to help make this a one day park. I can't wait to see how this park will change the next few years.
But one thing that I still want to know is when Disney will start to care about what they have build in the park. There is still a lot chipping paint and things that just don't work as they should. If they can't keep it up today how will they ever manage after they have built a Star Wars land there?
The park just suddenly closed. There is no big show to end the day here. The sun was still up when I was asked to leave.
When I exited the park into Disney Village I saw many lights not working and pieces of the stones in the ground that needed to be fixed not to create big holes over time. When one exit Disney Village you will be met by shady people selling cheap and unrelated souvenirs on the ground by the train station. It just gives the entire Disney resort a bad taste and feeling of cheapness that you do not see on any other Disney property.

This park is soon changing and I will return when the changes have been made to see what I feel about it then. The great thing about it is that the Magic Kingdom next doors is a lot better.

Last edited:
Disneyland Paris is nothing without it's Magic Kingdom styled park. Disneyland in Paris is with layout and design the best Disneyland of all.

DSC01332.JPGDiscoveryland is far from in it's original glory but still hold's up as an original land with amazing design that adds to the unique feeling of the park.

DSC01339.JPG
Everything feels very classic and grand.
DSC01345.JPG It is not fair to compare Disneyland Paris resort to Walt Disney World. Paris only has two parks, or one and a half rather. But to the other resorts around the world it makes perfect sense. I like to go to big cities. Paris should be a perfect choice. It is much closer than Tokyo. But too me Paris is the very thing keeping me from visiting Disneyland Paris. When I go to Tokyo I feel good to be in a safe and clean city. Crowded, sure, but not hectic. When I go to Paris I feel like a lost tourist. Nothing works well and what works well is very expensive. Many Disney fans might be very rich but I am not. I can spend my savings with joy but I would rather do it in a city like Tokyo where you know you will always get the best no matter what you pay for. The same goes for Tokyo Disney Resort. You really shouldn't compare that resort to Disneyland Paris either because the one in Tokyo plays in a league of it´s own. It is as I visit the parks in France that I think of how great the two in Japan are.
Something is missing in Paris. Just like in the city Disneyland Paris is not featured with sincere smiles, at least not as often as I as Disney park fan has become used to.

I wish I could say something positive about the food in the parks. But I didn't really try that much, my stomach became a bit upset a few hours into my park visit.

DSC01349.JPG The old mill just stands there. People walk by not even noticing it. People sit and eat their food they have brought from home or sit and play with their selfie sticks besides it without noticing.

There is a nice parade during the day. But no nightly parade. The dark comes very late at this time of year so if they had a night time parade the park would have to be open to midnight just to fit it in with some fireworks after.

DSC01378.JPG The night time show is really good. One of few that has a sound and theme that in some ways can rival Fantasmic. But it falls short on the fireworks size. The shells are mini and are all shot from around the castle. They are not even as big as in Hong Kong. If the show only had one or four big bangs I would call it the best night time castle show in any Disneyland. But as with much with this park it is "if only".

The biggest problem with Disneyland Paris. Is the lack of passion of the people that run it. Pirates should not be seen close to Indiana Jones. Cast members should not have a bully attitude to the guests. Guests should not be let to smoke where ever they feel like it. There is a lot more soul in the original Disneyland, and even in WDW. Disneyland Paris needed to change this lack of passion many years ago and it still does.

Another big problem the entire city of Paris also faces is that it is one of the most unpleasant places to spend time as a tourist. People refuse to try to understand you. People in service and communication treat you like trash when all you need is a bit of help finding your way through streets that smell of human waste and defeat. Prices are high and service is bad. They joy and happy feelings one get in Disneyland gets over shadowed by a city where people seldom are seen smiling. People seme to share a mass depression in Paris. But the worst thing bout going to Disneyland in Paris is that when you might have to explain to your children why there are women and children sleeping on matrasses on the streets.

I will be back in Disneyland Paris after they have changed Walt Disney Studios park. I will go one day to each park there and then go back home, just so that I don't have to spend any time in the depressing city that Paris really can be.

This park is worth a visit... but remember to not have to high expectations on service and that special thing that you only get in Disneyland. I can't wait to go back. I am sure Disney will have learnt by 2021.

This park is worth a visit... but remember to not have to high expectations on service and that special thing that you only get in Disneyland. I can't wait to go back. I am sure Disney will have learnt by 2021.

No, they won't. Please do not have the expectation that this is solved in 3 years. The problems you describe are cultural issues, it will take much longer before the mood in the whole of France is changed, and people actually want to work at Disney, instead of 'I need a job'.
And even then, I highly doubt that the French will ever adopt the same way of giving service as in the US.

Thank you for posting your review. I do think it's important for everyone to see the good and bad so that they can adjust their expectations. We are visiting in a few weeks and although we are exciting to visit for the first time, we are going in knowing about the differences between what we've experienced in WDW and DL vs DLP.

We will remain in the DLP bubble for this visit so perhaps not a big culture shock.

As with the Disney parks in Tokyo, I'm glad to hear that it's worth visiting. We are planning to go and visit in the next few years...likely pairing it with ABD.

Please be aware DLP is still in France, even though it's Disney, it has French people working there with French working attics, this is a different culture

Yes, I understand. The OP had mentioned leaving DLP and finding issues with cleanliness and disarray.

I don't expect it to be like WDW or DL, but based on reading reviews there seems to be a bit of an increase level of service/cleanliness in DLP vs outside the Disney bubble. Definitely not the standards as WDW/DL ...more in line with a regular theme park vs a Disney theme park.

However, I don't have a view that WDW or DL are immaculate or perfect. They are theme parks that attract local and international guest. When we first started visiting WDW many years ago, you couldn't find one piece of garbage anywhere. Now, it's not the case. Although I do feel that a lot of the CMs at WDW and DL are wonderful, the guests are not always nice. Some of them can be quite rude and belligerent...and they are from all backgrounds. I have always believed that there are great wonderful people from all cultures with just as many horrible rude ones. As a Canadian, we have a reputation of being nice and polite...and yes, many of us are...but there are also not so nice people.

As I mentioned in another thread, we met some wonderful people during the British Isles who were quite friendly from all backgrounds. I understand that living in the culture does have an influence, but I still believe that when different backgrounds are put together, there will be people who knows to be polite and those who choose not to be...and this is the kind of people they are and I feel some things just can't be blamed by culture differences.

Thanks for this post. We were in DLP yesterday for the first time, and so many things you said rang true. We would get into food lines that looked short, only to wait for 20-30 minutes because the CMs were so inefficient and slow. The food was also weirdly terrible for a city that has a worldwide reputation for fantastic food. We really enjoyed our time at the park, and it had a more Disney feel than I expected, but there was a certain “something” lacking. And the fact that it was 95 degrees, nothing was air conditioned, and the drinks were served semi warm didn’t help! But the larger thing is that we just aren’t enjoying Paris as much as we enjoy other places in the world (like London or Rome). I’d definitely go back to DLP, but we’d try one of their hotels rather than staying in Paris, and probably make that our only stop in France.

I just feel I have to say that if you travel in Paris be aware that people around you are aware that you are a tourist. Most do not care but some will take advantage in one way or another. That is something that I do not like about that city. But that has a more deeper explenation that Paris simply just not being very safe as city.

Homeless people in thousands in one of the richest European citys... something is wrong when people accept this. I saw children begging.

The next time I visit will be when they have rebuilt the WDS park. My next Disney park will not be until next spring in Tokyo. I can't wait. The city is clean AND safe! You can get awesome meals for very cheap and living is always clean. The parks are great and look new.

I just feel I have to say that if you travel in Paris be aware that people around you are aware that you are a tourist. Most do not care but some will take advantage in one way or another. That is something that I do not like about that city. But that has a more deeper explenation that Paris simply just not being very safe as city.

Homeless people in thousands in one of the richest European citys... something is wrong when people accept this. I saw children begging.

The next time I visit will be when they have rebuilt the WDS park. My next Disney park will not be until next spring in Tokyo. I can't wait. The city is clean AND safe! You can get awesome meals for very cheap and living is always clean. The parks are great and look new.

Homelessness is a problem in most big cities, but it is one of the biggest problems Paris is facing today and the last 10-15 years. The homeless people have been part of the city for years and attempts to solve it are going slow. Building extra homes is one thing, but also helping all those people to work, etc. is not done easily. And there isn't enough room in shelters to give a roof to everyone, plus not everyone on the streets wants to use the shelters. It's a good thing for people who travel to Paris to be aware off. Especially if you are not used to seeing poverty in your life back home.

For your rosey view of Tokyo, as a man you probably do not have to fear, but sexual harassment in the Tokyo underground is a big problem for women travelling in Tokyo for dozens of years. Especially because Asian women are even more scared/embarrassed to report groping and rapes in a full car than Western women. I was constantly making sure that my back was against a door/wall and my bag was covering my front.

On the children, most likely you were witnessing the children of East-European gangs, while the children begging distract you, you have a chance of being robbed, either by their parents, or other trained children.

On the children, most likely you were witnessing the children of East-European gangs, while the children begging distract you, you have a chance of being robbed, either by their parents, or other trained children.

This happened to us in Bali. We would have found this unbelievable, until it happened to my travelling companion. I know it's not Paris, but it happens more than you think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter