Disneyland in January

Disney102015

Mickey with Minis
We are looking at visiting for about 6 days surrounding MLK weekend in January 2025. How are crowds for that holiday compared to other times of year? We have been to Disneyland once (May 2023) but had to cut the trip short due to illness - so we kind of have the lay of the land, and figured with 5 park days we can take plenty of breaks as needed, leverage early entry, etc.

But I’m mostly concerned about the weather, especially at night. Are the pools heated? Any other considerations for this time of year? We’d be staying in the new DVC rooms at Disneyland Resort, if that matters. What’s the walk like from there to the park? I know we got spoiled staying at VGC. Thanks!!

The pools are heated, but when we swam at the Grand Californian in February 2023, it still felt a bit cold to me. On the plus side...not crowded at all in the pool.

Weather could be nice. Often on the cooler side. And you may get rain. We always bring ponchos and umbrellas, just in case.

We like to do 5 days as well since we don't rope drop or stay late. Some people find 5 days to be too much but if you like to re-ride your favorites, it's nice to have the extra time.

I haven't been during MLK weekend but I suspect any school/work holiday may have larger crowds.

I haven't stayed at the Disneyland Hotel so can't comment on that.

Off-season usually has shorter park hours. And some entertainment will only happen on weekends. Also, if there's a lot of wind, they do cancel fireworks.

Off-season all sees a lot of ride closures and refurbishments. Especially if they are still taking down any holiday overlays for things like Haunted Mansion and It's a Small World (I can't recall when those typically re-open.)

We are looking at visiting for about 6 days surrounding MLK weekend in January 2025. How are crowds for that holiday compared to other times of year? We have been to Disneyland once (May 2023) but had to cut the trip short due to illness - so we kind of have the lay of the land, and figured with 5 park days we can take plenty of breaks as needed, leverage early entry, etc.

But I’m mostly concerned about the weather, especially at night. Are the pools heated? Any other considerations for this time of year? We’d be staying in the new DVC rooms at Disneyland Resort, if that matters. What’s the walk like from there to the park? I know we got spoiled staying at VGC. Thanks!!
I went MLK weekend 2023. It rained every day we were there. We still had a great trip, but if you travel in January then rain and cooler weather are a legitimate possibility. DL is much more outside focused than WDW, so rain is more impactful. For example, small world is inside but the queue and loading are outside - this is common at DL (inside ride, outside line). Certain things also close in the rain like Alice in Wonderland, Tea Cups, Radiator Springs Racers, among others. You could get lucky and it might not rain at all while you're there and be in the 70's. It could also rain several days and be in the 50's. No way to know until a few days out.

MLK weekend crowds were great and not too bad. In 2024 they did a marathon on MLK weekend, but next year it is not a marathon weekend. Several of the lowest Magic Key's are blocked most of the weekend.

I personally wouldn't want to swim there during the winter, heated pool or not. I frankly find it a bit too cool for swimming even during the summer (we live in TX and it's over 100 a lot during the summer with lows often in the 80's). In Jan 2023 we stayed at the Grand and I don't think anyone was in the pool the entire trip.

In terms of entertainment, the Fri, Sat and Sun of MLK weekend will likely have 8-Midnight hours at DL and 8-10 at DCA. Fireworks on Fri-Sun, but they typically do not do fireworks on MLK day Monday and DL park will likely close at 10 or 11. The fireworks show is also likely to be Mickey's Mix Magic or another "in between" fireworks show, not one of the main ones.

WOC should be nightly, including weeknights, unless it goes down for a long refurb.

Fantasmic often goes down for a break in January after the holidays, so I would not expect to see that over MLK weekend.

As the PP noted, lots of refurbs happen in January. You can count on either HM or small world being closed to remove its holiday overlay. At least one other major ride will also likely be closed. Also, Grizzly River Run is almost always closed Jan-Feb for an annual refurb. HM typically goes down first, then small world, but the last two years it's been flipped because of Toontown construction (2023) and the major HM queue refurb (2024). I would expect HM to be closed MLK 2025 and small world holiday to still be running. When we were there in January 2023 the following was closed: Small World, Indiana Jones, Grizzly Run, Runaway Railway (it opened 3 weeks later), Roger Rabbit, Gadget's coaster, and the Toontown houses.

That said, we had a great time MLK weekend even with the rain. Our family personally prefers summer because of the rain-free weather, max hours, max ride uptime, and max entertainment schedule.

Thank you both so much! I hadn’t even considered refurbs or the availability of nighttime shows. You’ve given me lots to think about!!

MLK weekend is a gamble overall:

weather: hit/miss; can get a winter storm river the whole week . Cooler temps overall; - definitely pants weather with jacket at rope drop/ending;

crowds: moderate/heavy on the weekend. If weather, the locales stay away; so there's that too.

Evening shows: weekends only typically

Rides: a lot go down during this time ahead of Lunar festival, taking down holiday overlays, refurb for spring runs.

Pools: heated - depending on your pref maybe still too cool; but not busy at all.

Walk from VDH: monorail is 5min; entrance to DLR 10-15min through DTD. new entrance gate maybe available by then for VDH.

VDH to DCA: multiple options; fastest is via back entrance for hotel guests behind VGC DVC. if rope drop: through VGC by Napa Rose or main entrance depending on where you're going

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest