Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier

We have used points for Disneyland hotel stays in the past. This year the amount of points per night increased for hotel stays. We’ve never been charged a $95 fee and the process has been really simple. That said, it is a waste of points and I’d never contemplate it as a today purchase and use plan because the upfront cost is crazy - see the poster above comparison for approximately how much.

We’re also West Coast and don’t own any GCV points. I’ve got lucky enough with being flexible on days, getting a three day weekend here and there. There’s also times when it didn’t pan out and we ended up using more points to book at the dlh.

The points required for a hotel room at gch are about double needed for the villa studios but the hotel rooms are very nice. We just got back and stayed in the hotel side this trip. Had two queen beds and a sofa sleeper that slept one more. Room seemed much nicer and we got early check in - something not a gt for hotel but at least a possibility. At The GCV point stay I’ve never had a room ready till at least 4pm.

If you’re only using at 7 months have you looked into cost of ssr direct instead of ccv or Aulani? It would get you direct flexibility, a lower buy in than Aulani and ccv, much less mf’s and if flexible with dates a chance to use the points at GCV.

Best case would be GCV resale but they are a lot more expensive resale without the perks of ssr direct. The GCV resale points get you fairly certain reservation days 11 months at home resort but if you need to switch those dates around at 7 months or less than the ssr direct points actually have more power because you can at least get a hotel room with the points.

I’m really hoping the new Disneyland hotel will have a Dvc component. If so I can bet the cost will be sky high and they’ll sell out in no time. I would purchase in a second though. The cash rates of on property have really increased and the benefit of on property has really improved in the last couple years.

Thanks for the comments everybody! I have stayed at both the PPH and DL Hotel, not grand Californian yet. PPH wasn't anything special, and the least convenient. DL Hotel was nicer, and slightly less inconvenient. But still not close. After seeing what everyone has said, it doesn't seem like there's a cheap enough home resort outside the Anaheim area to make it a wise use of points. Plus the whole name of the game with this (in my opinion) is repeatability at a resort you really like. With the occasional venture to a new property once and awhile. Not hoping you can book at the 7 month window in the property you want, only to be let down most years. I liked the perks of buying direct, being able to stay in Disney collection properties if need be, etc. But i can deal without.... Now I'm thinking VGC resale is the answer for me, which isn't easy in and of itself. Very few listings and they move quick at the high $$$ that has been mentioned. Thanks everyone for helping with this decision :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter