Disney Water Parks vs “Nice” Resort Pools

msb578

DIS Veteran
How do the water parks compare to resorts with extensive water features (Stormalong Bay, Wyndham Bonnet Creek for example)? If we’re already staying at a resort with lazy rivers and water slides, do you think we will find the water parks worth the price of admission?

Money isn’t even necessarily the #1 issue... time is. Will we regret the time taken away from enjoying our resort, or do the water parks have a “wow factor” of their own?

Thanks!

How do the water parks compare to resorts with extensive water features (Stormalong Bay, Wyndham Bonnet Creek for example)? If we’re already staying at a resort with lazy rivers and water slides, do you think we will find the water parks worth the price of admission?

Money isn’t even necessarily the #1 issue... time is. Will we regret the time taken away from enjoying our resort, or do the water parks have a “wow factor” of their own?

Thanks!

The water parks have more and better slides. Maybe for little kids, the resort is fine. Older kids enjoy doing the water parks better.

I've stayed at WBC, but not YC/BC (although I'm familiar with what Stormalong Bay has). Typhoon Lagoon is leagues beyond in terms of slides, wave pool, kid play area, and tropical theming. The lazy rivers just are not comparable at all. Now, if you just want to take short trips to the pool to relax in the middle of the day, obviously the resort pool will be more convenient and less expensive (if you're already going to paying for that level of resort). I was at WDW a few weeks ago and now I can't stop thinking about going back to Typhoon Lagoon. I'm going to be planning on a water park day for all future trips, assuming appropriate weather.
Bear in mind, I was there with one 8 yo, so with tiny kids that don't last long at the pool, or where you need to be worrying about swim diapers, and naps, and have to stay with them in the shallow end, I'd say stick to the resort options. But my son and I had a blast at TL.
Haven't experienced Blizzard Beach, so no opinions.

It's not even a comparison. A hotel pool is a hotel pool, even if it has a few slides and a small lazy river. The WDW water parks are on an entirely different level, it's not fair to the hotel to try to compare them. If you like water park activities, then yes, you should absolutely go to one. Nothing wrong with a hotel pool or slide, but they're not in the same league.

I echo what others have said: there is no comparison. I have stayed at YC and while Stormalong Bay is an elaborate hotel pool, a water park it is NOT. I often see people calling it a small water park, but it just isn't in the same category. It would be like comparing a "roller coaster" at a county 4H fair to Expedition Everest. There is ONE short slide and a small lazy river that more or less goes in a small circle without lush landscaping. Stormalong Bay is mostly an expansive swimming pool. The water parks have slides and such that are actual attractions. Granted, kids can certainly have a great time at Stormalong Bay, but if your group likes water parks and expects that level of detail and number of slides, etc. from SB, they will be disappointed. The only time I don't think the water parks are worth the cost of admission is with little kids that aren't independent enough to enjoy most of what the water parks have to offer.

It all depends.

Growing up we went to thr water parks-River country, TL, BB. And then I started to go without my parents (early 20s) and I think I went once. Brought my dh when we were dating a few times, didn’t go.

Then we had kids so I knew things would be changing. The first 3 kid trips we did not do a water park. My reasoning was that all 3 kids could not swim (youngest was 2 1/2). So we/they were happy at the Poly and so was I!

Then we took them the last trip (youngest was 7) since they could all swim. We are going again this August. My kids enjoy the slides much more then just a pool but they know we are just going one day to a water park and the rest is the resort pool-BC/Poly.

It all depends.

Growing up we went to thr water parks-River country, TL, BB. And then I started to go without my parents (early 20s) and I think I went once. Brought my dh when we were dating a few times, didn’t go.

Then we had kids so I knew things would be changing. The first 3 kid trips we did not do a water park. My reasoning was that all 3 kids could not swim (youngest was 2 1/2). So we/they were happy at the Poly and so was I!

Then we took them the last trip (youngest was 7) since they could all swim. We are going again this August. My kids enjoy the slides much more then just a pool but they know we are just going one day to a water park and the rest is the resort pool-BC/Poly.

We had a similar situation. My wife and I went to the water parks when we were first married and we finally made it back 16 years later a couple of weeks ago. We hadn't gone for years because we were waiting until both kids were old enough to enjoy it. My DS is 9 and DD is 16 and they both had a blast at Blizzard Beach. In September we are going to Typhoon Lagoon.

I think hotel pools are great for what they are--a nice break for an hour or two. Water parks are in a different category--tons of interesting rides and meant to be a half or full day of entertainment. I'll go to a hotel pool, but skip water parks, but that's a "me" problem. I'm allergic to the sun, and get sun poisoning very easily. Of course I wear sunscreen and a hat, etc. but it's not worth the risk. Luckily, my kids aren't as sensitive as I am, and are now old enough that DH can take them to a waterpark. When they were younger, Great Wolf Lodge was a Godsend, because I could go and have a good time and not worry.

We had a free water park day on our tickets last trip but the kids didn't want to leave SAB and they were 15 and 9. My son found a group of teenagers and they played water volleyball everyday. My kids have declined the water parks two trips in a row. They would much rather be in the parks or the pool and my kids are big time water kids. They love water parks at home. We have a free water park option this upcoming trip and DD said no thanks. But they never turn down a trip to Hurricane Harbor at home.

I'm fine with skipping the water parks at WDW. Water parks drain me. If I go to one from 10-3 I'm done for the day. Plus I would rather be sitting at the hotel pool, with a drink in my hand while the kids play in the pool.

We did TL when DS was 3 and we had a blast. Haven't been back since.

We'll be staying at YC next trip which has gives us access to Stormalong Bay but will still visit one of the water parks that trip. The kids will get their undiluted thrillist game on and the man and I can chill out at a cabana waited on hand and footish; win-win for all, LOL.
Make a choice based on your family's needs/wants and all will be good:).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter