"Disney Vacation Club adjusts 2010 Vacation Point Charts"

WebmasterDoc

Administrator
Administrator
Just a little blast from the past (thread started 01/21/2009)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-vacation-club-adjusts-2010-vacation-points-charts.2066946/

Previously, DVC had usually released the point charts for the upcoming calendar year in the fall. However, in fall 2008 no new point charts were released. When they were finally published in the second half of January, 2009 for the 2010 point charts, some members seemed to take notice and our first online Reallocation discussion here on the DIS came to the forefront. 139 pages with some familiar usernames participating and now familiar concerns were expressed.

The very first DVC reallocation was announced in fall, 1994 for the 1996 calendar year. At that time, there was only one DVC Resort. Disney's Vero Beach Resort opened on October 1, 1995 so the point chart affected, what was at the time, The Disney Vacation Club Resort. There was minimal online discussion at the time since the internet, as we know it today, was truly in its infancy. About the only online Disney discussion in 1994 was RADP, an unmoderated news group which I think may still exist today. The DIS began in June, 1997.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this link, as much for bringing up fond memories of Caskbill and his software as for its relevance to current issues.

Haha. Great post and a fun read. People will always overreact to change. My favorite is the person who had their week increase by one point and she didn’t realize she could just borrow one point every year.

I don't think that people are overreacting here regarding the 2020 point reallocations. The 2010/2011 reallocations were mostly about balancing/equalizing points per night during a week - within room type. Most people have had an expectation (which the guides do nothing to discourage) that their contract will get them a certain number of nights. For anyone using studios, this is just a price increase straight across the board. People staying in studios are now paying 14 or more points for a weekly stay. Which really sucks if you bought an amount of points close to or equal to what you need.

So let’s say you go once a year and you have 150 points and now you are 14 more points a year to travel. You can borrow points for 5-6 years before you have an issue. And that is at the max increase if you were exactly on the number previously. The reality is you are probably now out another few years. When I bought I was told there could/would be allocation changes and to buy a buffer (granted not from DVC themselves). Also, some things got less point expensive.

Just a little blast from the past (thread started 01/21/2009)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-vacation-club-adjusts-2010-vacation-points-charts.2066946/

Previously, DVC had usually released the point charts for the upcoming calendar year in the fall. However, in fall 2008 no new point charts were released. When they were finally published in the second half of January, 2009 for the 2010 point charts, some members seemed to take notice and our first online Reallocation discussion here on the DIS came to the forefront. 139 pages with some familiar usernames participating and now familiar concerns were expressed.

The very first DVC reallocation was announced in fall, 1994 for the 1996 calendar year. At that time, there was only one DVC Resort. Disney's Vero Beach Resort opened on October 1, 1995 so the point chart affected, what was at the time, The Disney Vacation Club Resort. There was minimal online discussion at the time since the internet, as we know it today, was truly in its infancy. About the only online Disney discussion in 1994 was RADP, an unmoderated news group which I think may still exist today. The DIS began in June, 1997.

Enjoy!

I remember this fondly and was just talking to my wife about it. We purchased enough points for a one week savana view room at Kidani in 2008. After this change went into effect, we no longer had enough points, and added on a 50 point contract.

Who here remembers Joy from DVC customer service? She personally called my on two occasions to thank me for sending very positive cast member compliments. When I emailed to express my confidence over the change, it was radio silence.

I have read up to page 37. I remember the times. There seem to be many of those folks missing from the current discussion. Perhaps they did sell, or move to other forums.

DVC has not improved IT or the way it deals with major announcements to members in the ensuing years. I am surprised about those things. Shame on you, DVC.

The “ total number of points cannot change” is not mentioned that often in the old thread, but it was in the first 37 pages. That’s the problem with this reallocation in my understanding.

I remember this fondly and was just talking to my wife about it. We purchased enough points for a one week savana view room at Kidani in 2008. After this change went into effect, we no longer had enough points, and added on a 50 point contract.

Who here remembers Joy from DVC customer service? She personally called my on two occasions to thank me for sending very positive cast member compliments. When I emailed to express my confidence over the change, it was radio silence.
I worked with Joy over the years. She helped me when she could, and I wholeheartedly gave her thanks and kudos, but sadly, we still have “walking.” I knew her so well, I recognized her voice when she called, before she could identify herself!

Well I went through the first 10 pages or so. Interesting how some of the discussion is similar but one theme seemed to resonate: The total points remained the same. I made sure to do a search as I was progressing page to page just to ensure I didn't miss anything but couldn't find a single reference to lock off premium. Was it called something different? Was it introduced later?

I think that is certainly one key difference between then and now. That was a balancing act where points basically remained flat. The 2020 allocation may also be a balancing act but it also seemingly created new points out of thin air.

This was interesting. Prophetic in fact:

Is that really true- that the total # of points for a resort never changes-even 10 yrs from now ?:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter