Disney In Talks to Acquire Majority of 21st Century Fox

I don’t think Disney would buy the majority just to gain the extra marvel characters, avatar and the original Star Wars distribution rights, but it’s all bits I think they would go for.

The simpsons however, I can see them selling that off. Maybe to universal

You're thinking too small. Its not about just getting some rights back, it would be about the mass of content that they would then have access to for the purpose of direct to consumer streaming service. Imagine a Netflix like product with the complete film and tv libraries of Fox and Disney. Even if they dont make it exclusive, they can then license Fox media out to other services, generating other revenue streams. You do raise an excellent point that IF The Simpsons was in the deal, it would make an interesting bargaining chip to offer Universal in exchange (along with a pile of money) for waiving the theme park license for Marvel properties

I'm sorry. I'm just not ok with Disney being the sole owner of pretty much the entire industry.

Admittedly I am a high school dropout, but to the best of my remedial math skills, 28.2% marketshare wouldnt even be a majority, let alone a monopoly.

Nothing like ever bigger monopolies to gradually control things. This is ugly.

I can't believe anyone is even bringing up antitrust...has anyone notice these last 30 or so years that the Feds don't even care?

...no way this wouldn't be approved if actually true.

I give it a 25% shot at this point...but bob likes buying stuff...it's his only move in the book.

I can't believe anyone is even bringing up antitrust...has anyone notice these last 30 or so years that the Feds don't even care?

I give it a 25% shot at this point...but bob likes buying stuff...it's his only move in the book.
I agree that the feds don't care but we all lose when companies keep merging and buying each other. Competition is good for the blood (and Disney).

Besides Disney is too much about outside IP as it is. I sometimes wonder if the Disney characters won't start to disappear eventually.

I agree that the feds don't care but we all lose when companies keep merging and buying each other. Competition is good for the blood (and Disney).

Besides Disney is too much about outside IP as it is. I sometimes wonder if the Disney characters won't start to disappear eventually.
Disney characters won’t disappear they are part of that IP.

This article points to the talks being more dead and not happening than happening.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...t-buying-most-of-fox-talks-now-dead-cnbc-says
Comcast strikes again. I’m only saying that because last time disney was going in on a company (well here it’s the other way)it was Comcast and that fell through. Plus it’s fine to poke fun at the actual Comcast cable service. Surprised they haven’t run universals parks into the ground yet...

Come to think of it you are right, and we’ve seen literal giants merge in the past couple of years. AT&T and Direct-tv/Time Warner Cable should’ve been vetoed since that would be extremely huge but it hasn’t. Not making it political I’m just saying “hmm that’s weird.”

And yeah Bob is like me on payday. Come to think of it he got Star Wars for dirt cheap. 4 billion for what it’s really worth is too cheap. I figured the broke even about two months after force awakens opened. Hell it cost more to buy Pixar!!

Hmm, so now what does THAT contract look like? We know Marvel is essentially forever, but could Disney REALLY put it to Universal, not renew their rights, then build their own Simpsons project in Hollywood Studios as the next phase?

I love the Simpson's and universal has done them well. They don't really fit with Disney and I wouldnt want them in a Disney park.

View attachment 281949

Funnily enough the Simpsons predicted this in an episode.

They predict just about everything g so this doesn't surprise me.

I love the Simpson's and universal has done them well. They don't really fit with Disney and I wouldnt want them in a Disney park.

I don't disagree, but I highly doubt Disney would choose to ignore that if they had a chance to render a whole land of Universal useless because Universal has done a good job creating the land.

I don't disagree, but I highly doubt Disney would choose to ignore that if they had a chance to render a whole land of Universal useless because Universal has done a good job creating the land.

Disney may make more money off it by collecting from universal than spending to shove them in somewhere that doesn't make sense.

That speculates what the nature of of the Simpson's license with Fox, it may be just as irrevocable as the Marvel one. You also have to ditch this preoccupation with believing owning an IP is about shoe horning it into the parks. Media makes more money than the parks, by several billion dollars a year. Budgets not withstanding and the revenue from licensing to other movie studios, Disney has entirely recouped the cost of the Marvel acquisition in gross ticket sales. That without a major presence in the any of the parks, even the non-Florida ones unaffected by the license. Star Wars has made almost half of what it costs them in just 2 movies.

If Disney were to acquire Fox, its far more linked to the revenue its content could generate in the streaming service of the future than anything related to park attractions. Any acquisitions or re-acquisitions of licensing rights are just bonus.

Admittedly I am a high school dropout, but to the best of my remedial math skills, 28.2% marketshare wouldnt even be a majority, let alone a monopoly.

It's more about an intellectual property monopoly than a market share monopoly. It's like going to the supermarket and thinking you have hundreds of brands to choose from. And then you realise that they are all owned by Kraft, Nestle or Coca-Cola.

For instance, by acquiring Dreamworks, Comcast just became the owner of the catalogue of IP owned by Classic Media.

Sure, there are dozens of smaller/independent studios in the market share pie chart, but they're either owned by a larger studio, or they have very limited release.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter