Disney gifts for "older" boys?

crazymomof4

DIS Veteran
I have "cleaned up" big time at the Disney Store sale buying advance souvenirs for DD, 2.5, and DS, 6. My question is what to get for DS 11 and 14? I've been buying Disney Dollars for them and DS 11 a shirt but I'm really at a loss for any more ideas. They get into that "too cool" mode and you are afraid to buy anything that they may feel is too childish for them.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

crazymomof4

Am struggling for 10 year old nephew too. I bought a deck of Mickey cards, Buzz bobble-head, Pez, expandalbe washcloths, small tins of candies, and the Birnbaum book WDW by kids. Welcome other ideas...

well for my 14...now 15yo....

I got him...
-a stylish hat...nothing too Disney...but it had mickey mouse on it...he wears it all the time now...
-a decent watch...nothing plastic! very tasteful and stylish, had a leather band and american flag mickey on the face! Used it all the time in Disney....
- A mickey baseball style shirt...they have them at the online Disney store...
- one of those basketball hoops you can hang on the door... I know it sounds cheesy...but it he usually places with it when hes in his room...
- Some mickey and tigger boxers...just as a cute gag gift...as well as some decent pajama pants from our local Wal-mart and K-mart...

My nearly 10 yr old son would probably be happiest with the Disney Dollars so that he could actually shop during the trip, rather than something pre-bought as a souvenier that wasn' t really from WDW. -HM

There are some really nice t-shirts and baseball caps that kids really like, but there are those shell necklaces that the young guys really like. I got really fun playing cards that although a little expensive, they are clear and fun to play with. The Confectionary always has good ideas. For some reason, the fake snakes go over well, and i know that the fun crazy hats are always a big sale. Oh and don't forget about the pins. Hope that helps a little and have fun!

Do you have to have the souvenirs before you go? If not, some things they might like that you can get at WDW are Planet Hollywood t's, Rock and Roller coaster t's, Star Wars stuff from the shop outside Star Tours (ditto for Test Track). There's also a sports store on Main Street that has lots of nice Disney clothes, hats, balls etc. for all different sports. Some of it is very Disney and some is more subtle. Also, ESPN cafe on the Boardwalk has a store (if they like sports). And maybe the Lego store too (maybe for 11 yo, not sure if the 14 yo would be too old for that). Hope that helps- good luck!

My kids liked getting pressed pennies at the parks. We bought one book and they each took turns making them. We didn't pre-buy it but you could use your disney money to purchase the book. We keep it on display in the tv cabinet. Gina

I have 2 boys of my own and nephews galore -- they do pose a bigger challenge in the gifts dept.! Our guys are very into sports, so shirts from ESPN and Team Mickey are great (they are Disney, but not "kiddie" styled -- my dh gets a new one every time, too!) My guys love electronic toys, too, so I bought up a mess of those electronic hand-held devices that spell out messages when you twirl them (found them at a Character Corner for only $4! Gotta love that). I agree with the Disney $$ -- it always gives the option of choosing something they like. A guy's gotta eat -- snacks are always an option. Boxers are fun gifts; so are water and air toys (I don't know why, but every time we bring out the Buzz water guns and such, our 13 yr old neighbor is always there to "try it out"). Our son considers himself "above" Disney apparrel while at home, but for some reason, Disney World just makes you want to join in the fun! SO don't be surprised if even the "coolest" teen breaks down to get a Goofy hat!

Cindy

My 3 teen boys tend to like the shirts that have Grumpy making a frowny face. I guess that's a little "cooler" than "happy" looking characters! I agree that you can't go wrong with Disney Dollars. Things my boys bought with their own money during our trip in May were WDW playing cards (they like to play cards with friends) and since they are also very into Star Wars -- they bought Darth Vader type trading pins. My 13 year old bought a soccer ball at the Lego store (or was it Team Mickey?)

Hope this helps a little!

I would stick with the Disney Dollars. I don't think buying "souvenirs" in advance will be much fun for them, IMHO. My 12 yr old DS can find plenty at WDW he wants. Things not available back home, real souvenirs. He got Drumsticks from R&R, a POC t-shirt from the store after the ride, Legos from the Lego store(ones not available elsewhere), an Indiana Jones cap and watch, etc. There is not really anything major he wants in the local Disney store. Let them use the dollars at WDW and find some unique things:cool: !

Yesterday I saw the new Pirates Of The Caribbean movie. (which was great) and it made me think of a really cool shirt my son picked up. They have concert style shirts in the gift shop by pirates of the caribbean shop. You would never know it was a disney t-shirt, my son wears his all the time. Now with the new movie this could be even acceptable. Gina

I didn't really want to pre-buy souveniers, just give the kids little (Disney related) surprises throughout the trip.

My oldest DS will be 13 next month and loves to collect all of the pins from Disney. They make great little presents. :D

My 11 year old DS had $100 to spend
on our last 8 day magical vacation at
WDW.
Not until we went to the LEGO store
in DTD did he find anything he wanted.
He bought a motorized computer
programmable LEGO put together
vehicle.
Not very WDW but up his alley
of wanting to become an engineer
when he grows up.

My DS was planning to bring the
$100 home with him -and buy
nothing at WDW.

Leave it up to the older child to decide what
they want. Maturity levels differ
between kids - especially boys.
Saving the $$'s instead of buying a t-shirt
not to be worn when home - is a better idea.

My DS did use a new autograph book, take
pictures with his own camera, and was a good
sport at Cindy's breakfast.

Just my thoughts :)

I was very surprised, but I got my 11 yr old an autograph book (mostly cuz I got one for my 7 yr old before we left) and he absolutely loved getting the autographs and having his pics taken with the characters..and this is a kid that is just waaaay too cool for anything as "childish" as Disney :p . He ended up with the typical things like the drumsticks from RRC, but he also got a big-eared goofy hat, loved the pressed pennies and was into the pin trading. I guess its just that Disney magic that takes over when their in the parks!! Thank you Walt;) !!!!!

Originally posted by Crazy4mandms
I was very surprised, but .....my 11 yr old ..... absolutely loved getting the autographs and having his pics taken with the characters..and this is a kid that is just waaaay too cool for anything as "childish" as Disney ..... I guess its just that Disney magic that takes over when their in the parks!! Thank you Walt;) !!!!!

I could see this happening with the 11 yo and maybe even the just turned 14 yo. Neither of them remember WDW so they don't know about "the Magic".

Everyone!
Thanks for all of the great suggestions! We will definately be hitting the Lego store since they are a fav. of DS, 11 He's been wanting to buy a set here, so I told him to save his $$ and get one down there since they have sets not available elsewhere. (Another "plus" will be that he will always remember he got that one at WDW).
The autograph book, pressed pennies & book, 1-time use camera, cap/hat, electronic hand-held devices that spell out messages when you twirl them, pins, and boxers are all great ideas that I may have missed out on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter