Disney for the Fitness Enthusiast

Momtastic

Earning My Ears
My husband, kids, and I are going to Disney for the first time in October and we are super excited! Last fall, I adopted a new lifestyle (bodybuilding). As part of this, I usually follow a very strict diet and exercise regimen. While I want to live a little, I also don’t want to get completely off track for the week we are at Disney. I have managed to keep things in check during other recent trips and events, but this is a bit different from other trips we have taken. There will be lots of food temptations, and it would be very easy to go overboard. Also, fitting in lifting and cardio sessions in around all the ADRs and long days at the parks may be especially challenging.

Any other fitness enthusiasts out there that have tips to share? I’d love to hear how others find balance and maintain a healthy/fit lifestyle during a Disney vacation.

Thanks in advance!

There are opportunities everywhere to follow a fitness regimen. First, depending where you are staying, you will need to find out what facilities are available. While staying at the deluxes, they all have pretty good fitness centers. Moderates all have running trails and with a little planning, you can incorporate strength training different ways. The Values may be a bigger challenge but the concierge will have maps of running routes. They might not be the best for training but they will suffice. There are healthy meals at all of the TS restaurants. The biggest challenge will probably be if you are on the dining plan. Personally, I refuse to order salads when I’m paying for steak/seafood. QS options are also the least healthy. If you’re not on the dining plan, it’s much easier, and cheaper, I should add.

Disney is making it easier for those with a healthy lifestyle to keep on track while on vacation ( or at least so you don't feel like you totally derailed ). As Kevlar10 said, depending on resort you will have at least the basic level of fitness ( jogging paths, pools, fitness centers ). You'll also walk about 5 miles a day in addition so that helps with some of the calories. They have started incorporating both healthier options and vegan at parks and resorts. I'd take a look at the menus so you can pre-plan to a certain point. The one that stands out that has healthier options and if I remember correctly offered organic options was the Wave over at the CR. I think you'll be surprised at how much more than burgers they have now.

The biggest challenge ( at least for me ) was the sweet stuff. So many options and it seems around every corner. I allowed myself something sweet every day. This way it was 1 thing, not 5 and I didn't feel like I was totally denying myself either. My DH and I also shared if it was something we both thought we would like so reduce the extra calories even more.

We are staying at CR, and their fitness center looks fairly decent. I will def be taking advantage of that. I like the running trails idea...will make cardio less tedious.

We will have to check out Wave, especially since it’s in our resort. I also like the idea of limiting to one sweet thing and sharing when possible. That approach could help keep everything in moderation without feeling totally deprived.

Thanks!!

I stayed at the Dolphin Resort, and their gym was pretty nice. They had two rooms with multiple machines (more than just treadmills), and I was able to maintain my workout regimen for the few days I was there. I'm not completely sure if the Dolphin is included, but certain Disney hotels offer the option of buying a day pass to their gyms. Although, it can get pretty pricey for a family. The passes range from $10-$15 a day.

A few years ago when we went to WDW, my daughter was competing in Olympic weightlifting and had a meet shortly after we got home. Her coach contacted a weightlifting gym near WDW and got a schedule of times she could work out there. However, she opted to make do with the facilities at our resort (OKW). OKW did not have barbells, just machines and small freeweights but it worked out OK. The deciding factor, for her, was having to pack her weightlifting shoes--she didn't have that bit of space to spare!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!