Disney at Christmas - yay or nay

Miranda_Kay

Earning My Ears
Hello all, I've been reading along for years now and have finally decided to make an account and start posting. My husband and I are thinking about taking a Disney trip during Christmas week (only the most crowded time of the year :crazy:). Has anyone done a trip this time of year? Are the crowds really THAT bad and is it worth the outrageous prices? Thanks!

If its the only time you can go then go and have a great time and be sure to pack your patience.
I went from December 27th to January 2nd one year and it was absolutely insane. I have some stories to tell though lol.
If you can be flexible I'd suggestion going near the beginning of December.
You get the best of both worlds... not as crowded but the Christmas celebrations are in full swing.

:welcome:

We did Xmas to New Years in 2015 and again just this past year. It's the busiest week of the year, no doubt. But we had an absolutely wonderful time. Use FP+...a lot. Have patience, have a holiday spirit and you'll be fine. Yes, the crowd is absolutely huge in spots, but you have to expect that. The hub in MK at fireworks or parade was nuts, but IMO the rest of the time wasn't all that bad.

We've done the week before Christmas the last two years, coming home on the 23rd. We go often so are pretty easy going in our touring style, our style is we don't have a style. It is crowded, the most crowded we have ever seen it. We don't spend a lot of time riding rides on the Christmas trip but spend more time going to the different resorts and looking at the decorations and enjoying the decorations in the parks. We take that week to eat at places we don't do during out normal trips just because of time issues. We love it and really enjoy the atmosphere of the place. Let's face it, how often do you see it snow at HS?

It is that bad (I will never do it again). Have you been before, or is this your first trip? If it's your first, then I would advise against it unless that time of year is the only time you can go. If it's not, then like the other posters stated, pack plenty of patience, get FP ahead of time and plan to do things outside of the parks, like visiting other resorts, Disney Springs, etc.

So far we've stayed at WDW during two major holiday periods: Christmas through New Year, and Independence Day. Neither made us feel like we were at Times Square on December 31st or lining FDR Drive w/ the hordes to view the 4th of July fireworks. Now those are stifling crowd events for me, LOL.
We did most of our park rides early in the morning and generally by 1 in the afternoon at the latest were finished rides for the daytime during the 2 week December/Jan visit. Then it was time to visit other resorts and see the holiday decor, go to a water park, wander the regular and holiday exhibits at Epcot (this we liked a lot and did several times). By early evening we tended to have a leisurely sitdown dinner and maybe do a few more rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter