Discovery Cove?

JenniferFolsomCa

Mouseketeer
We are planning to visit DC late May/early June and part of our group wants to do the dolphin experience and part doesn't. I already booked the tickets. My confusion is that everyone emphasizes I need to get there early. Why? I was hoping this would be our sleep in day? I honestly don't see much to do there so not sure we need 8-9 hours for the park, thought more like 4-5. Or can part of us check in and secure the dolphin times and then the rest of us can sleep in?

Any thoughts?

Jenn

Obviously, you can do whatever you feel, but I think most who visit want more, not less. The early arrival time also helps in selecting the dolphin swim times, as they are booked as you check in. For us, the dolphins are great, but the entire park just relaxes us. We float for hours in the lazy river, which is unlike any lazy river we have experienced. We love the aviary early in the morning when the birds are active and hungry. We lounge in our cabana (which we find a great value). I personally can float in the reef and look at fish for hours, I LOVE the cold water, so refreshing on a hot summer day. Sun, sand, water, dolphins...definitely give us more!

Again, every family vacations differently, but for some reason, my family LOVES breakfast at DC, Dine with Shame at SW, and Roa's Rapids at Aquatica.

Hope you enjoy no matter what you decide.

While I have not been there yet myself this is what I understand from my research. The reason it is suggested that you get there early is to reserve an earlier dolphin swim time. They book the times in the order that you arrive to the park. You are guaranteed to have a swim but not guaranteed the time so if you get there late your swim time will be late as well. Also, people seem to want to eat breakfast before the attractions open as well.

Splitting your group would be fine as long as your dolphin swim people get there together. From my understanding a person needs to be present at check in in order to reserve a swim time.

This is the info as I understand it through my research. Hope it helps.

I did DC once with my kids (DH stayed home that trip, as he's done with many).

We arrived right at the opening (or actually a few minutes prior to it). The kids did the dolphin swim; I wasn't interested so took some photos and watched them (and bought the photo CD - they got awesome pictures all day of us!).

I suggest getting there early, as it's like being at an all-inclusive for the day. At no point were we bored, or hungry!

We made the mistake of getting breakfast before staking out a couple lounge chairs, though! All the shaded ones were taken by the time we finished eating. We did find a couple to put our stuff on, but they had no shade. If you want a chair for the day under an umbrella, get there early.

The food is very decent, free beer all afternoon, snacks, lazy river is sooooo long and fun, the birds are amazing (they will let you feed them and teach you about them all). There is so much to do, and we were also the very last ones to leave at 5pm or so.

I'm considering this for our late May trip as well, just me and DH (and not doing the dolphin swim though if we go).

Long, caves, birds, scenery, seclusion...just to name a few. A bit of warning, wear water shoes. The depths and bottom change very drastically, not your normal lazy river with flat concrete bottom and the same depth throughout. At one point, you go through a portion of the aviary, so birds all around to look at. Grab a noodle, relax, and observe. You need multiple laps for sure...

Want a chair in the shade so that is reason enough to go early... how is the lazy river special?

Jenn

Pictures say it best.

14900622_10155153378611416_6424626358862151408_n.jpg

14915165_10155153380991416_7184582201852054036_n.jpg

14947800_10155153382056416_5800799500159526020_n.jpg

14937318_10155153382261416_6423108118091659496_n.jpg

14516521_10155153382296416_2421167303126065015_n.jpg

14900591_10155153384876416_6527008146790792493_n.jpg

14947481_10155153385341416_4247587879294245008_n.jpg

14956617_10155153385731416_7158523052710820933_n.jpg

14937347_10155153387466416_201630880111232784_n.jpg

All were taken at various points along the lazy river. It takes around 20 minutes or so to do a full rotation.

Quite honestly, Discovery Cove resets the bar on which you will judge every other theme park in Orlando. We are going back for the 6th time in May, and it NEVER gets old. We will utilize the full 8+ hours offered to us, and it will once again not feel like it was long enough.....and that's without doing the dolphin swim.

We are planning to visit DC late May/early June and part of our group wants to do the dolphin experience and part doesn't. I already booked the tickets. My confusion is that everyone emphasizes I need to get there early. Why? I was hoping this would be our sleep in day? I honestly don't see much to do there so not sure we need 8-9 hours for the park, thought more like 4-5. Or can part of us check in and secure the dolphin times and then the rest of us can sleep in?

Any thoughts?

Jenn

You need to consider weather patterns in MCO in warmer months, showers can be a given in the afternoon. Suggest booking by late am.

Lucky to visit twice so far this year with my family:dance3:, cannot beat the AP discounts on booking.

So much to see & do, happy to have several opportunities to interact with the two sloths

2D390CE9-485E-48D7-A8B8-1DC168770F1D.jpeg Or just hang out in a hammockBC5CCC04-B261-46A7-915D-E2C7F0F5F6F3.jpeg
Will say the current in the lazy river seems to have gotten ‘lazier’:scratchin. I was full on swimming in order to move, more than I recall in the past.

Last edited:
Been many times and no way would I sleep in. You'll be tired enough at the end of the day, go to bed early.

Getting there early = getting to pick your dolphin time, the earlier the better so the rest of the day is not worrying about getting to your time / enjoying the breakfast that is included / pick your loungers and area where you will keep your stuff, since you are going in hot weather you may want a chair with an umbrella or tucked by some trees.

There is plenty to do for us to open and close it. We alternate between snorkeling, then a different activity, snorkeling, then a different activity. Different would be the lazy river (we do several time), the heated pool area, the aviary, meeting some of the animals, the dolphin swim, breakfast, lunch, snacks, drinks, sit in the water lounge with drinks, explore the water & animal area, listen to the music, some folks do the snooba thing .... just walking around it is so beautiful. At the end of the day you can shower and dress right there.

The lazy river is deep and fast, it goes under 2 waterfalls as you enter and leave aviary, it has sunken treasure so take your mask, grab a noodle because there is nothing lazy about it. It's just beautiful.

It's like being swept away to an island beach and we always want every minute of it ........... in addition to it's expensive so I'm not going to short our day.

Not the OP, but what time are you able to put your stuff down on chairs? Before or after breakfast? Do you have to wait until 9am?

We have always splurged on a cabana, with 6 of us, can't imagine spending $1,800 then not adding $200ish for the luxury. But, from observation, as soon as you are checked in, you find your landing spot (employees are posted so you cannot enter the water) then get some breakfast.

Hi I agree with all pps about why to get there early. We did do the dolphin swim and I wanted an early time this way we would not be interrupted during the day while we might be in the middle of something else and have to leave. I was very happy with my time. I got to DC about 7:15 am and got a 10:00 swim. We ate breakfast then found our cabana (best money I spent) by the aviary. The aviary is the best first thing in the morning if you are interested in feeding the birds. It is an amazing experience and we enjoyed that part a lot.

I agree with having a noodle, I did not realize the lazy river dipped down to 9 feet in some places. I can get tired easily so it was nice to have that noodle to relax with.

It was important for us to get our money's worth.

Have a great time. I put the link to my trip report from July if you are interested.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/awesome-day-at-dc-trip-report-with-pics.3646195/

I'm planning a trip for mid-August. My kids are 12,15,18 and all are competition swimmers, so I have no concerns about the swimming part of the day. My husband will not ever snorkel again, but would put on a suit and get in the water. I will not get in the water. I'll wear quick dri capris so I can walk around the edge, but that's it.

Tentatively planning dolphin, shark and ray add-ons for the kids. (I called and verified that my 18 year old can be the adult for the 12 year old)

1. Will I be able to view the dolphin, shark, and ray events?
2. Are there paths to walk around and see some of the lazy river by foot?
3. For a non-swimmer, is this really a sit on the beach and read day?

Thanks for your help.

I'm planning a trip for mid-August. My kids are 12,15,18 and all are competition swimmers, so I have no concerns about the swimming part of the day. My husband will not ever snorkel again, but would put on a suit and get in the water. I will not get in the water. I'll wear quick dri capris so I can walk around the edge, but that's it.

Tentatively planning dolphin, shark and ray add-ons for the kids. (I called and verified that my 18 year old can be the adult for the 12 year old)

1. Will I be able to view the dolphin, shark, and ray events?
2. Are there paths to walk around and see some of the lazy river by foot?
3. For a non-swimmer, is this really a sit on the beach and read day?

Thanks for your help.

1) Yes, you can stand on the beach right by the dolphins and watch their experience. I haven't been since the shark experience added but there is a bridge over the shark area. Paths from both sides through the foliage that will take you to the bridges. Looks like the Ray feeding is in the Grand Reef so you can stand on the beach edge since the more shallow area where they would do is close to the beach.

2) Lots of paths where you can go in to the Aviary via land, and see the birds (feed them) and see the lazy river wind through, paths around outskirts of the water areas all over, one bridge over lazy river.

3) Yes, breakfast and lunch, live music, bars you can visit for drinks and snacks, find out schedule for animal meets - you can meet a sloth!, gift shops, fun place to wander with camera and take shots of the beautiful plants.

This map will help you see exactly where everything is and the paths all around ...
https://discoverycove.com/en/premier-planning/park-map

You can see bridge here to shark watch -

Want a chair in the shade so that is reason enough to go early... how is the lazy river special?

Jenn

Pp included amazing pic of the lazy river, a few pointers, you have to wear either a wetsuit, swim vest or life jacket while in the water, and if you don’t have one you have to get out and hike to get one, I’m guessing so the life guards can see the yellow on them and know you are okay.
Also pp have mentioned it gets deep in areas, but is also really shallow in other areas, watch so you don’t scrape you’re toes,ouch. If you watch the bottom on the river most times it will change color when it is shallow, like a different colored or type of rock.
Swimming through the aviary was pretty cool too.

Not often you can relax at a theme park and not feel guilty about doing so. The place is made with R&R in mind. Yummy breakfast, prepare for dolphin swim....find a nice place to call home base....visit the birds or take a trip on the river.....have a leisurely lunch...check out some rays....imbibe in a few adult drinks, if that's your things..

I didn't think we'd stay that long either but before we knew it it was 5:00...time to pack up and go....and then still have the evening...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter