DIS Exclusive China 2017

The Shanghai skyline really is impressive. It looks like the skyline of the future anticipated by 1950s and 60s American sci-fi (without the flying cars, of course).

That's one of the reasons I love it. It's very Jetsons... very EPCOT... Perhaps not literally. If anything, Shanghai is even more dramatic than those, but it carries that feeling of what we anticipated the future to look like way back in the 60's. When you're standing on the Bund and look left at the up lit 1930's art deco buildings on one side bathed in warm white light and then turn to the right and see the multicolor spectrum of the tallest and most elaborate buildings in the world, it's pretty impressive.

As mentioned earlier, the last day of the ABD was spent in SHDL. We had a great morning with the imagineer. We watched the Pirates and Tarzan shows in the afternoon. Tarzan was in the spirit of a Chinese acrobat show. So, that was cool to see. Note that the locals rush in to find the best seats. Honestly, it’s not worth fighting it. We sat on the side where no one else wanted to sit. It was a theater in the round, and our seats were perfect.

Kate stayed all day in the park hunting for scavenger hunt clues. I went back to the resort to rest for a bit and change for dinner. Took the ferry back over and brought a change of clothes for Kate. And then the final dinner ensued.

Possible spoiler, although it’s been mentioned several times here on the ABD forum already. Our finale dinner was at Club 33. It seems to be all of the China ABD’s this year have eaten at Club 33 (not 100% sure on that), but needless to say there is no guarantee. It was, however, a wonderful experience. As Club 33 membership continues to expand in Shanghai, my guess is dinner will become more difficult for ABD to have there.

Club 33 is located sort of where the Crystal Palace in the Magic Kingdom is. It’s off Mickey Ave and faces the castle. If you see the Carthay Circle Theater at the end of Mickey Ave on the left, that’s where it is upstairs. There’s a courtyard and a discrete entrance (both from inside and outside the park).

Everyone entered and went straight to the merchandise cabinet to place orders. Many of the items were very popular and sold out in our group. There was an amazing black carpet bag (or duffle - not sure) that was particularly popular. That sold out. Pins sold out… Shirts and gorgeous scarves did well. Our group did some damage!

As you would expect the restaurant is beautiful and elegant. There are Disney animation touches everywhere. Private rooms themed very elegantly to Disney movies.

24393838498_fc01bbb3d2_c.jpg

38265073531_ca63c6f3bc_c.jpg

24393835498_a79678567a_c.jpg

24393836728_3997f82aa2_c.jpg

24393837278_ea38d0d573_c.jpg

Dinner was quite good.

38265079831_227f519fb8_c.jpg

37554357264_7393dfcdf7_c.jpg

37554357494_f026e28171_c.jpg

37554358224_413cf9b96c_c.jpg

37554358894_532f5bb7fe_c.jpg

There was a balcony which overlooked the Gardens of Imagination and the Castle where we could enjoy the fireworks show. It was a special treat.

38265074591_74944cbba8_c.jpg

38265075251_2207bcd911_c.jpg

38265077181_54db05a64b_c.jpg

38265076551_22329cb29b_c.jpg

38265078921_2b188bb15d_c.jpg

38265078431_cd2008e9c7_c.jpg

37554359354_92d65bb68c_c.jpg

We said our good-byes and just like that the ABD was over.

37554360114_824775d203_c.jpg

37554361414_16b0938315_c.jpg

37554361664_6e50dba2f9_c.jpg

37554362584_29db325ddb_c.jpg

Some of us headed back to the Bacchus Lounge. Some I saw for breakfast the next morning, but this was pretty much the end of the ABD. We stayed 2 more post nights which I’ll get to. The first we spent outside Shanghai in the Water Towns. The last we spent in SHDL.

It was a great trip. I was immediately on board when it was announced over a year ago. I was excited to show Kate some of the best of China. We were both excited to see HKDL and SHDL. It was an exhausting trip. The exhaustion really came to a head tomorrow when we went out to the Water Towns the next day. That was almost too much. More on that later. But the ABD itself was great. It was park centric which is what we wanted. Chengdu, Xi’an, and Guilin are great cities, but we really wanted more time in HK and Shanghai, especially in the parks. So, this was ideal for us. It really was an amazing itinerary. China is so big, honestly it’s difficult to to create 1 ABD to cover it all.

We went with a great group of people. We laughed together… we cried together… it was right before my 40th BD, so it was almost a birthday present to me particularly to see Shanghai Disneyland. I haven’t made it to all the parks yet. I still have DisneySea to get to. The last time I was in TDL, it was decades ago before Sea. I’m hoping to get there in the next year at least to check off the last Park box. Kate still has both Tokyo Parks to go and Paris. John (of Dreams Unlimited) was so nice to create pins for everyone that says Every Disney Park. So, no doubt there will be more trips to come so both Kate and I can “earn” the pins. :)

Last edited:

Val & I ordered t-shirts with the Every Disney Park logo on them. They came today and mine is great. However, Val got an "XL" (light blue v-neck) that is clearly not going to fit her. I'd be happy to send this to any of our group that thinks it might work for them as they aren't returnable.

Weather was near perfect. HK was hot, but the other days were great.

Was the weather typical of late October? Based on what people were wearing, Beijing looked warmer than I would have expected. I have my eye on next year’s Oct 21 departure, mostly because of the heat of Hong Kong earlier in the year.

Was the weather typical of late October? Based on what people were wearing, Beijing looked warmer than I would have expected. I have my eye on next year’s Oct 21 departure, mostly because of the heat of Hong Kong earlier in the year.

When we were looking at the forecast, it was ranging from 40's in Beijing to 90's in Hong Kong. I mean seriously, how does one pack for that?! Beijing didn't end up being that cold. When we left the hotel in the morning it was chilly, but in the afternoons it warmed up a lot. I'd wear a sweater in the morning and shed it in the afternoon. I think the weather was typical. If anything, Hong Kong was cooler than usual due to the proximity of the typhoon. It was still hot in the afternoon, but it wasn't the oppressive summer heat. In the summer I remember going to HKDL in the morning on our post days, and a few morning hours is all I could do. It was just too hot in the afternoon.

Post Days in Shanghai

For our first post day in Shanghai we took a tour of the Water Towns outside Shanghai. Our guide was Miki, - you can find her on TripAdvisor. We went on the tour with Jeremy and Tami from our ABD. This was something I wanted to do since my last China ABD but didn’t have time. I promised myself if I were to go to Shanghai again, I’d be sure to stay long enough to visit the Water Towns. I honestly can’t even remember the names of those we went to (there are many). My iPhone says the first was Jinzezhen and the second one in the evening was Xitang.

Originally she had me down for the wrong date. Thankfully, somehow Jeremy found out and asked me about the dates. I checked my emails… everything looked ok from my end, but I sent her an email to confirm and she did accidentally have the date wrong. She was very nice about it, and ultimately we joined Jeremy and Tami’s tour. We were very glad we went with them and we all had a great time…. overall.

It started off with a little bump that had a big impact towards the end of the tour. The driver was a few minutes late, and Mama Tiger would have none of that and called Miki to see what was going on. Turns out the driver was outside. SHDL Hotel refused him entry into the lobby where we were to meet him. Obviously no big deal, but Miki felt bad about it. So, she offered to add on an evening Water Town tour on top of the day Water Town tour for no additional fee. We told her no thanks. We wanted to get back no later than 7. All good. Off we go.

We drove out to the first Water Town. It was about a 2 hour drive. It’s amazing how far out Shanghai sprawls. But we made it. Rural Shanghai. No clue as to where we were, but Miki was there to meet us. She took us immediately to a local temple. It was a very special day - a once a year celebration of their ancestors where they burn money to send to their ancestors. Apparently they used to burn real money, but now they burn pieces of paper that represent money.

38236705426_3117495372_c.jpg

38270249781_0cb8ca627d_c.jpg

Around the corner from the temple were the canals. It’s very much a Chinese version of Venice. And just like Venice there are canals in touristy areas and those in not so touristy areas. This was a non touristy area. It was very peaceful. 10-20 years ago, the touristy areas looked very much like these. And more and more of these canals are being “discovered” and becoming more touristy.

38270251011_060e2670aa_c.jpg

38270251861_69b5ea1c4c_c.jpg

38270253251_3221cb2975_c.jpg

38270253911_869ed745cf_c.jpg

38270255301_969d037e09_c.jpg

38270255911_252ef50f64_c.jpg

38270256721_77a4ac8cf3_c.jpg

38270257941_9352fd3ddb_c.jpg

We traveled by boat to Miki’s tea house. There we got out and prepared for lunch. We were taught how to make dumplings. Folding the little vegetable and pork dumplings was cool. I certainly wasn’t great at it, but it worked. Kate as usual was a natural. Such a show off!

38215528486_df4d7c6c17_c.jpg

Next, lunch. The dim sum was only the last course. Let me tell you. Lunch was intense. I didn’t have much breakfast. So, I think I came in hungry enough. Lunch was an insane amount of food. And it was course by course. So, we felt obligated to do our best to finish each course to make it to the next course.

We were first served both sparkling wine and Lychee wine. I opened the sparkling wine and Kate opened the lychee wine.

38215529256_d2f6d7effa_c.jpg

It all started with soup. As I think back, it is laughable now just how hot this soup was. It was is this ceramic pot inside another ceramic pot for thermal insulation. Literally it took minutes before I could slurp the smallest volume imaginable from my spoon. For Miki, she drank it down like it was nothing. She got up to help with the next course a couple of times, and Jeremy, Tami and the two of us, we would look at each other with wide eyes wondering how we were going to get through the soup course. And there was so much of it! It was delicious, as all the food was. Chinese Chicken noodle soup. But man… the heat!

24420732438_c0870919d2_c.jpg

Next up were the hairy crabs. We had heard about these on our Hong Kong food tour. They’re very popular, seasonal and special. We were taught how to crack open the body of the crab with our hands and what to eat inside with our chop sticks… every part, but not the lungs. Kate asked, why not the lungs? Because there’s no nutritional value to the lungs. Fair enough. I was just thinking how can you tell the lungs apart from everything else. It all looks the same. We each had our own crab.

24420936268_69fed919ab_c.jpg

The next course was fish with green beans on the side. We had 1 fish per couple! They were delicious. But after the soup, the crab, and fish and vegetables and rice, I was done. It was so much food.

26516283849_18871a2c7a_c.jpg

At this point I was so full, I think I just stopped taking pictures. There were a couple of other dishes I’m forgetting. I think kung pao chicken was one of the courses. It was so much food. And then the dim sum. It was the best of all, and I struggled to make it through 2 pieces. I just couldn’t go on.

38215529666_e992a83a59_c.jpg

38215530366_4d6f3bc4a6_c.jpg

After dim sum I think there was a dessert, but I pretty much blacked out from gluttony at that point. If Kate reads this, maybe she can add the courses I forgot about.
***I think we went directly to dessert after this. Well, dessert China-style which was fruit. Some type of small apple-like fruit and grapes.***

After lunch it was recommended for us to walk around outside before coming back for the tea ceremony.

Miki changed for the tea ceremony and wore a beautiful traditional dress. We all sat around the table. She turned on some soft spa-like Chinese instrumental music. And she performed a tea ceremony showing us both green and black tea. We had multiple types of each. It was very impressive. But again, it was so hot. She would drink hers and Jeremy and I would look at each other almost cracking up the tea was so hot. We took the tiniest of sips. Bit by bit we made it.

38237363306_df652dcda2_c.jpg

Here’s an antique scroll with instructions for making tea I think.

38238426832_072f95a61a_c.jpg

We started with green tea. Interesting that green tea needs to be served in clear glasses. Black tea in more ceramic cups. The tea was delicious, but I found it difficult to drink the tea without getting tea leaves in my mouth. I don’t think anyone else had this problem. So, I was probably doing it wrong. After the epic lunch and spa like atmosphere, it was hard to stay awake during the ceremony.
***The green tea leaves (which I got a lot of in my mouth; I didn't realize Kevin thought no one else did) had a very nutty flavor and were the texture of grape leaves like those used in stuffed grape leaves/dolmades.***

38260463822_bf8303b314_c.jpg

It was beautiful, but it was time to wrap up. Miki asked what water town we would like to go to now. We had no preference but reminded her we needed to get back by 7pm. She chose Xitang. It was beautiful. I was tired, but interested to see a different water town. As you can see, it was beautiful. The sun was setting. The lanterns were lit. It was like a postcard.

37559369064_41be3c2310_c.jpg

37559369734_58116c54a4_c.jpg

37559370974_137ac1db0a_c.jpg

37559371894_d5e8b72ac4_c.jpg

37559372534_bf14471839_c.jpg

37559377534_42e39d2ec8_c.jpg

24399231078_ff7ea916ef_c.jpg

24399234478_b38486d787_c.jpg

24399236148_3606cf3e0d_c.jpg

38270302921_62e10f44c2_c.jpg

After enjoying the evening stroll, Miki asked us if we’d like a beer at her friend’s bar. Ok. We could have told her no thanks, but figured 1 beer. No problem. Then we’ll be on our way. Nope!

It was a karaoke bar. Miki encouraged us to perform. Kate was indeed brave enough. She asked for a Disney song. Maybe Part of Your World. They were playing Chinese pop music. No way they would have Disney songs.. But sure enough they found it and Kate took one for the team and sang Part of Your World. The beer came. It was huge! The bottle was twice the size as a normal beer bottle. Then for the next several songs, Miki and her friend or relative sang Chinese pop songs. No end in sight here. Maybe if we finished our beers, but honestly that was hard to do.

24399241208_b2a00e4d50_c.jpg

24399245388_d76d88dacb_c.jpg

It really was cool and fun. Never would I guessed I’d end up in a Chinese karaoke bar. But we were all fading fast and it was getting late. Jeremy and I were trying to figure out how to get out and get back to the resort. We had finally guessed that Miki felt bad about not being there to pick us up in the morning or that they were late, so she was adding a few extra evening hours to make it up to us. Not sure. It was absolutely magnificent, but at this point we just couldn’t get home fast enough. Kate excused herself to go outside away from the smoke. When we went into the bar, the sun was setting. Kate came back in and encouraged us all to come out and see what it looked like now that night had fallen. Kate arranged for our escape. We walked around a bit more and Miki asked if we’d like some free time to shop on our own. No thanks. We’re ready to go home.

24399249218_569371ac88_c.jpg

24399253078_b0e6af9743_c.jpg

Once night fell, it was one big party. There were so many more people there at night. There were lots of dance bars and karaoke bars. We passed one bar with a llama at the door. Tried to take a picture but they hid the llama from the camera.

38215565946_9098510183_c.jpg

Miki was so nice. She gave us parting gifts and bid us farewell. We ended up getting back around 8pm I think. We left at 8am. It was exhausting. I still couldn’t eat anything for dinner I was so full.

The tour was wonderful. Miki was an amazing guide. The lunch was epic, but in fact was very tasty. I’m glad we went, especially with friends. It was such a long day. I think in retrospect, this tour would be even better if it were towards the beginning of an already tiring vacation. It would also have been easier if we were staying on the Bund which is 30 minutes closer. It may sound like I didn’t enjoy it, but I really did. It was just intense - the drive, all the food, the length.

We met up with friends, Michael and Rob at the Bacchus lounge that evening before they went home the next day. We had a nice drink and said farewell. What a day! A wonderful day, but probably the most tiring of the trip for me.

Tomorrow we have our last full day at SHDL.

Last edited:
I wonder if that city with all the canals was Suzhou? As Li Bai says in the movie in Epcot's China its referred to as the Venice of the East.

I wonder if that city with all the canals was Suzhou? As Li Bai says in the movie in Epcot's China its referred to as the Venice of the East.

LOL

Growing up, the World Showcase was a BIG influence on me. It inspired me to see the Oseberg Ship Museum (DCL), St Marks Sq (on my own and DCL), Rotenburg (ABD), Temple of Heaven, etc. The Water Towns were no different. The reason I wanted to see them was because of Reflections of China. Too much geekiness? Nah..

When I set up the tour with Miki, I asked to visit Suzhou and that very courtyard from the movie. I know.. I fully admit I have a problem. :) Unfortunately she nixed the idea over email as it wasn't very convenient to anything else. So, I compromised on the specific water towns.

John asked if I had anything left on my bucket list. I told him no, but that's really not true. I still want to see Morocco. My last WS Country.

But next March, we all get to visit the Suzhou of the West! I'm very excited about that.

Boy, the water towns really sound amazing. I highly doubt I'll ever go back to China, but if I do, those are definitely on the list!

Sounds like you guys had a fabulous trip! I'm still quite glad that I did the trip I did; I can't imagine not going to Chengdu, Xi'an & especially Guilin & the Li River. But the weather you had sounds way more conducive to spending more time at the Parks.

And that suite you had at the Peninsula HK!!! A.MA.ZING!! I mean, the hotel itself is amazing, and you had the amazingest of amazing rooms! :)

What is the Suzhou of the West??

Sayhello

Morocco seems an easy add on after the Spain ABD :) Just sayin'....

We would be very close. However, I’ll
probably wait until I have more time to dedicate to Morocco. Likely a winter trip one of these years.

Boy, the water towns really sound amazing. I highly doubt I'll ever go back to China, but if I do, those are definitely on the list!

Sounds like you guys had a fabulous trip! I'm still quite glad that I did the trip I did; I can't imagine not going to Chengdu, Xi'an & especially Guilin & the Li River. But the weather you had sounds way more conducive to spending more time at the Parks.

And that suite you had at the Peninsula HK!!! A.MA.ZING!! I mean, the hotel itself is amazing, and you had the amazingest of amazing rooms! :)

What is the Suzhou of the West??

Sayhello

Yes it was an amazing trip. Both China ABD’s were. I can see myself going back to the parks in HK or Shanghai at some point years from now, but otherwise I’m pretty satisfied with the time I’ve spent in China. I’d consider Tibet at some point. I guess technically that’s China.

“Suzhou of the West” = Venice
It’s a line from the Reflections of China movie - Marco Polo called Suzhou the “Venice of the East”, but if I [Li Bai] we to have gone to Venice maybe they would now call it the “Suzhou of the West” :)

Fantastic trip report. We will be in Shanghai in January and interested in doing the water town tour with Miki. It's exactly the type of tour we are looking for. Looked at her Tours offered on Trip Advisor. Which tour did you and Kate book?

Yes it was an amazing trip. Both China ABD’s were. I can see myself going back to the parks in HK or Shanghai at some point years from now, but otherwise I’m pretty satisfied with the time I’ve spent in China. I’d consider Tibet at some point. I guess technically that’s China.

“Suzhou of the West” = Venice
It’s a line from the Reflections of China movie - Marco Polo called Suzhou the “Venice of the East”, but if I [Li Bai] we to have gone to Venice maybe they would now call it the “Suzhou of the West” :)
Tibet! Now that's exotic!

The Reflections of China is a 360 degree movie, right? I can't watch those. They make me ill. :) Thanks for the quote!

Sayhello

Fantastic trip report. We will be in Shanghai in January and interested in doing the water town tour with Miki. It's exactly the type of tour we are looking for. Looked at her Tours offered on Trip Advisor. Which tour did you and Kate book?

Thanks! It was the tour that included the water towns, cooking lesson and tea ceramony. She has a few tours, but I think this is her main one. If you’re planning on visiting SHDL, be sure to focus on that on a weekday. I’m sure you’ll have a great time.

Great trip report - thanks for sharing. I'm a bit sad now that we don't have the water towns on our own itinerary, but there's no way we can possibly squeeze them in; we already have a jam packed 2 weeks planned.

We'll have an evening + a full day at each of SHDL and HKDL. You've reaffirmed what I have heard elsewhere - this should be lots of time to see HKDL, but we'll only scratch the surface of SHDL. We're going to focus there on the key attractions that are different from their (Tron, Pirates, the challenge course) and anything else we squeeze in will just be gravy.

Did you notice any pin trading at either of these parks?

I'm going to look up Tim Ho Wan and hope that we are somewhat in the vicinity one day - we have the Disney dim sum lunch planned, but would like to try something a bit more authentic, too.

Great trip report - thanks for sharing. I'm a bit sad now that we don't have the water towns on our own itinerary, but there's no way we can possibly squeeze them in; we already have a jam packed 2 weeks planned.

We'll have an evening + a full day at each of SHDL and HKDL. You've reaffirmed what I have heard elsewhere - this should be lots of time to see HKDL, but we'll only scratch the surface of SHDL. We're going to focus there on the key attractions that are different from their (Tron, Pirates, the challenge course) and anything else we squeeze in will just be gravy.

Did you notice any pin trading at either of these parks?

I'm going to look up Tim Ho Wan and hope that we are somewhat in the vicinity one day - we have the Disney dim sum lunch planned, but would like to try something a bit more authentic, too.

Tim Ho Wan has a couple of restaurants around HK. The one we went to was on the Kowloon Side around Mong Kok. I recommend to take a taxi there, so it's easier to find. You can easily make your way back via train.

We spent our last full day in Shanghai Disneyland. It was great to have a 3rd day to repeat some of our favorite attractions and just walk around and appreciate the detail.

38340714456_e1ee9b88d1_c.jpg

38340722516_83fedaa52f_c.jpg

38340724616_5641c700e2_c.jpg

26620106789_3defa5cc66_c.jpg

You can definitely see the attempt to teach guests proper theme park etiquette. Shanghai gets some bad press as far as the cutting in line and counterfeit merch, and trash on the ground. I did see these issues, but they weren’t as bad as I was led to believe. Maybe it was the time of the year. Maybe being there on weekdays helped. The biggest negative issue was line cutting. Given the amount of guests, it’s not rampant, but it is annoying when it happens. Best strategy is be there with a friend. Stand side by side and just say no.

38340727286_aaced8ac74_c.jpg

26620078829_32f2ff1fd9_c.jpg

26620094969_a5f30d860a_c.jpg

26620096419_48a26af689_c.jpg

26620097839_4ac3e4f20f_c.jpg

At night we ate at Aurora on the top floor of the SHDL Hotel. It was very nice.

26620079959_888a937ea6_c.jpg

26620081849_080c268f31_c.jpg

I had lobster…

26620082849_c894773296_c.jpg

Kate had lamb…

26620084629_063b4dae30_c.jpg

The view from the balcony was amazing.

26620086569_3ee26f8bf2_c.jpg

26620088569_d9b61f50c3_c.jpg

Glutinous Rice soufflé was extremely good.

26620093079_75a1eaf0be_c.jpg

The next day we spent the morning in the Park. It was Friday and felt 3X as crowded. Everything from the turnstiles to the line at Pirates was incredibly crowded. So, try to avoid Friday. We did Pirates, the 3rd and last course at the Challenge Trails, and had a FP for Peter Pan. So, it was still a productive morning. After lunch we headed back to the hotel and caught our ride to the airport.

Overall, it was a great trip. There were overlaps with the regular China ABD, but most of it was unique to this custom trip. Highlights for me included going back to the Great Wall. The weather was perfect and changing of the leaves made for a nice contrast with the Wall. Seeing Shanghai Disneyland and the way we experienced it with VIP guides was another highlight. And lastly, sharing the experiences with good friends was the best part. It was an exhausting trip especially with the pre and post days. I’m happy to have seen more of China, but will probably not be returning for quite a while. Next up for us will be Spain next summer and Backstage Magic December of 2018. Hope you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter