Direct and membership perks? Help?!?

Put that $10k in the stock market and average 8% over the next 50 years and its only worth $539k. I AM rich, and there has to be a better reason to throw away half a million dollars than what Disney offers for direct perks.

what ever helps you sleep at night. good story bro.

One way of looking at it: VGC Direct vs Resale

- Direct 25 pts x $235 = $5,875
- Resale 25 pts x $175 = $4,375 (assuming $175/pt for a small VGC contract, if you can find it)

Difference is $1,500.

So over the 40 years life of the points, the average costs of those points for choosing direct over resale is $37.50 per year, for all the potential benefits (including food, merchandise, and ticket discounts, and access to special member events and the member cruises).

If you can afford the initial outlay, I would just do it.

ETA: The above is a simplistic approach and does not include MFs since they are the same whether buying direct or resale. Also, if you're getting 2017 points, then the value of those points, using Disney's OTU points cost of $17/pt, is $425. So, the difference drops to $1,075 ($1,500 - $425), lowering the average cost per year to $26.88. And, as a PP mentioned, closing costs should be much lower for direct (something like $150 vs $500?).
Thank you for all the work you put into that post. I appreciate it. The closing cost on this was $95. And we did get 2017 points but I have to pay prorated dues on that (at least that’s my understanding).

Thank you for all the work you put into that post. I appreciate it. The closing cost on this was $95. And we did get 2017 points but I have to pay prorated dues on that (at least that’s my understanding).
Congratulations on your purchase! Now DVC no longer considers you a 2nd class citizen (that is, until they change the rules again!). The closing cost on our 25 pt AKV add-on was $108.60. Surprised that your VGC was lower!

By the way, regarding the dues, and others can correct me if I'm wrong, my understanding is that you won't be paying any 2017 dues, only 2018 dues prorated from purchase date to end of year - and you should be billed for those 2018 dues in about a months time.

The closing cost on this was $95.

Congratulations! We are VGC owners and purchased a smallish direct VGC contract last year in addition to our resale VGC contract. We were amazed by the tiny closing cost fee, and really enjoyed the Disneyland Moonlight Magic.

We also took our first trip to WDW over NYE/Marathon weekend and were thankful to be able to take advantage of the amazing DVC AP offer, Epcot lounge, and DVC (same as AP) dining/merchandise discounts. DH and I are heading back in April for the AK MM/race weekend; November for Wine and Dine races; and have a room for the DCA MM. ...All of that to say that even if benefits disappear after this year, it will still have been worth it for our family! IMO you made a great choice in grabbing those points. :jumping1:

Congratulations on your purchase! Now DVC no longer considers you a 2nd class citizen (that is, until they change the rules again!). The closing cost on our 25 pt AKV add-on was $108.60. Surprised that your VGC was lower!

By the way, regarding the dues, and others can correct me if I'm wrong, my understanding is that you won't be paying any 2017 dues, only 2018 dues prorated from purchase date to end of year - and you should be billed for those 2018 dues in about a months time.

Correct you don’t pay any dues from 2017 only prorated on points in the current calendar year.

Correct you don’t pay any dues from 2017 only prorated on points in the current calendar year.

What a pleasant surprise that I don’t have to pay 2017 dues. Sweet.

We just had our waitlist approved for VGC and decided to purchase it. We already own direct but really wanted the 11 month booking window as we have been going to DLR a lot. To us, it was worth the $1500 more to get direct and our same use year.

We just had our waitlist approved for VGC and decided to purchase it. We already own direct but really wanted the 11 month booking window as we have been going to DLR a lot. To us, it was worth the $1500 more to get direct and our same use year.
Love VGC. We’ve been there 3 times in the last year. Congratulations!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts