Dining Review Boma 10/1 6:30p

Cannot_Wait_4Disney

The Colombo of Cippolini.
This is a hard place to review because there's no way I can guarantee you'll like it. If you haven't gone, my suggestion remains this. If you hate anything new or are a meat and potatos type, you won't like it. Otherwise, you're just going to have to give it a try.

This was a day we spent at AK. Because it closes at 5, we drive over to this one and head to the AKL to go bum around a bit afterward, then hit Boma.

We arrived at AKL about 6:15. As you enter the AKL's great room, Boma is downstairs on the right. Just follow the noise. You'll find it. I went to register and the podium was pure chaos. There were 2 women working the computers and people didn't know whether it was 1 or 2 lines. There was a bit of bickering when someone decided to make it two instead of one. It's the usual I have reservations, so do we exchange one can get at a crowded podium. The bar was also full. Anyway, the person that made two lines won out so I got behind em. There were then two lines. It took about 15 minutes just to get the pager. We had the same problem last year. They need to do something about it imo because what they're doing isn't quite working. Once we got the pager, the wait was about another 10 minutes for a table. We went out on the savannah for a quick look at the animals. It was feeding time. So they were all hanging around the food.
We got to our table. This time we got by the window (again). But this had a view of other parts of the hotel.

The server took our drink orders and we were off. I don't know why people do this at a 6 pod buffet area, but everyone was queueing to the far right at the prime rib table regardless of what they wanted. So I went right to the soup, salad, and such to get that first. The soup was fabulous. We had the pumpkin, a seafood bisque, potato bacon, and a really nice stew. Actually I had 3 bowls of stew and two of the seafood. Awesome soups. The fifth was a vegatable soup I didn't try. The Salads were well salads. These aren't in my opinion much to write home about. But I still try them.
One note. If you haven't been take very small portions of everything and try them the first time. Then get seconds of what you like.
On to the long line at the prime rib counter. There are several dishes other than the prime rib here. The prime rib was good, and the various sauces and things to put on it were tastey, But CM's cooked a better prime rib this trip. My wife got a fatty piece. It was her own fault. She forgot the CW4D rule of Disney prime rib. If the roast is small, wait for the next one. Of course when the line is 10 minutes to get a plate near this pod, well I guess you go with what you get. But it Serves her right for ordering anything done more than medium anyway.

The other hot bar had falafel, a rice dish, and a couple of things that were just plain American food that I didn't bother to try and completely forgot what they were. They were kiddo dishes. The kid's bar itself had Mac N Cheese, nuggets and typical kid's stuff.

The deserts were on average below par and the worst we had all week.. As a bread pudding junkie, you know what I went for first. The Banana flavored bread pudding. Rather than use banana's in the sauce, they made a banana bread pudding. They tried to use wholegrain in it as well. Back to the drawing board. boys!!! It was too soggy and very heavy and undercooked. Blech. The Zebra Domes this time up to par. They were fresh and deliciios.

Here as in CM's and 'Ohana, you can change out your drinks. We got chocolate milk, then went over to soft drinks. Also, you can order drinks from the bar (extra charge.) The bar itself is a good one. It's on a mezzanine level and is quite nice. Our server was quite friendly and kept everything replenished and got the plates. No complaints there.

Overall. We came away feeling less impressed with this place than on our last visit. Not that it was bad, it was good with the exception of my wife's prime rib (her fault) and the deserts. But it just didn't stand out like it did last year relative to where else we ate.

Value for the money or credit. We thought it was worth the $ price and worth a credit. I give it my reccomendation. We will return. The kiddo still loves it. But it came off the must do list for us this time. We'll try Jiko next trip.

Thanks for the review. Boma is one of our favorites (we're eating there 2 times on our upcoming trip!) and I love to hear details about all of the goodies.

Bummmber about the bread pudding. I've had it before, but it was made with croissants and there were chunks of bananas throughout. Sounds like they might have changed the recipe :(

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

If you like wines at all, try one of Boma's wine flights (I tried the red, they have a white flight, too). On the placemat is a description of each of the three wines and which types of food match best. What a difference in the taste of wine AND food when matched appropriately! I'd never paid any attention to this before (not much of a drinker) but I'll certainly do it again!

It sounds like the desserts are getting skimmpy. No pineapple cheesecake?? No Paaion fruit tarts??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter